EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well guys,

I just got back from the hospital with my brother. My truck was totaled today so now someone else has the nicest Maverick on the road.

We were hit at an estimated 50-60mph by a woman who was apparently under the influence and ran a red light at 12:00pm in the afternoon.

We were going through an intersection after waiting for a light at a 6 way intersection. We were almost through the intersection and a woman in a 2022 Dodge Charger just flew through the light trying to turn and obliterated the front end of my Maverick. She shot through traffic like a movie. I believe she may have also hit the guy next to us as she weaved through the intersection but they never stopped, probably because they didn't have insurance.

I saw her at the last second and tried my best to stop but she hit from the front and side. So many thoughts flashed through my mind at that last second when I knew what was about to happen and then ...BOOM the loudest and hardest hit as the hood folded up. I looked over to see my brother was OK and then looked over to her. She had jumped out to access the damage and then hopped back into her car to try to get away. Lucky she had catastrophically damaged her Charger so that all her airbags deployed, the engine wouldn't start and the control arm was broken on her front tire.

What happened next was a circus. We made it clear she wasn't going anywhere. The police arrived fast because they were blocks away. I hobbled off to the side of the road and laid against a building in pain while my brother handled the situation. They conducted a field sobriety test. She had been drinking and had an open container in the car. We heard they apparently also found drugs. This is where it gets good. As they handcuffed her she began fighting with police. 3 officers against her. My brother said she tried to run when they put cuffs on her. I could not see from where I was laying on the ground but they had to taze her to get her to comply and I could hear it. I guess the police finally got her under control and she went to jail. Witnesses who saw the accident stopped to wait for police, and one couple said she blew through a stop sign 2 blocks away and almost took them out too. They told police it looked like she was doing 80 when she hit us. What a circus.

As for the Maverick. Its done. It took that hit so hard. We both had our seatbelts on thankfully. What I want to know is why only the lower knee airbag went off on my side possibly causing this damage to my knee.
Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav4
Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav3
Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav1
Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav5
Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav2
l The whole front end is destroyed and pushed in. All the fluids were on the street. The fact the driver and passenger steering wheel and dash airbags didn't go off is very scary I think further investigation into this is needed. My wrist is messed up from the wheel, my knee is messed up from possibly the lower air bag, my ankle is hyper extended and I have whiplash. The rest of my body feels like I was beaten with a baseball bat in a streetfight. God knows what I will feel like in the AM.

I was one of the first to order a Maverick, exactly the way I wanted it. I loved it. It was the exact truck I wanted. Now because of the actions of some scumbag it will be gone. I cannot even order another one exactly like this because FORD changed the XL so you can't order a Sunroof. I got my truck last October so I felt like an ambassador of the Maverick being a first to many aftermarket parts and options. I have answered so many questions since purchasing and have totally hyped the product.

I really liked this truck. I spent a lot of time making it PERFECT. At least my brother and I are relatively OK and alive although I'm banged up and in pain.

Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav4

Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav3

Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav1

Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav5

Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick mav2
Sponsored

Last edited:

SR-71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, I really feel for you and your brother. Really glad neither of you weren’t hurt worse.

Yes, it’s disturbing that the airbags didn’t deploy correctly - hopefully that will be thoroughly investigated.

mavericktwc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh man - I’m so sorry to hear about this, but glad to hear you guys are relatively ok physically. I really did like your truck too - I’m a big fan of white/black contrast. It is troubling, got a recall notice in the mail about the side airbags, now after seeing this makes me a little uneasy.

- take care

BradGroux

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Website
msft.expert
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really sorry you had to go through all of that, but glad you and your brother are alright. It is strange that the air bags didn’t go off, I’d definitely report that to the NHTSA.

There are airbags all over the cabin, and none of them went off? If your knee hurts, I am guessing the lower airbags did deploy?

Sponsored

Mav2112

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
after reading your post, I remembered reading a complaint on the nhsta site that has always stuck out to me. Is there more to this side airbag recall than what ford is letting on? Are the new modules being installed correcting more than simply a side impact malfunction? Just seems odd to me.
Report this to the nhsta for sure; I’m glad you were okay but someone else may not be next time.

Ford Maverick Totaled! The most beautiful Maverick is off the road RIP vezpa's Maverick 0D4D29BC-6F0D-462B-98AC-721E2168D105

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That sucks but there was a guy on here who got rear ended and they totaled his earlier this week. It is definitely not unheard of to sew two good unibody halves together. And in this market for coveted Mavericks, it may be worth it for yall.

Daveo89

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Ford Motor Company - Here's something that needs looked into.

Generally speaking, which airbags deploy is based on the force and direction of impact. For example, I was T-Boned in a 2016 Explorer, all the side facing airbags (curtain, seat back, and seat belt) deployed, but not front facing. The knee bag usually blows from a high impact event, there really should have been more bags deployed in this scenario.

Sponsored

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awful. I’m glad you guys walked away. From your explanation, you were stopped, just pulling through the intersection, almost through, I bet you weren’t moving fast enough to activate most of the airbags.

KFBR392

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awful. I’m glad you guys walked away. From your explanation, you were stopped, just pulling through the intersection, almost through, I bet you weren’t moving fast enough to activate most of the airbags.
By that logic, a stationary vehicle will not blow airbags when hit. Obviously not true. Bags should’ve probably gone off here.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Super sorry to hear this. Glad it's not worse, but so unfortunate.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm glad you're OK, first and foremost.

The airbag thing is not as simple as you think. You weren't directly t-boned and weren't hit directly head on. The deceleration detected by the sensors was not high enough to deploy the front or side airbags. Every single accident is different, so anyone else telling you that airbags deployed in their accident - that is completely and totally irrelevant.

I would not have been surprised to see airbag deployment in this accident, but I am also not surprised at all to see that they didn't. When you assert "they should have" deployed, you need to analyze whether or not they would have provided any benefit to you whatsoever. It almost sounds like the deployment of the knee bag made things worse and not better in this instance, which is telling. Airbag deployment is not without risk. You should not want airbag deployment to occur unless it is absolutely necessary to protect your head, chest, and abdomen. Unnecessary deployment can cause injuries as might the case with the knee bag.

Looking at what you say are your injuries.. your wrist being hurt by the wheel might have been worse had the driver airbag deployed. Your knee airbag probably should not have deployed at all. Your ankle would not have been protected by any airbag. And whiplash is not something an airbag is designed to help. Analyzed that way, I hope you can see that the airbags performed as designed by not deploying.

Car crashes suck and even when you walk away, it is still painful. But it seems to me that the Maverick did the job right here - save for the odd deployment of the knee bag.

I wish you a speedy recovery (and a large payout) and hope that you find another vehicle that you love as much as you did this Maverick.

Last edited:

xlt-doug

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick (soon) Escape (current)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry about your Mav but at least you’re both alive. I would start looking for a Maverick off a lot somewhere as I imagine you’ll get some money from this POS. Been seeing some lately turning up at dealerships from unclaimed orders. Good luck
Sponsored