First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a XLT Hybrid almost approx. 1 year ago! It will finally be delivered this week. I never canceled my order. To my surprise the dealership called me to see if I still wanted to pick it up!

Meanwhile, with much luck, I snagged a Maverick back in December 20’ - a Hot-Pepper Red, FX4 EcoBoost XLT. Have around 3,900 miles on it. I have slightly larger AT BFG tires. never have got above 27mpg, especially driving around town when I’m getting 19-20.

update: thanks for the input everyone! Went and picked up my hybrid maverick I ordered in JUNE 21! The dealership honored MSRP— Honored the lower 2021 MSRP at that!! They gave me Ford college grad discount, and I qualified for Ford Credit’s 0% 36 month financing.

It gets better… I had sold our Tesla MY to carvana - but since they were coming a few days from now to pick it up- i decided to try to see if dealership would match Carvana offer. They didn’t at first but with some haggling they actually came in $400 less and because my state offers a tax trade-in savings, I paid $0 sales tax which saved about $2,100 right there. The equity I had in Tesla wiped off 1/2 the price of this maverick lol - makes no sense but hey, I’ll take it!!

first thoughts - I LOVE the hybrid ride and handling and gas mpg over Anything the AWD gas FX4 can offer. I love the velocity blue and now prefer it over hot pepper red. The spray in bed liner is much nicer but rougher than drop in bed they since switched to in the hybrid but it’s still a nice quality liner. Also the hybrid has one additional thing - CoPilot. The blind spot lights in mirrors is great and I highly recommend it.

Ford Maverick Took delivery of Hybrid - already own FX4 AF513BD2-DEE4-4889-93C4-C5D0BD6EEE73
Sponsored

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you pay a markup on the XLT? If you got it anywhere close to MSRP, you are not likely to lose money. Try to sell it to Carvana/Vroom/Carmax. We paid MSRP for our XL Ecoboost and have already been offered $9k more than we paid.

I'd go to the hybrid in a heartbeat.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the hybrid is your jam, I'd go for that.

If your dealer gives you a good trade in price and your state does the sales tax trade in wash, you might actually save money compared to private party sales.

If that you want to stick to private party it might be worth holding both (if you can afford) just to be sure your hybrid doesn't end up in the shop for 2 months for some random reason

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you pay a markup on the XLT? If you got it anywhere close to MSRP, you are not likely to lose money. Try to sell it to Carvana/Vroom/Carmax. We paid MSRP for our XL Ecoboost and have already been offered $9k more than we paid.

I'd go to the hybrid in a heartbeat.
No I paid msrp off the lot! (Capitol Ford, SantaFe NM)

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the hybrid is your jam, I'd go for that.

If your dealer gives you a good trade in price and your state does the sales tax trade in wash, you might actually save money compared to private party sales.

If that you want to stick to private party it might be worth holding both (if you can afford) just to be sure your hybrid doesn't end up in the shop for 2 months for some random reason
Yea, CO does the tax reduction based on trade in! You’re following my exact thoughts lol.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The tax thing - paying the tax on difference of value - is nice, but you still may come out well ahead selling it to Carvana/Carmax/Vroom.

You can explore the options.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Break out the spreadsheet and calculate how it all shakes out. Making 9k on private party sounds good till you realize 2-3k of that is gonna go to taxes.

Not saying it's a slam dunk, but it's worth doing the math.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sell one of them to Carvana or some other online dealer (VRoom, CarMax Etc).

Personally I would keep the Hybrid and sell the EcoBoost.
However the Hybrid has a higher resale value.

The Used Car market is still nuts.

I am not selling my Hybrid but I got this offer from Carvana on April 13th.

It was for $31,196 which is $5,128 over my total out-the-door price of $26,068 (price before TT&L was $24,174) that I paid on December 13th. I had 1100 miles on the Maverick on the offer date.

Ford Maverick Took delivery of Hybrid - already own FX4 Carvana XLT Maverick Hybrid.JPG

Ford Maverick Took delivery of Hybrid - already own FX4 Buyer's Order

Deleted member 1483

I am a hybrid owner (ask me anything). I went from an awd vehicle to the fwd Maverick after doing research and realizing that it's probably not worth it to have awd. TFL truck takes a hybrid loaded with 1750 pounds up and down a farm track. Can most of us honestly say we would be on any worse roads than that?

Safety for snow/rain? I've never even had traction control or awd engage in the rain. My last vehicle nearly had a bad accident in the snow and I realized that AWD would not prevent that. I am planning on putting snow (or if it comes down to it) all terrain tires on my hybrid.

I can't say i've had it long enough to do more than a few construction site roads which any car could do. I've had no issues. I very much prefer the e-cvt to my last 6 speed auto as well. Truck has plenty of power.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The tax thing - paying the tax on difference of value - is nice, but you still may come out well ahead selling it to Carvana/Carmax/Vroom.

You can explore the options.
I have found that the dealers trade in values to be the worst and even counting the "Sales Tax Savings" you come out much worse than selling to one of the online car companies like Carvana, VRoom, CarMax Etc.

My dealer offered me $11,750 for my 2015 Honda Fit Ex but I sold it to Carvana for $16,523 last October.

Sales tax of 6.25% on $11,750 is $734.38 so the dealers off was worth $12,484.38 or $4,038.62 worse than Carvana. Needless to say I took the Carvana offer.

Ford Maverick Took delivery of Hybrid - already own FX4 Carvana $16,523 offer.JPG

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sell one of them to Carvana or some other online dealer (VRoom, CarMax Etc).

Personally I would keep the Hybrid and sell the EcoBoost.
However the Hybrid has a higher resale value.

The Used Car market is still nuts.

I am not selling my Hybrid but I got this offer from Carvana on April 13th.

It was for $31,196 which is $5,128 over my total out-the-door price of $26,068 (price before TT&L was $24,174) that I paid on December 13th. I had 1100 miles on the Maverick on the offer date.

Carvana XLT Maverick Hybrid.JPG

Buyer's Order.jpg
That’s basically why we are seeking the Tesla, besides we are too crazy about it. It’s $13K cash AFTER we pay off loan. And it’s Carvana price is more than we paid MSRP 1.5yrs ago.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I ordered a XLT Hybrid almost approx. 1 year ago! It will finally be delivered this week. I never canceled my order. To my surprise the dealership called me to see if I still wanted to pick it up!

Meanwhile, with much luck, I snagged a Maverick back in December 20’ - a Hot-Pepper Red, FX4 EcoBoost XLT. Have around 3,900 miles on it. I have slightly larger AT BFG tires. never have got above 27mpg, especially driving around town when I’m getting 19-20.

I’m so tempted to switch to hybrid. The two have the exact feature packages. My FX4 does NOT have the 4K tow package. So really, is 10-15mpg LESS worth having AWD?
The FX4 and 4K tow packages overlap quite a bit w/ features but the FX4 alone doesn’t really help much because it’s really not a off-road vehicle despite the FX4 graphic on the fin suggesting it might be. I’m talking back forest and fire roads, not dirt country roads with some mud and potholes when I think of capability.
Do I hold and wait for a better AWD Hybrid (like our prior 20’ Escape was) or possibly electric truck once things catch up?
I can’t say with the Mav’s limited off-road capability it would truly be much different than a front wheel drive only version. I’m becoming more convinced if you don’t have the 4K tow package, you have no real need for the EcoBoost or AWD no matter how you try to spin it… but that opinion is exclusive to Maverick; I do understand the need for AWD

What would you do? I’d probably lose a few grand on the FX4 when you factor in the tires, registration, taxes, etc. but aside from that it’s value is right about it’s original MSRP where we live.
The nit-picky in me doesn’t like the display screen in hybrid XLT as much as the Lariat/FX4 display. And I love the look of the front row hooks.

edit: we orig got FX4 as this was a secondary vehicle behind our Tesla Y. Mav will be our 1 main car for foreseeable future as we don’t drive a lot. We just sold Tesla - not for affordability but I’m just done with Tesla lol long story- and no, nothing to do with Elon, twitter, or affordability.
I have a RAV4 hybrid that I originally planned on trading in for the Maverick. I love the mpg, but more importantly in New Jersey I only drive a AWD in the winter. So I ordered the Ecoboost AWD in September (still no build date). With the wait, and the wait oh and the wait for the Maverick, I have decided to keep the Rav and I’m really sorry I didn’t order a Hybrid. I usually have 2 vehicles, so I would have the RAV4 for snow and the hybrid Maverick for show!

OP
OP
mrjspence

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a RAV4 hybrid that I originally planned on trading in for the Maverick. I love the mpg, but more importantly in New Jersey I only drive a AWD in the winter. So I ordered the Ecoboost AWD in September (still no build date). With the wait, and the wait oh and the wait for the Maverick, I have decided to keep the Rav and I’m really sorry I didn’t order a Hybrid. I usually have 2 vehicles, so I would have the RAV4 for snow and the hybrid Maverick for show!
I had the original Model 3 with RWD when we lived in New York a few years back… blunder lol but I’m curious with high end tires if the maverick hybrid could still do okay. I’m a believer it’s more about stopping than starting in the snow/ice.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd love to hear more about your "done with Tesla" comment. Big EV fan here, but don't own one yet - still waiting for solid state and lower prices and more selection (like a small BEV trucket).
Sponsored