First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Local dealer had a Satnta Cruz SEL AWD with non turbo motor. I couldnt resist looking and driving.
Over all am very impressed with the unit, build fit and finish very good. Drove out nicely except the motor is a slug. Cant imagine having to pull anything close to the 3500 lb. rating. press the gas and it just like a Harely, gets loud but dont really go anywhere in a hurry.
Really like the styling and has more standard safety features and a kick ass warranty compared to the Maverick.
But they are in short supply also and i was told i couldnt order a unit and guarantee I would get it or when.
Just gotta gather my patients I guess.
Ouch man....why u throw Harleys under the bus?
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
5 years bumper to bumper is generous compared to our 3 :(.
For the big difference in price you could buy an extended warranty on the Maverick up to 8 years, 150,000 miles and still come out paying less.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the big difference in price you could buy an extended warranty on the Maverick up to 8 years, 150,000 miles and still come out paying less.
Yep--and I've been contemplating doing exactly that.

lurch70

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW 330xi, 2019 Volvo XC60
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This new design language of Hyundai while trendy now, I don't think will age well.
That weird grille and headlight also doesn't look very offroad worthy and look like will take any sort of rough roads well.

It's a nice truck overall for the beach for example but overall its too pricey for what it is.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There isn't necessarily a big difference in price though, it just depends on how you spec it.

For example, the Maverick turbo at first glance appears WAY cheaper than a Santa Cruz SEL Premium turbo, but if you actually add options to make the trims as identical as you can, the price difference starts to disappear.

After freight the SC SEL Premium is $36,905, basically $37K. While no exact match is possible, the closest build I made a little while back came out to $35,990, basically $36K. For an apples to apples comparison, you need an extended warranty of equal length without a deductible, and there's no way you can get that for $1K. Premiumcare for 7 years is likely to be around $3-4K w/ $0 deductible plan.

Now one huge advantage of Premiumcare is that for a small fee you can transfer the warranty and it is fully honored for the next owner, so it helps resale value. Hyundai's super long 10yr/100K mile warranty is only good for the first owner and not transferable, hence Hyundai's lower resale value.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There isn't necessarily a big difference in price though, it just depends on how you spec it.

For example, the Maverick turbo at first glance appears WAY cheaper than a Santa Cruz SEL Premium turbo, but if you actually add options to make the trims as identical as you can, the price difference starts to disappear.

After freight the SC SEL Premium is $36,905, basically $37K. While no exact match is possible, the closest build I made a little while back came out to $35,990, basically $36K. For an apples to apples comparison, you need an extended warranty of equal length without a deductible, and there's no way you can get that for $1K. Premiumcare for 7 years is likely to be around $3-4K w/ $0 deductible plan.

Now one huge advantage of Premiumcare is that for a small fee you can transfer the warranty and it is fully honored for the next owner, so it helps resale value. Hyundai's super long 10yr/100K mile warranty is only good for the first owner and not transferable, hence Hyundai's lower resale value.
If you are able to assume a little risk, you can get a plan with a deductible that is significantly cheaper. You can get an 8 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper at Flood Ford for about $1290 with $100 deductible. I say “about” because that is the price for my state.

Drewesque

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro, soon to be Maverick Lariat Hybrid
I also drove the SC. I kind of liked the look in the sage gray, but despised the engine and didn't feel like the interior was all that great (not bad, just...meh).
Considering I can get a Lariat Lux at invoice and every Hyundai dealer is sticking with MSRP+, it's a no-brainer between those two for me.
About the only thing that tempts me to cancel the Mav is a plug-in Escape or Tucson (if Hyundai ever stops delaying). I'm gonna miss my miles on electric.

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i have a lot of self pride and will never own a hyundai. but it's good to know the design team for the pontiac aztec finally found employment....

Drewesque

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro, soon to be Maverick Lariat Hybrid
i have a lot of self pride and will never own a hyundai. but it's good to know the design team for the pontiac aztec finally found employment....
I feel little shame or pride, so I will drive whatever is the right vehicle at the right price. But that is not the Santa Cruz.
I had a 1981 Chevy Citation for several years (I think I got out of that in 2004), so the Santa Cruz must be bad.

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel little shame or pride, so I will drive whatever is the right vehicle at the right price. But that is not the Santa Cruz.
I had a 1981 Chevy Citation for several years (I think I got out of that in 2004), so the Santa Cruz must be bad.
i had a citation too, but that was 40 years ago.

Sponsored

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Local dealer had a Satnta Cruz SEL AWD with non turbo motor. I couldnt resist looking and driving.
Over all am very impressed with the unit, build fit and finish very good. Drove out nicely except the motor is a slug. Cant imagine having to pull anything close to the 3500 lb. rating. press the gas and it just like a Harely, gets loud but dont really go anywhere in a hurry.
Really like the styling and has more standard safety features and a kick ass warranty compared to the Maverick.
But they are in short supply also and i was told i couldnt order a unit and guarantee I would get it or when.
Just gotta gather my patients I guess.
I walked in looked at the Santa Cruz, liked it… saw the price was $7,000. Over sticker… thanked the manager for making my decision for me. Happy I ordered the Maverick!

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
About the only thing that tempts me to cancel the Mav is a plug-in Escape or Tucson (if Hyundai ever stops delaying). I'm gonna miss my miles on electric.
The PHEV Escapes are finally on their way to dealerships. I was a bit tempted by a local one but the lease values were pretty stinky unless I want to gamble on a proper refundable EV tax credit getting passed.

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
You know, I just can’t get over the style of it. I don’t hate it, but I don’t know if I’ll hate it 2 years from now.

The Maverick just feels more “me”, so even if I got a crazy deal on a tricked out SC, I’d still get the Maverick. I’m sure SC owners will love theirs, though.

Frobozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost AWD
Am I the only one but do others find the cruz fugly?
Nope, but in some ways that's the attraction. It doesn't look like other vehicles. I actually like its styling and am always happy to see a vehicle that doesn't get washed out by the Marketing Department Blanderizer. It's funky. The Maverick, OTOH, wants to look like a truck (and largely does) and I feel a lot better about its potential resale value -- today's funky style is tomorrow's leisure suit. (OTOH, I've owned an Isuzu Amigo, a Chrysler PT Cruiser, a Volvo C30 and a Mini 4-door, so apparently I'm drawn by weird cars.)
Sponsored