davedogg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Jeep Wrangler 2 Door for Mav.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just received my hybrid. This is my first tuck and looking into hitches. I will probably do some light towing light furniture and motorcycles and need a hitch. I know things like height and drop of the hitch come into play but the maverick is so low as wondering what people think. I was also thinking about leaving the hitch connected to act a bumper guard. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks for helping a noob truck owner.
Sponsored

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Use the search feature and enter Tow Hitch.

There are multiple threads on this. At this time, summed up as follows:
- Only a Ford Tow Hitch exists, which you can buy from the Ford Accessories site.
- I wrote a DIY install on it (on my hybrid)
- You need an aftermarket Curt wiring harness from etrailer, for the Bronco Sport, and a minor switching of the wires is required. Apart from that it all plugs into the Factory taillights and the Factory battery.

Congrats on the hybrid @davedogg !

OP
OP

davedogg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Jeep Wrangler 2 Door for Mav.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

- Only a Ford Tow Hitch exists, which you can buy from the Ford Accessories site.
- You need an aftermarket Curt wiring harness from etrailer, for the Bronco Sport, and a minor switching of the wires is required. Apart from that it all plugs into the Factory taillights and the Factory battery.

Congrats on the hybrid!

Thanks. I did see your thread on installing the hitch receiver. I may not be saying this correctly. What I am asking about is the actually tow hitch to put into the receiver.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. I did see your thread on installing the hitch receiver. I may not be saying this correctly. What I am asking about is the actually tow hitch to put into the receiver.
Ahhh got ya amigo. Can't help you, I'm still getting around to installing the wiring harness, and haven't gotten to that part yet. 😂

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@RonR1959 can chime in, he's already being towing with his truck.

Sponsored

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just ordered an adjustable Curt ball mount (model 45901) and a 2 inch trailer ball rated for 6000 pounds. I plan to tow a Scamp trailer (when it gets here) and an utility trailer for DYI projects.

Bunkyg

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Lariat Lux 2.5, Ranger, Forester, Goldwing
What you are referring to is called the "ball mount" The "hitch" is the framework and tube attached to the truck itself. The "receiver" is the name of the square tube itself.

As far as leaving a ball mount mounted full time, You can and I can guarantee that you will forget and walk into it, After that you will learn new words and remove it.

With my landscape trailer a 4" drop mount works well the 2" drop mount placed the tongue too high.

When you decide on a trailer look at the coupler (the part that goes over the ball) for the correct ball size. It matters

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just received my hybrid. This is my first tuck and looking into hitches. I will probably do some light towing light furniture and motorcycles and need a hitch. I know things like height and drop of the hitch come into play but the maverick is so low as wondering what people think. I was also thinking about leaving the hitch connected to act a bumper guard. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks for helping a noob truck owner.
This is what I used, a shackle hitch. I like it as it goes with the front tow hooks and looks better than the ball hitch and looks better than an open space. I got it off amazon.

Ford Maverick Tow Hitch Options Acc3

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are lucky all you have to deal with is the ball mount. Ford royally screwed anyone who didn't get a factory hitch. I just leave ball mounts installed and greased on my trucks. My kids don't walk into them any longer. It's like putting your hand on a stove top. You learn quick

same with tailgates people these days seem to think are so dangerous that they need shocks

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what I used, a shackle hitch. I like it as it goes with the front tow hooks and looks better than the ball hitch and looks better than an open space. I got it off amazon.

Acc3.jpg
Ohhhh I like this as well!!! Wanna share a link to it on Amazon? I do like this look way more. :)

Sponsored

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ohhhh I like this as well!!! Wanna share a link to it on Amazon? I do like this look way more. :)
They have different color choices besides black.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you want to guard your bumper, just put a hitch cover on your receiver. This is what I have:

Ford Maverick Tow Hitch Options GB Packers hitch cover

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are lucky all you have to deal with is the ball mount. Ford royally screwed anyone who didn't get a factory hitch. I just leave ball mounts installed and greased on my trucks. My kids don't walk into them any longer. It's like putting your hand on a stove top. You learn quick

same with tailgates people these days seem to think are so dangerous that they need shocks
I was debating getting the tailgate damper since people claim it’s essential. But then I realized I never had a damper on my old S-10 and it wasn’t a big deal. In fact I like that I can open the tailgate faster than with a dampener.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Congrats on the hybrid @davedogg !
And all the parts needed will set you back around $500 and that's if you do it yourself

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And all the parts needed will set you back around $500 and that's if you do it yourself
It's actually closer to $400.
So it's $305 IF you pay full price on the Tow Hitch from Ford Accessories, and around $100 for the Bronco Sport wiring harness from etrailer. So roughly around 300 more than from the factory, but you aint financing it. :)
Sponsored