First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm really going back and forth on this option. I pretty much have everything else, but the Maverick that was on the lot had a moonroof and it got me thinking. What are some pros and cons??? Thanks
Sponsored

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Jeep Liberty has one, and the headliner is noticeably lower because of it- at least two inches. If that's going to be an issue (like it's sorta become with me), then don't get one. My Maverick isn't going to have one.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you value what a moonroof gives you, then it’s a plus for you. To me personally, they’re nice but an added possible point of failure for water leakage and operation.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok so I've had some coffee now I can be less snarky.

Pro
-Ventilation, especially with the rear window open. Good air flow with
- feels more open even if it's closed due to the glass

Con
- costs more
- something to stop working
- point of possible leaking
- squeaks or rattles are common issues
- on the Maverick you lose sunglass holder
- on hot days if you don't close the shade your car can get super hot

I ordered one. I like the idea of the openness. Roll down four windows open the back hatch open the sunroof. It's as close as one of these type of vehicles can get to a convertible like a bronco. It's not there, but it's closer.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was going to get one but my 12-year-old is already 6ft. So, I was concerned about reducing the headroom.

Sponsored

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Like I opted not to get one because it wasn't worth the extra money for me on my order, but I always kind of like them? Like you lose a little head room, and there's always potential for leaks if the seal is in bad shape down the line, but it's a nice thing to have.

If the choice is no Maverick or a Maverick with a moon roof, get the moon roof. :p

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I freaking love my moonroof and you can pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Love the extra ventilation, the ability to securely leave it popped up to keep the summer heat down - this works particularly well with the rear slider. To me it also makes the interior feel larger and there is plenty of headroom but I'm 5'10".

Our old explorer had a leaky moonroof that let water into the headliner. That was a mess, but it was easy to pull down the headliner and fix the loose drain hose. The gasket is unobltainium but the drains work well and no water gets inside. 18 years old and still works fine.

OP
OP

Swimstaffswim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok so I've had some coffee now I can be less snarky.

Pro
-Ventilation, especially with the rear window open. Good air flow with
- feels more open even if it's closed due to the glass

Con
- costs more
- something to stop working
- point of possible leaking
- squeaks or rattles are common issues
- on the Maverick you lose sunglass holder
- on hot days if you don't close the shade your car can get super hot

I ordered one. I like the idea of the openness. Roll down four windows open the back hatch open the sunroof. It's as close as one of these type of vehicles can get to a convertible like a bronco. It's not there, but it's closer.

Thanks for the insight. Coffee sure is magical

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless you plan to cool the truck without opening the windows or need to air out the truck quickly because you smoke in vehicle especially in the winter it is not worth it. I had one on my previous truck and almost never used it.

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I seldom use them, so skipped it on the Maverick order.

Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Headroom isn’t a problem. I am 6’5” and I have plenty of headroom with my sunroof. Maybe if your rocking 70s or 80s hair styles or a giant cowboy hat it’s an issue but regular ball cap or not on, not a problem.

It’s worth it to me. Great ventilation, improves interior light and it’s a nice cruiser with it open along with the rear window. It just adds to the openness of the interior also. To me, if your going to go against the grain, might as well have fun doing it hence why my truck is optioned the way it is, with the sunroof being the icing on the cake.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not with the 23 rate increase. Honestly, it’s something you use for the first year of ownership and then forget about. Not a very high value item in my experience.

Sembazuru

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was considering a moon roof. I used to have a Subaru Legacy that came with a moon/sun roof. It was great when I smoked. Almost as good as the vent windows on my '73 Super, but no one puts vent windows on cars anymore. Well, I don't smoke anymore.

For ventilation I use a trick that my dad taught me back when I first started driving. Open both windows only on one side of the vehicle. This creates a vortex inside the car as air is pulled out of the front window because of the Bernoulli principle (faster moving air outside the window creates a low pressure gradient from inside to outside), and then sucked into the back window to replace what was removed from the front. Even if you have AC in your car, this is a great way to scoop out the broiling hot air in the cabin when first driving on a hot summer day. As the driver, if I only have both passenger side windows open I get a draft from behind my head. And if I only have both driver side windows open I get a draft across me from the passenger side. This is proper "2-40" AC.

Now, I know this works in sedans and hatchbacks where there is a lot of cabin volume behind the rear windows. Not sure how well it works on crew cab geometry with the back window so close to the rear windows. Maybe someone who has their Mav can experiment and get back to this thread.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm really going back and forth on this option. I pretty much have everything else, but the Maverick that was on the lot had a moonroof and it got me thinking. What are some pros and cons??? Thanks
Always moonroof. Unfortunately Ford stole that option from me.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have had vehicles with them and never used them. One thing you should think about is future use of the roof. I may put an antenna on mine, so a moon roof would be in the way. Also, if you want to put some kind of rack on the roof in the future, it may cause a problem. Otherwise, if you want one and are willing to pay for it, get it.
Sponsored