tired of the wait- test drove a Santa Cruz

nelsont

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Local dealer had a Satnta Cruz SEL AWD with non turbo motor. I couldnt resist looking and driving.
Over all am very impressed with the unit, build fit and finish very good. Drove out nicely except the motor is a slug. Cant imagine having to pull anything close to the 3500 lb. rating. press the gas and it just like a Harely, gets loud but dont really go anywhere in a hurry.
Really like the styling and has more standard safety features and a kick ass warranty compared to the Maverick.
But they are in short supply also and i was told i couldnt order a unit and guarantee I would get it or when.
Just gotta gather my patients I guess.
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, the Maverick Hybrid should be a little bit quicker, and WAY more fuel efficient than the base engine SC.

That said, the way they have the trims setup, you're going to be spending $37K to get a turbo. A Mav FWD turbo on the other hand may not have a huge tow rating, but can be hard for pennies on the dollar. SC really should have made their base engine the 226hp hybrid, it would have competed well with the Maverick even if slightly more upmarket/expensive.
Just gotta gather my patients I guess.
They say practice makes perfect, and you can't have a practice without patients, doc! Wait, what? 🙃

But kidding aside, I'm hearing so many quality issues of late, its probably not a bad idea to not be one of the very first vehicles rolling off the line.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really like the styling and has more standard safety features and a kick ass warranty compared to the Maverick.
Worth noting Hyundai has a longer powertrain warranty, but they don't actually have any bumper to bumper warranty.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Worth noting Hyundai has a longer powertrain warranty, but they don't actually have any bumper to bumper warranty.
Yeah they do. The only unusual thing is that they won't ever provide you a loaner, you have to get your own loaner and they pay for it.
  • Bumper to Bumper warranty: 60 months/60,000miles
  • Corrosion perforation warranty: 84 months/ unlimited distance
  • Maintenance warranty: 36 months/36,000miles
  • Powertrain warranty: 120 months/100,000miles
  • Roadside assistance coverage: 60 months/ unlimited distance
Ford Maverick tired of the wait- test drove a Santa Cruz Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
Reported;)

Seriously, the base engine needs more power for that size, IMO.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seriously, the base engine needs more power for that size, IMO.
Or better fuel economy. As it is, the fuel economy is virtually the same as the turbo with near 100hp extra power.

If the base Santa Cruz SE got the same fuel economy as the Tucson with that engine, 26 city/33highway/29 combined I'd still be happy with that. You'd trade some of the Maverick Hybrid's efficiency for that fancy self-leveling independent rear suspension on the Santa Cruz, but alas, it falls short.

Top is the 191hp naturally aspirated, bottom is the 277hp turbo:
Ford Maverick tired of the wait- test drove a Santa Cruz Capture.JPG

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Or better fuel economy. As it is, the fuel economy is virtually the same as the turbo with near 100hp extra power.

If the base Santa Cruz SE got the same fuel economy as the Tucson with that engine, 26 city/33highway/29 combined I'd still be happy with that. You'd trade some of the Maverick Hybrid's efficiency for that fancy self-leveling independent rear suspension on the Santa Cruz, but alas, it falls short.

Top is the 191hp naturally aspirated, bottom is the 277hp turbo:
Capture.JPG
Agreed - the numbers for either Santa Cruz aren't great, but the fact that the low HP engine is that bad will probably result in terrible sales. I don't see how that models sells when the Maverick Ecoboost is available - when the dust settles on inventory and buyers can cross-shop, outside of looking like an SUV inside and having more standard safety features (which I conceded will be the deciding factor for some, but probably not most buyers), what does the Santa Cruz with that base engine have going for it against the Maverick in particular?

I'm trying to price out comparable models. Entry level SE with AWD and a hitch looks to be about $26,800? Most comparable in terms of capability for a Maverick would probably be XLT with AWD and Tow - $27,800 - $1K more. You can also build an XL with AWD/Tow for $25,500. In either case you're getting a vehicle with a Much more fun drivetrain, that also gets better mpg.

I guess I just don't see the appeal for buyers that will be able to cross-shop these. And I don't dislike the Santa Cruz either, it just doesn't seem to be the better option by most measures.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Agreed - the numbers for either Santa Cruz aren't great, but the fact that the low HP engine is that bad will probably result in terrible sales. I don't see how that models sells when the Maverick Ecoboost is available - when the dust settles on inventory and buyers can cross-shop, outside of looking like an SUV inside and having more standard safety features (which I conceded will be the deciding factor for some, but probably not most buyers), what does the Santa Cruz with that base engine have going for it against the Maverick in particular?

I'm trying to price out comparable models. Entry level SE with AWD and a hitch looks to be about $26,800? Most comparable in terms of capability for a Maverick would probably be XLT with AWD and Tow - $27,800 - $1K more. You can also build an XL with AWD/Tow for $25,500. In either case you're getting a vehicle with a Much more fun drivetrain, that also gets better mpg.

I guess I just don't see the appeal for buyers that will be able to cross-shop these. And I don't dislike the Santa Cruz either, it just doesn't seem to be the better option by most measures.
Ps. You add on the dealers addendum of $3000-$20,000 plus....it’s a no brainer

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Demand is so high compared to supply, that Ford and Hyundai will sell everyone they can make at a good profit for quite a while. I think its going to be a long time before we start seeing vehicles languish on dealer lots again. So jealous of my neighbor, he bought a truck I think just over a year ago at around $9K off MSRP, and when I commented I never see his truck now he told me he decided to sell it when he saw he could make thousands in profit more than he bought it for not that long ago... someone paid him to drive around a new truck for a year, the heck!!!

Despite markups on the Santa Cruz, article here says its still the nations fastest seller:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/42368...nes-corvette-as-fastest-selling-new-car-in-us

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Demand is so high compared to supply, that Ford and Hyundai will sell everyone they can make at a good profit for quite a while. I think its going to be a long time before we start seeing vehicles languish on dealer lots again. So jealous of my neighbor, he bought a truck I think just over a year ago at around $9K off MSRP, and when I commented I never see his truck now he told me he decided to sell it when he saw he could make thousands in profit more than he bought it for not that long ago... someone paid him to drive around a new truck for a year, the heck!!!

Despite markups on the Santa Cruz, article here says its still the nations fastest seller:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/42368...nes-corvette-as-fastest-selling-new-car-in-us
December 2019 I bought my brand new Ranger at 23% off the sticker price. I have basically had a free rental for the last 19 months!

I do agree it is going to be years before the supply issues we are seeing settle. TBH though I wouldn't even be looking if I weren't able to secure the Maverick at a below invoice price. I haven't heard that there are any Hyundai dealers doing anything better than MSRP?

The way I see it, is that the Maverick is priced for the future where Ford wants to sell more build-to-order (assuming they can eventually get it right - they are doing ok from my perspective...but maybe not from those who have a Hybrid order - either way, they are trying which I think is a good thing). That means priced right, with little or no incentives but at a price that will compete against other manufacturers MSRP after discounts. Thing is, there aren't any discounts out there now - so the price of the Maverick (Hybrid in particular, even though I have a decked-out XLT on order) looks crazy good - there isn't any other hybrid that wins on value against the Maverick.

I can't help but look at the pricing for the Santa Cruz and see it as overpriced for a market that requires incentives. What I mean is, historically most auto manufacturers have to offer deals one way or another to move their product. Some more than others, and it depends on the model as well. I just see Hyundai's pricing (not just SC, but overall) is set at a level where buyers will expect some sort of factory discount/deal...again in the future. Those paying over MSRP are just choosing to spend more money to get something now, which isn't how most buyers operate.

egress555

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Drove the SEL premium 2.5 turbo. Had a lot of kick, plenty powerful. Didn't like the black gloss plastic in interior. Definitely looked more like a SUV. Overall nice but also several thousand more for that model vs Lariat w/ lux package.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't help but look at the pricing for the Santa Cruz and see it as overpriced for a market that requires incentives. What I mean is, historically most auto manufacturers have to offer deals one way or another to move their product.
Yeah, especially in pickups. My current Ram 1500 I think looking at the paperwork since it was loaded up was just over $40K, but got it negotiated down to $30K out the door after all fees, of course this was 2009 right during the oil crisis so nobody wanted to buy gas guzzling pickup trucks, lol! It used to be pretty common to expect to get $8K off MSRP or so with minimal haggling.

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Am I the only one but do others find the cruz fugly?
in my eyes, there is nothing style wise that I like about the SC. Nothing, we’ll maybe the tires, but that’s it. To each their own though, and maybe the look of the SC will grow on me, but,,,,.
Sponsored

Last edited: