First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just recently made over 3000 mile road trip from Norfolk VA to Backus MN in my new 22 Maverick to pick up my new 2022 16 ft Scamp trailer. The dry weight of the Scamp trailer was 2200 lbs and rough guesstimate that it’s just over 9 ft tall. The 1500 miles four day return trip was made in Tow/Haul mode at between 65 and 70 MPH for most part for an average of 17.5 MPG. The Maverick handled extremely well even at the occasional higher speed, the Maverick always had more than enough torque and horse power whether I passing tractor trailers or climbing the hills of Ohio or the mountains of Pennsylvania and West Virginia the Maverick never missed a beat. I’m pretty sure the Maverick will get better fuel economy when towing on flatter terrain and slower speeds but I’ll find that out later. The was surprisingly very comfortable for such a long trip, I did 15 hours straight the first day of my trip to Minnesota. The ACC with lane centering worked flawlessly and this trip leisurely and less like work so I wasn’t fatigued at the end of the day. I found that if towing with ACC turn off the lane centering and use the lane keeping feature instead. The Lane Centering system while towing will makes too many adjustments trying to keep both Maverick and the trailer between the lines and cause trailer sway. The 2022 Ford Maverick tows and preforms much better than I ever expected, I Truly believe that I made a sound decision and the best choice to truck ownership.

39E1FF2A-8724-4032-BCCE-9F05D49CD016.jpeg

847AF8B5-A9E6-48E0-9F1D-C335622B79D5.jpeg

AA2AD88E-6D14-46D8-A254-B4F65BB9C25C.jpeg
Thanks for sharing - that is very encouraging! We're 5 hours north of Backus. Wouldn't mind a Boler, I mean Scamp myself :^)

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
I thought my grandparents nicknamed their trailer the scamper, I didn't know that was like a normal word lol.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
that's what I was thinking when I saw the hitch and leveling was off. Hopefully a weight distribution hitch is in his future.
Or maybe level off the hitch ball, it looks like he has a little bit of a rise on it. I've been cautioned against using a weight distribution hitch for a unibody and such a light trailer. Plus, I wouldn't want to take the tongue weight hit. Once it's loaded and ready to go, I'm sure it will be a little heavier.

I plan to tow my teardrop in Jan (it's very tongue heavy), so we'll see how that goes. I previously towed it with an X3 and a Gladiator.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just recently made over 3000 mile road trip from Norfolk VA to Backus MN in my new 22 Maverick to pick up my new 2022 16 ft Scamp trailer. The dry weight of the Scamp trailer was 2200 lbs and rough guesstimate that it’s just over 9 ft tall. The 1500 miles four day return trip was made in Tow/Haul mode at between 65 and 70 MPH for most part for an average of 17.5 MPG. The Maverick handled extremely well even at the occasional higher speed, the Maverick always had more than enough torque and horse power whether I passing tractor trailers or climbing the hills of Ohio or the mountains of Pennsylvania and West Virginia the Maverick never missed a beat. I’m pretty sure the Maverick will get better fuel economy when towing on flatter terrain and slower speeds but I’ll find that out later. The was surprisingly very comfortable for such a long trip, I did 15 hours straight the first day of my trip to Minnesota. The ACC with lane centering worked flawlessly and this trip leisurely and less like work so I wasn’t fatigued at the end of the day. I found that if towing with ACC turn off the lane centering and use the lane keeping feature instead. The Lane Centering system while towing will makes too many adjustments trying to keep both Maverick and the trailer between the lines and cause trailer sway. The 2022 Ford Maverick tows and preforms much better than I ever expected, I Truly believe that I made a sound decision and the best choice to truck ownership.
Thanks for the review. Great information for all of us that occasionally tow light weight trailers, especially about turning off lane centering and using the lane keeping. A feature that I love. :love:

Sponsored

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape; 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the post. I have on order the Lariat Lux, 2.0, 4k tow for precisely the same purpose. I considered the hybrid with the 13' Scamp but after further review decided to play it safe and have the capability of towing the larger Scamp. Good info; gives me confidence that I made the right choice.

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
that's what I was thinking when I saw the hitch and leveling was off. Hopefully a weight distribution hitch is in his future.
Just need to get on a scale and weigh a whole trailer and then have 10 to 12% of that weight be on the tongue wt. right on the level of where it gets hitch to the vehicle.

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
That’s a cool little trailer. Your ball mount is a little high, I have been looking around for a flat one but have not found one yet. The only ones I see have several balls mounted permanently on them. If anyone finds one let us all know because I think we will need it.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s a cool little trailer. Your ball mount is a little high, I have been looking around for a flat one but have not found one yet. The only ones I see have several balls mounted permanently on them. If anyone finds one let us all know because I think we will need it.
so you are looking for a straight hitch, with our without ball? I have a straight 1 with welded on 2" ball as well as multiple rises and drops hitches with no balls (haha) for my different vehicles and trailer combinations. Might want to wait until you actually have your truck and trailer together to make sure you are buying correct type. Walmart and Harbor Freight are 2 places I start looking.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Or maybe level off the hitch ball, it looks like he has a little bit of a rise on it. I've been cautioned against using a weight distribution hitch for a unibody and such a light trailer. Plus, I wouldn't want to take the tongue weight hit. Once it's loaded and ready to go, I'm sure it will be a little heavier.

I plan to tow my teardrop in Jan (it's very tongue heavy), so we'll see how that goes. I previously towed it with an X3 and a Gladiator.
I did a little digging to see reasoning behind this. What I found was it's not recommended for CERTAIN types of unibody vehicles like Subaru, but not a blanket statement. I'm making sure to at least have trailer brakes on any trailer even if I decide the weight distribution hitch not needed for my mini toy box. Ford doesn't advertise it from what I can find, but Maverick trainer guy told me Mavericks do come with sway control, so I'm thinking Eco 2.0 AWD w/4k tow (which has trailer brake controller standard) and brakes on trailer will prove to be enough for my needs. I hope :oops:

Sponsored

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
so you are looking for a straight hitch, with our without ball? I have a straight 1 with welded on 2" ball as well as multiple rises and drops hitches with no balls (haha) for my different vehicles and trailer combinations. Might want to wait until you actually have your truck and trailer together to make sure you are buying correct type. Walmart and Harbor Freight are 2 places I start looking.
Been to harbor freight Home Depot. Lowe’s. U Haul. I need a interchangeable ball because I have 2 inch and 1 7/8 balls on several different trailers. I’ll find it somewhere on line I’m sure.

04mach146

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe, dodge eco-diesel
Been to harbor freight Home Depot. Lowe’s. U Haul. I need a interchangeable ball because I have 2 inch and 1 7/8 balls on several different trailers. I’ll find it somewhere on line I’m sure.
Try tractor supply or rural king.

OP
OP
Mav2Scamp

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Weigh the trailer on a scale,the way you have it and then weigh how much you have on the tongue weight, you may be a little light…
I went by the weight listed on the title.

OP
OP
Mav2Scamp

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
we want a scamp 16’ but isn’t the wait list like 2 years now?
I waited 13 months for my Scamp, I could have gotten on the waiting list and received one sooner neutral I wanted the extra time to save up for the down payment.
Sponsored