First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick. 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Question regarding the driving modes, do they stay in the last mode used or do they default to one each time you turn the car on? I have a Rav4 that is much quicker in Sport mode, but every time you turn the car off, it defaults back to ECO
They default back to normal mode. So you have to switch it to ECO everytime. Maybe they will make some device to get around that as well that all of these people with more money than brains can waste more money on.
Sponsored

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those who drive in city traffic I a can maybe see a small fuel saving but for me I am not waiting at traffic lights much so this feature is just a nuisance that I would like to be able to have the option to engage or not to better suit my needs and driving style.
You do have that option, there is a button that you can turn the feature on or off. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would waste $100 on something
Why do you care what others do with their money? I care about mine, but if you choose, you can flush yours down the toilet,,, or burn it. It's your business, not mine. I might find it foolish, but I couldn't care less.
I could not care any less what you or anybody else does with their money. If you choose to piss it away, that is on you, not me. I just don't understand why anyone would. Now go away

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
when I started driving and working on vehicles in the early 1970's, conventional wisdom was starting your vehicle excessively & unnecessarily leads to premature wear and failure of your starter. Never seen that debunked and logic says it probably is true. There have also been many published test reports over the decades showing you use MORE gas with multiple re-starts (like in a slow fast food drive thru) instead of simply letting it idle with all systems at maximum efficiency controlled by CPUs while you wait. I was also certified as a Smog technician in California and there are multiple "downstream" pollution control devices that reset each time you start your vehicle to optimize your pollution control system performance. It's why they test your vehicle fully warmed up.

In addition to all that, when your engine is off you can lose your power steering, power assisted brakes and all systems requiring engine operating to function. Ever tried to step on brakes or turn steering wheel with engine off? Run out of gas while driving and find it hard to pull over with heavy steering and brakes? Try it sitting somewhere on level ground and wheels blocked so you won't roll. This is definitely unsafe! Lastly, there are plenty of horrible drivers out there that create unsafe conditions like jumping back and forth between lanes in stop and go, pulling out in front of you without warning, running red lights, tailgating and/or misjudge stopping distance approaching behind you (I've been hit from behind 3 times while stopped) and I want the confidence I can punch it and get out of the way if I sense trouble coming my way. Now I realize the start/stop feature is nearly seamless on re-starting but I still want that extra split-second of time to react and possibly avoid a bad situation.

I also haven't seen any data proving the on/off feature saves gas and increases MPG. That seems to be a common theme in support of the feature- but is that proven or just a sales gimmick?
I’m right there with you. My knowledge and reason tells me exactly the same things. But after seeing responses here about this sytem I have to question myself. Am I wrong about it? I certainly have to accept that possibility. I am not as knowledgeable about vehicles as I once was. The technology has moved beyond what I knew and what I want to know. We have to ask, are systems like these based upon science and data? Or are they just a corporate engineer’s solution to a government reg that also has the least impact on the company’s bottom line? A lot of what I see doesn’t appear logical. I.E. Why isn’t there more research being done on Hydrogen fuel cell technology? A Universe full of free Hydrogen would surely benefit the planet more in the long run than continuing to dig up what’s left of the Earth’s resources. In the end we have to try and distinguish between what is BS because of economics, and what is presented to us because it’s the best our technology can come up with at present. If you believe the former, be grateful for products like the one being discussed here, which will allow us to alter our vehicles to our own preference. Unfortunately I think the powers that be are going to make this harder and harder as time goes on.

Last edited:

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Need a Kleenex?
As a matter of fact I do. I have been laughing so hard at the stupidity of people wasting money on something because they are unable to remember to press a button. Normally I would just wipe away the tear with the back of my hand but you probably have a few boxes handy just in case you get triggered by something,

Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Good luck with that! First thing I found out about my Transit Connect was that there was no access in the electrical system to connect to.

Ford Maverick Tired of the Auto Stop Start? Install Autostop Eliminator FC0C9EBD-CD84-4BBA-AFBA-73F8197D4FFD

Killjoyken

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I could not care any less what you or anybody else does with their money. If you choose to piss it away, that is on you, not me. I just don't understand why anyone would. Now go away
If you don't care then why are you even commenting? And telling someone to "go away"? Kinda sounds like you might be the one who's triggered. :unsure:

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you don't care then why are you even commenting? And telling someone to "go away"? Kinda sounds like you might be the one who's triggered. :unsure:
You seem to be confusing amusement with caring. As far as telling someone to go away, it is something one normally says to a pest. It has nothing to do with being triggered. So now you can go away too! Just like the other snowflake

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If y'all wanna disable a proven fuel saving feature, have at it. Just don't use useless pie in the sky arguments from the flat earth society like "doesn't save fuel", "it'll blow up my engine ", "I'll lose my brakes", etc. Be a man, say "I DONT LIKE IT", and move on. While you're at it, throw some holley 4 barrels and points ignition on the engine to complete the trifecta.

Killjoyken

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You seem to be confusing amusement with caring. As far as telling someone to go away, it is something one normally says to a pest. It has nothing to do with being triggered. So now you can go away too! Just like the other snowflake
I think I'm just confusing you with an adult. :p

Sponsored

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
If y'all wanna disable a proven fuel saving feature, have at it. Just don't use useless pie in the sky arguments from the flat earth society like "doesn't save fuel", "it'll blow up my engine ", "I'll lose my brakes", etc. Be a man, say "I DONT LIKE IT", and move on. While you're at it, throw some holley 4 barrels and points ignition on the engine to complete the trifecta.
Best comment yet! 😂(y)

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I'm just confusing you with an adult. :p
I am sure you aren't used to conversing with an actual thinking adult which explains a lot. Don't worry the holidays are coming and you can spout off to your hearts content from your recliner on Thursday or perhaps from your bar stool later tonight!

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I guess it's lucky all you auto stop/start haters ordered eco. You would never adjust to regen braking.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.