First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
Undecided
It has been brought to my attention that there have been complaints of water intrusion into their Maverick’s with a tonneau cover installed. While our manufacturers and other manufacturers on the market design these covers to keep out as much water as possible, no cover will be 100% waterproof. There are multiple scenarios that can cause water intrusion, from the style of the tonneau cover to the way it’s installed. The most common leaking issue we have identified is a result of how the bed rails/caps/bulkhead on the Maverick are designed. Todd, who does our install videos (a familiar face if you watched videos on our site) owns a Maverick as well and has come across these issues as well. He has been working hard to try and find solutions to the leakage issue into the bed and I have a couple of videos here that show what he has done.

The first video explains where water leakage has occurred in Todd's Maverick and some solutions he has come up with -

This second video I am throwing in because it seems to be an occurrence as well with some gaps on the X4s Todd was able to come up with a solution that does help seal this up some more -

While we recognize these solutions will not entirely work for everyone, there is a multitude of scenarios that can cause leaking, we have found that these steps to be tremendously helpful in real-life applications.
Sponsored

Swami37

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Bronco and 2020 F150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine works great. 99.9 percent of water is kept out. Had my local accessory place install it. I think poor Installation is to blame for all these leaking complaints
I have the XS4

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It has been brought to my attention that there have been complaints of water intrusion into their Maverick’s with a tonneau cover installed. While our manufacturers and other manufacturers on the market design these covers to keep out as much water as possible, no cover will be 100% waterproof. There are multiple scenarios that can cause water intrusion, from the style of the tonneau cover to the way it’s installed. The most common leaking issue we have identified is a result of how the bed rails/caps/bulkhead on the Maverick are designed. Todd, who does our install videos (a familiar face if you watched videos on our site) owns a Maverick as well and has come across these issues as well. He has been working hard to try and find solutions to the leakage issue into the bed and I have a couple of videos here that show what he has done.

The first video explains where water leakage has occurred in Todd's Maverick and some solutions he has come up with -

This second video I am throwing in because it seems to be an occurrence as well with some gaps on the X4s Todd was able to come up with a solution that does help seal this up some more -

While we recognize these solutions will not entirely work for everyone, there is a multitude of scenarios that can cause leaking, we have found that these steps to be tremendously helpful in real-life applications.
Thanks for posting these videos! I have a Revolver X4s, but I haven't installed it yet, because Ford hasn't blessed me with my Maverick yet! With these two helpful videos I'll make sure to address these area when I do the install.

Mikeoley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Traverse
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I have the trifold hard cover and what has helped mine most is increasing the drain tube size to 1/2 inch. Still leaks but not as much.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the X4S. If I wash the truck with a high-pressure wand I get a little water in each of the four corners. But not very much and not enought to be a problem. It's not sealed up like the trunk of a car but it's close enough for my purposes. And it's tighter than I expected it to be.

In regular use, if I have something that is really water-sensitive I just put it in the middle of the bed. I realize that if you were hauling a full load of document boxes (for example) that might not be a solution. But it works for me 99% of the time.

OP
OP
Realtruck

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Great video. Thank you. This video should be sent to the cover companies. For $1200.00 the cover should not leak at all 4 corners. Let them fix the problem.
We are actually in the process of working with BAK to get this issue remedied. I agree with your statement, we just wanted to come out with somewhat of a fix for this to help out customers out at the current moment

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's a great point that not only should you try to keep water out with seals, but give the water somewhere to go. My Bakflip on my Ram for example has water channels all along the sides with four little gutter spouts and four tubes that route the water to the ground, as the water wants to take the path with least resistance. I recall family member doing some silicon sealing as well after using a hose to see where anything else could come through, and has been dry since. So its a good one-two punch strategy.

Nfspd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What is the bulkhead seal used in this video?

Sponsored

Alto Blues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda Miata, 2020 Ford Escape
Very helpful videos addressing a couple of potential trouble spots. Thank you for posting.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

In your opinion which cover is currently the most watertight? I know the rough country tri fold is pretty good. How is the X15 pro?

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m surprised people are surprised there is water intrusion at the bulkhead. There is no where for water to go other than towards bed unlike a conventional truck bed where water can fall over edge. I’ve always placed items I want to stay dry on a bed mat or in containers.

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the trifold hard cover and what has helped mine most is increasing the drain tube size to 1/2 inch. Still leaks but not as much.
I havent had any leaks on my trifold since I corrected the dealer install. Only time I get any leakage is when I fold it up when there is water on it. Making sure the cover rails and centering top makes all the difference. I also like the idea of larger drain tube size.

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the gator Soft trifold and don't Have a problem with any leakage but I also added extra weather stripping at the front And tailgate seal And take a guess on where I bought it Haha
Sponsored