Sponsored

To those who have gotten the tailgate cables replaced under warranty...

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So my drivers side cable jacket was already torn somewhat upon delivery and the tailgate drooped a little, no big deal. Thought the tailgate assist would help but the slack now between passenger/drivers side cable is now worse- Would I need to remove the tailgate strut to get the cables examined for warranty ?

Thx-
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So my drivers side cable jacket was already torn somewhat upon delivery and the tailgate drooped a little, no big deal. Thought the tailgate assist would help but the slack now between passenger/drivers side cable is now worse- Would I need to remove the tailgate strut to get the cables examined for warranty ?

Thx-
Unless I've missed a thread or two somewhere, Ford has still not acknowledged anywhere that all of the Mavericks have the wrong length of tailgate cable. Ford simply needs to provide a shorter cable and all the Mavericks would have beds that are coplanar to the tailgate as expected. I bet we'll never see it addressed by Ford but maybe an aftermarket cable will be sold by some company for a decent price. I'm curious if the 2023 models will be the same or not.

TK421

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 HD Sporty, 2012 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan on asking about this when I bring mine in for its first oil change next week.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger

Thx-
I would take the strut off. In general dealers love to do warranty repairs but this cable length seems to be controversial issue. A lot of finger pointing. No need to give the dealer a reason to blame you.

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would take the strut off. In general dealers love to do warranty repairs but this cable length seems to be controversial issue. A lot of finger pointing. No need to give the dealer a reason to blame you.
Why exactly would someone remove a Ford Accessory when taking the truck for service?

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Why exactly would someone remove a Ford Accessory when taking the truck for service?

Nw_adventure did not indicate if it was a Ford Accessory or aftermarket. I should have asked before responding. If it is a Ford Accessory for a Maverick he would not have to remove it.

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did someone else come out with a tailgate strut?
I thought it was only the one sold through Ford (ZeeDee?)

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DeeZee is the manufacturer, whether purchased through Ford or directly now through DeeZee

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did someone else come out with a tailgate strut?
I thought it was only the one sold through Ford (ZeeDee?)
Deeze.has a Ford PN -

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
has anyone actually gotten 1 of those cables replaced under warranty? FYI, for people who are new to truck ownership, these cables will continue to stretch over time. It's never been an issue for me after owning 4 Rangers, current F-150 + more, as the tailgate is in up position the vast majority of the time and never had a cable failure under load.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As above, It is NOT the cable, it's the mounting points. My driver's side cable was slightly loose when my tailgate is down, I swapped cables in 30 seconds, driver's side is still loose.

Ford would either need to provide a revised cable and PN, or modify the mounting points

Not a big deal for me....

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just went on Amazon Prime. there are a few different aftermarket tailgate struts.

OP
OP
Nw_adventure

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As above, It is NOT the cable, it's the mounting points. My driver's side cable was slightly loose when my tailgate is down, I swapped cables in 30 seconds, driver's side is still loose.

Ford would either need to provide a revised cable and PN, or modify the mounting points

Not a big deal for me....

Interesting - I think a couple of folks have had luck correcting the droop with a new cable and or set - Not sure though
Sponsored