First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is anybody else having severe engine lugging around 30-40mph on a 4k tow package equipped maverick? I had a regular ecoboost maverick and once in a blue moon would it lug but nothing like the maverick I currently have. Is it the different gearing in the 4k equipped models?
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My understanding is that the units with 4k towing do have a different gear ratio than the non-tow package models.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My understanding is that the units with 4k towing do have a different gear ratio than the non-tow package models.
They have a shorter gear ratio, and would be less likely to lug. Clutch lockup should not cause that unless you are under heavy load and it does not come OUT of lockup for some reason. I have 4k and have not had that issue.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They have a shorter gear ratio, and would be less likely to lug. Clutch lockup should not cause that unless you are under heavy load and it does not come OUT of lockup for some reason. I have 4k and have not had that issue.
I was just answering the OP's question about whether or not it had a different gear ratio. Not saying that was the cause of his issue.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was just answering the OP's question about whether or not it had a different gear ratio. Not saying that was the cause of his issue.
For sure. My reply was mostly to him

Sponsored

OP
OP
TDawg

TDawg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For sure. My reply was mostly to him

Ok that makes sense. A trip to the dealer is in order. The transmission wants to shift to the highest gear possible and the rpm’s drop to like just above 1k and it has a severe vibration.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Is anybody else having severe engine lugging around 30-40mph on a 4k tow package equipped maverick? I had a regular ecoboost maverick and once in a blue moon would it lug but nothing like the maverick I currently have. Is it the different gearing in the 4k equipped models?
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP
TDawg

TDawg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

3FTTW8F90NRB11008, Gordie Boucher Ford, the problem is I can’t get an appointment for like two weeks

LakeCamelot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler and F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've noticed the same thing here with my 2.0 eco FX4 and towing package. The odd thing is I noticed it shortly after delivery back in March 2023 but seemed to go away in summer. Now that it's colder here I have again noticed it. Switching to tow/haul mode in town when at these 25-40mph speeds solves it, but at the price of extra fuel usage.
I've been using premium 91-93 octane since delivery.

Sponsored

ndmiller

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Azure Blue Metallic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been using premium 91-93 octane since delivery.
Still waiting for my truck but I thought regular was all that was needed in both Hybrid and Ecoboost. Why use premium?

In GA it's $0.20-$0.40 more expensive....reason for the question.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Zero issues with my awd 4k tow so far, not even a squeak or rattle, not a single recall, pray it stays that way. Hope your dealer can remedy the issue soon, good luck

ndmiller

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Azure Blue Metallic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
87 is fine for a hybrid or the ecoboost. Ford recommends a higher octane rating for best performance or under certain other conditions.
So funny trying to download the 24 manual on the other thread.

Thank you, in my mind 2.0L Turbo=91, I was skeptical of the 87 anyway.

LakeCamelot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler and F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No real reason for the higher octane usage other than the many different opinions. Some say 87 is good enough and others stating 91+. The extra cost isn’t a biggie to me coming from a 20 yr old F150. Also only drive about 10k per year.
but otherwise I have about 7,000 on it and runs and drives great (other than the lugging at low speeds at times ) I did need the recall for the trailer towing wiring. Had brake/turn signals but no night time clearance lights.
Sponsored