Sponsored

Tonneau covers - trifold vs hard roll up?

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm getting a tri-fold because I live in the forest and I feel like it will a) hold up better to acorns and fallen branches and b) even if it is damaged, it would still function with a big dent, which I feel like wont be true for the rolling cover's mechanisms.
I actually hadn't thought of that. damage might make a rollup unusable. I had already decided on a tri fold anyway but it's more points in favor of a trifold.
Sponsored

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hey ,I'm sorry to ask it's probably already been answered but does Ford make their own tonneau covers or do they contract them out to somebody?? If so do you know who. Thank you so very much .
I just pickup my trifold tonneau from Ford. The instructions say it is made by Rev Industries. Took about an hour is install with a 9/16” wrench and Philips screwdriver. I used Ford Pass points, but would suggest if you are paying outright to look at other manufactures. I think you could save several hundred dollars For basically the same cover. Paying too much for the Ford decal🤔

Ford Maverick Tonneau covers - trifold vs hard roll up? image

Ford Maverick Tonneau covers - trifold vs hard roll up? image

Last edited:

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thank you so much for that information that is exactly what I need with the pics sincerely Brother Mag 👍

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thank you so much for that information that is exactly what I need with the pics sincerely Brother Mag 👍

Tazgarde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid2015 Honda CBR300RA
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Curious what everyone thinks between these two options. I’m in Ontario Canada and can get hit with some intense snowstorms and temperature shifts so I’ve heard people say going with a hard cover is preferred for durability.

What does everyone recommend between tri fold and hard roll up?
I'm in Ontario as well and have had the same soft roll up on my Ranger since 2010.

The first 6 years were spent parked on a driveway outdoors and I've never once, to this day, had any concerns about the amount of snow or temperature changes. My tonneau has three poles attached to the underside that provide support across the bed, so it's not like the soft tonneau is stretched out over a 4' x 6' area. The only "issue" I've had is the hook and loop of the velcro along the sides is less grippy than it used to be, and one of my velcro straps that holds the tonneau in the rolled position has pretty much disintegrated, but I can't complain for 10 years of service. Otherwise, no rips, tears, or broken parts.

That being said, I've opted for the soft roll up on my Mav simply because I like the ability to just roll it up and it's out of the way. Tri-folds are easy enough to remove, but then you need to put them somewhere, plus they block your rear view if driving in the up position. Not a huge problem if you plan in advance, but one I'd rather not worry about.

Long story long, I feel it's more a matter of use preference versus durability.

Sponsored

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No problem at all, please let me know if you need any additional pic’s or info.

one thing I did really like, this tonneau is made in the USA…always a win in my book.

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Curious what everyone thinks between these two options. I’m in Ontario Canada and can get hit with some intense snowstorms and temperature shifts so I’ve heard people say going with a hard cover is preferred for durability.

What does everyone recommend between tri fold and hard roll up?
In cold weather hard folding because hard roll up gets stiff

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just pickup my trifold tonneau from Ford. The instructions say it is made by Rev Industries. Took about an hour is install with a 9/16” wrench and Philips screwdriver. I used Ford Pass points, but would suggest if you are paying outright to look at other manufactures. I think you could save several hundred dollars For basically the same cover. Paying too much for the Ford decal🤔
Rev is owned by BAK Industries, and if you order the cover through BAK it is $200 less and has a five year warranty vs Ford’s three year.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They contract them out. I know BAK makes some of them, and they will put a FORD logo on them.
Ford‘s hard trifold and hard roll up are made by Rev which in turn is by Bak. Buy through Bak to save $200 and get a five year vs three year warranty from Ford.

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford‘s hard trifold and hard roll up are made by Rev which in turn is by Bak. Buy through Bak to save $200 and get a five year vs three year warranty from Ford.
I don’t know that is a true statement. The link below indicates that Rev Industries in owned by Rev Group and is publicly traded as ”REVG”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REV_Group

BAK still could be a better value, I’m just saying they appear to not be one in the same company.

BAK industries is owned by The AAM Group
https://theaamgroup.com/manufacturers/

Last edited:
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t know that is a true statement. The link below indicates that Rev Industries in owned by Rev Group and is publicly traded as ”REVG”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REV_Group

BAK still could be a better value, I’m just saying they appear to not be one in the same company.
BAK is their subsidiary brand that sells direct to OEMs.

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just chatted with Bak and they said their hard trip-fold and hard roll-up will not be available until January. ☹ I'm up in the air on which and I thought availability would be the deciding factor, but now I may have to look elsewhere.

SinnerSavedByGrace

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
No problem at all, please let me know if you need any additional pic’s or info.

one thing I did really like, this tonneau is made in the USA…always a win in my book.

I have this ordered with my Hybrid. How well does it keep water out of the bed? Not sure if you have had a chance to test that yet, but this is something I wonder about. I know the hard tri-folds are not 100% waterproof. I am just curious how well fitted they had this since it is a new model.

Thanks!

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just chatted with Bak and they said their hard trip-fold and hard roll-up will not be available until January. ☹ I'm up in the air on which and I thought availability would be the deciding factor, but now I may have to look elsewhere.
I have this ordered with my Hybrid. How well does it keep water out of the bed? Not sure if you have had a chance to test that yet, but this is something I wonder about. I know the hard tri-folds are not 100% waterproof. I am just curious how well fitted they had this since it is a new model.

Thanks!
I actually don’t know, I installed it two days ago. It seems like it should be pretty good.

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually don’t know, I installed it two days ago. It seems like it should be pretty good.
My truck is supposed to be here between Dec. 21st and the 27th. If I can't find something sooner I will definitely think of going your route! Thanks
Sponsored