Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the TruXport, this one from Ford. I have not had any water intrusion when driving in heavy rain, except for a few splashes from below. Yes, through some of the bed's floor openings and a tad at the bottom of the tailgate. The side rails are gasketed and clamp down firmly, the front rail (if positioned and the included strip is positioned properly) is gasketed too.
I've had Extang and some other TruXedo covers on previous trucks and they've all performed well. I haven't noted the Maverick being affected differently than my previous trucks, although the cab/bed point is valid in that there isn't the typical gap to divert water.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the TruXport, this one from Ford. I have not had any water intrusion when driving in heavy rain, except for a few splashes from below. Yes, through some of the bed's floor openings and a tad at the bottom of the tailgate. The side rails are gasketed and clam down firmly, the front rail (if positioned and the included strip is positioned properly, is gasketed too.
I've had Extang and some other TruXedo covers on previous trucks and they've all performed well. I haven't noted the Maverick being affected differently than my previous trucks, although the cab/bed point is valid in that there isn't the typical gap to divert water.
I agree. I’ve owned 2 previous Truxedo Truxports (same as the Ford soft rollup) and never had leakage after I added extra foam weatherstripping where needed (including car wash). Granted my previous trucks were able to drain foreword at the bulkhead so I’m curious what I’ll see.

Last edited:

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Am I missing something? It is a truck bed right?

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You obviously need something...
So you assumed I need a SUV?

I paid $1100 for a hard trifold tonneau that my dealer told me is watertight and that's what I expected.

Anything you can suggest that can help resolve the tonneau cover leaking problem will be greatly appreciated.

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So you assumed I need a SUV?

I paid $1100 for a hard trifold tonneau that my dealer told me is watertight and that's what I expected.

Anything you can suggest that can help resolve the tonneau cover leaking problem will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to be a dick... It just wouldn't occur to me to expect a moisture free environment in a truck bed. This is akin to the proverbial screen door on a submarine. Y'all was smart enough to buy a Mav, I am certain you'll figure out a workaround. They sell a nearly $4k camper shell for the Mav, I assure you that at some point (if not from the day it is new) it will leak a little.

Sponsored

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It has been brought to my attention that there have been complaints of water intrusion into their Maverick’s with a tonneau cover installed. While our manufacturers and other manufacturers on the market design these covers to keep out as much water as possible, no cover will be 100% waterproof. There are multiple scenarios that can cause water intrusion, from the style of the tonneau cover to the way it’s installed. The most common leaking issue we have identified is a result of how the bed rails/caps/bulkhead on the Maverick are designed. Todd, who does our install videos (a familiar face if you watched videos on our site) owns a Maverick as well and has come across these issues as well. He has been working hard to try and find solutions to the leakage issue into the bed and I have a couple of videos here that show what he has done.

The first video explains where water leakage has occurred in Todd's Maverick and some solutions he has come up with -

This second video I am throwing in because it seems to be an occurrence as well with some gaps on the X4s Todd was able to come up with a solution that does help seal this up some more -

While we recognize these solutions will not entirely work for everyone, there is a multitude of scenarios that can cause leaking, we have found that these steps to be tremendously helpful in real-life applications.
Amazing. Thank you for this.

BobC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Impala, 23 Maverick EB AWD Lux 4K Fx4 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had an UnderCover ArmorFlex installed by a local accessory person. They do mostly BAK & Truxedo units. This was their 1st Undercover unit. One of the reasons for choosing it was the use of a Linex-type coating on top for scrap resistance. The installer said he was impressed with how it sealed on the top back of the tailgate. Yes, I do get a bit of minor water intrusion at the back bedsides only. The installer said the Maverick has more of a gap there than other trucks & he used a bulb seal weather stripping material to help combat water. Hope this helps.

PS, the middle cover clamps will have to be cut shorter if you have a lux pkg with the Ford bed rail tie-downs as they interfere with the rail slide on the full length. I'm also told Ford is working on a future parts pkg with 2 extra clamps.

Ford Maverick Tonneau cover gap / water leakage due to Maverick design Cover Sealing, Bottom side

Ford Maverick Tonneau cover gap / water leakage due to Maverick design Cover Sealing, LH side

Ford Maverick Tonneau cover gap / water leakage due to Maverick design Cover Sealing, RH side

Ford Maverick Tonneau cover gap / water leakage due to Maverick design Middle Clamp Revised, RT side

Ford Maverick Tonneau cover gap / water leakage due to Maverick design Undercover ArmorFlex Interference, v2

OP
OP
Realtruck

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
Undecided
In your opinion which cover is currently the most watertight? I know the rough country tri fold is pretty good. How is the X15 pro?
@ToddsTruckLife has the Pro X15 on his and he can probably answer that as well.
It really comes down to the way the bed is designed on these trucks vs the manufacturers, yes there have been a few hiccups that are being resolved but other than that there isn't a cover on the market guaranteed to be water tight, for example, I had a solid one-piece painted on a Silverado years ago and it occasionally had water intrusion.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 LUX 4K 360 VB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The ProX15 does great against weather, but the design of the bed makes Maverick a little more challenging. In this video, I show how to address the weak points, to minimize water intrusion, and channel the water that gets in, to locations that will let it evacuate out of the bed.

Koybot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 A51FE
Just move out west where we haven't had a drop of rain in years. Problem solved ;)
Sponsored