First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Lux Ecoboost, FX4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230601_173230~2

Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230601_161605~2

The camera angle makes a big difference in how big this camper appears relative to the Maverick, haha.

I just picked up my new camper, the Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS, and brought it home. The camper has a dry weight of 3,204 lbs and a hitch weight of 470 lbs. Yes, I know, I know, Ford advises a limit of 400 lbs for the tongue weight. I'm using a weight-distributing hitch and, with the hitch installed and properly configured, I have a rear squat of only about 3/4". I'm pretty satisfied with that.

Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230601_150936

Squat measurement before hooking up.

Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230601_153556

Squat measurement after hooking up.

When I load my gear in the camper, I'll be concentrating most of the weight toward the back of the camper, when possible, to reduce the amount of weight brought forward onto the hitch.

My plan is to work remotely from this rig with a combination of campsite stays and dry camping/boondocking. I'm solo, so only the weight of one person and gear will be added to the truck and camper. I'm working on equipping the camper and loading it with my gear. Once I do, I'll be taking the entire rig to a scale to ensure that I am under the GCVWR. Whenever possible I plan to be running empty tanks to keep the weight down.

Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230601_195651

Monitors will be stowed and secured during travel from one site to another.

The big question - how did it handle? I certainly could tell that I had a trailer attached, but I never felt out of control on my drive back home. I was driving on relatively flat land at 65 mph with a 15 mph crosswind and averaged 13.2 mpg from the dealership to my residential street.

Ford Maverick Towing a 3,204lb (dry weight) Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS camper -- 2.0 Maverick EcoBoost handled it like a champ! 20230601_175134

I was able to accelerate satisfactorily and it got up to 70 mph with no issue and handling identically to 65 mph. I will likely keep my speed to 65 mph when I have all but a tailwind for the sake of fuel economy and safe handling.

I plan to keep this post updated as I continue this journey. I'll be making some local-ish trips (max of 4 hours away) in the next month or so to iron out all of the little things and to fill the gaps in the gear I have onboard. In July I plan to head westward to central Washington state where I have some friends that I'll be visiting, making stops along the way to work.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or thoughts!
Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good looking rig and happy for you. It seems to be the going thing today among both young and old - working remotely. I do not think you will have any problems. I have pulled travel trailers for years, but as I got older, went to a Class C Motor Home. I have noticed that if I can travel around 60-62, it makes quite a bit of difference in fuel economy. With my previous rig - RAM 1500 and 26' trailer - if I drove 68-70, I would get around 12-13, but if I dropped it to around 60, I could move up to 14-15. Happy trails and keep us posted.

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"10 Minute Tech" is a great book for new campers.

1 gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds but did you know 1 cubic foot of water weighs 62.4 pounds? Surprised? Me, too. It seems a gallon jug is "about" 1'x1'x1'. Apparently, it isn't even close!

I just threw that in here because I thought it was a cool fact.

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, there are 7.4805 gallons per cubic foot.

unclerunkle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting! Looking forward to following your journey.

Sponsored

Saboga

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 1954 Chevy truck, 1958 Airstream
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Be careful putting too much weight in the rear of the trailer. Trailers need 10-15% of their weight on the tongue for stability to control swaying. If you've ever seen a video of a swaying trailer that gets out of control, you will not want that to happen!

The weight-distribution hitch and maybe some AirLift 1000 air bags to control any squat will help a lot.

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with @Saboga Be very careful putting too much weight in the rear. I have been towing a log time and as a teenager tried to keep the weight off of the tongue to reduce squat, despite being warned by "old timers". I had a load start to sway, almost lost it. Ever since then I follow the 60 40 rule, 60% of the weight in front of the center of the axle(s). Which probably ends up being 10-15% on the tounge.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with @Saboga Be very careful putting too much weight in the rear. I have been towing a log time and as a teenager tried to keep the weight off of the tongue to reduce squat, despite being warned by "old timers". I had a load start to sway, almost lost it. Ever since then I follow the 60 40 rule, 60% of the weight in front of the center of the axle(s). Which probably ends up being 10-15% on the tounge.
I have heard all concerns about the weight distribution of my trailer loud and clear - I will NOT rearload the trailer 😂

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also use a WDH, there are the haters that say it's not needed. True, I would agree its not NECESSARY, but it makes the trailer tow so much better.
It's totally worth it for peace of mind for me.

Sponsored

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That sounds like a great setup and I hope you really enjoy it. WDH for the win. :)

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I will be curious what weight is will your gear loaded in your trailer.

BlueOval5.0

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-150 SuperCab XLT, 5.4L 3V, Chrome Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice setup. Interested in following your journey to see how truck handles it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Stealth Raccoon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Chevy S10
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Been looking at little trailers, and a few are affordable but right at 3000 lbs - good to hear it’s possible with the right setup!

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
20230601_173230~2.jpg

20230601_161605~2.jpg

The camera angle makes a big difference in how big this camper appears relative to the Maverick, haha.

I just picked up my new camper, the Cherokee Wolf Pup 16TS, and brought it home. The camper has a dry weight of 3,204 lbs and a hitch weight of 470 lbs. Yes, I know, I know, Ford advises a limit of 400 lbs for the tongue weight. I'm using a weight-distributing hitch and, with the hitch installed and properly configured, I have a rear squat of only about 3/4". I'm pretty satisfied with that.

20230601_150936.jpg

Squat measurement before hooking up.

20230601_153556.jpg

Squat measurement after hooking up.

When I load my gear in the camper, I'll be concentrating most of the weight toward the back of the camper, when possible, to reduce the amount of weight brought forward onto the hitch.

My plan is to work remotely from this rig with a combination of campsite stays and dry camping/boondocking. I'm solo, so only the weight of one person and gear will be added to the truck and camper. I'm working on equipping the camper and loading it with my gear. Once I do, I'll be taking the entire rig to a scale to ensure that I am under the GCVWR. Whenever possible I plan to be running empty tanks to keep the weight down.

20230601_195651.jpg

Monitors will be stowed and secured during travel from one site to another.

The big question - how did it handle? I certainly could tell that I had a trailer attached, but I never felt out of control on my drive back home. I was driving on relatively flat land at 65 mph with a 15 mph crosswind and averaged 13.2 mpg from the dealership to my residential street.

20230601_175134.jpg

I was able to accelerate satisfactorily and it got up to 70 mph with no issue and handling identically to 65 mph. I will likely keep my speed to 65 mph when I have all but a tailwind for the sake of fuel economy and safe handling.

I plan to keep this post updated as I continue this journey. I'll be making some local-ish trips (max of 4 hours away) in the next month or so to iron out all of the little things and to fill the gaps in the gear I have onboard. In July I plan to head westward to central Washington state where I have some friends that I'll be visiting, making stops along the way to work.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or thoughts!
Thanks. Yes, keep us informed on this. What do you figure your total towing weight was,?
Sponsored