First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Ecoboost AWD-Oxford White
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any idea whether these will work with a tonneau cover?
My guess is probably not due to the mounting system, which basically wraps around the top, side and bottom of the bed rail. You'd probably need one that mounts into a T-rail system on top of the bed, so you could still put the cover under it, or next to the T-rail.

Here's a picture (not of me, but from a company doing the install) that shows how the clamps attach.

Ford Maverick Thule XSporter Mid Pro Bed Rack is a great fit on 2022 Maverick! image (26)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nwduffer

Nwduffer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Were these specific for the Maverick or for another truck? Thule.com doesn't show a set for the Maverick yet.
Nope, these were just a used set that ReRack had. In fact, the guy had never heard of the Maverick and didn't think they'd work, based on what he saw online, but I was pretty sure they'd go on just like my old Harbor Freight racks fit on my Dakota, and they do work pretty much the same. The only thing at all you have to watch out for is where the plastic cap snaps into the metal. Just mount your clamps in the gaps between. Super easy, no problem.

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Yakima Overhaul with 60" HD Bars barely fit but it was the rack I had on my Tacoma. Height Adjustable. Had to buy 1/8" rubber sheet from McMaster-Carr to level the bed rail. Need to cut 2-1/4" strips from a 12" x 24" sheet ( Ultra-Strength Multipurpose Neoprene Rubber, Sheet, with Certificate, 12" x 24", 1/8" Thick Durometer 70A).
Ford Maverick Thule XSporter Mid Pro Bed Rack is a great fit on 2022 Maverick! Yakima Rack 1.1
Ford Maverick Thule XSporter Mid Pro Bed Rack is a great fit on 2022 Maverick! Yakima Rack 2.1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nwduffer

Nwduffer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Yakima Overhauling with HD Bars barely fit but it was the rack I had on my Tacoma.
Yakima Rack 1.1.jpg
Yakima Rack 2.1.jpg
I do like that rack--looks good on your rig, too.

Sponsored

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Both racks look good, but I’m not sure either would meet my needs.
I don’t think anyone makes anything that does yet though…
Is it too lofty to expect a rack that will seamlessly install with a tri-fold tonneau cover (staying essentially water tight), while providing enough height so I can use it in concert with a roof rack for long items (timber/ladders)?
I don’t need some big contractor rack deal, but I could use a rack system with 3 load beams for moderate to light weight occasional usage.
One roof rack with a matching height box rack would do this, if it integrated with a tri-fold, for me, it would be perfect.

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We are developing an overlanding rack for the truck. Having some pieces laser cut for it now.

The rack will have multiple options that can be added later. The rack itself will allow a few inches of room over the cab so something long can be put up there, like Kayaks. Also will have optional MOLLE panels on the sides and one for the back, enclosing it like a topper.

I don't see anyway for something like this to go on the truck and retain a bed cover of any type. It was something I wanted to do too but don't see it being possible.

OP
OP
Nwduffer

Nwduffer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Both racks look good, but I’m not sure either would meet my needs.
I don’t think anyone makes anything that does yet though…
Is it too lofty to expect a rack that will seamlessly install with a tri-fold tonneau cover (staying essentially water tight), while providing enough height so I can use it in concert with a roof rack for long items (timber/ladders)?
I don’t need some big contractor rack deal, but I could use a rack system with 3 load beams for moderate to light weight occasional usage.
One roof rack with a matching height box rack would do this, if it integrated with a tri-fold, for me, it would be perfect.
I think it's doable, but I think it isn't cheap :)

You could get a Retrax Pro locking aluminum cover with T-rails and then get a compatible rack system. I think even that Yakima posted above has the option to mount via t-rails. Heck, looking at it now, makes me think I could convert mine to do the same! Here is that combo mounted on a different Ford truck.

Ford Maverick Thule XSporter Mid Pro Bed Rack is a great fit on 2022 Maverick! image (27)

And here's the link to the cover system: https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2022/ford/maverick

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
I don’t mind the expense and I like the look,
But the roll style take so much box room, this one is 10”…
I guess a tri-fold has problems with the canted rack though.

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We are developing an overlanding rack for the truck. Having some pieces laser cut for it now.

The rack will have multiple options that can be added later. The rack itself will allow a few inches of room over the cab so something long can be put up there, like Kayaks. Also will have optional MOLLE panels on the sides and one for the back, enclosing it like a topper.

I don't see anyway for something like this to go on the truck and retain a bed cover of any type. It was something I wanted to do too but don't see it being possible.
A tall topper tops a bed cover, pardon the pun.
And what about an suv type rear canopy to make a bed tent/annex for one (or a thin couple) on the 6' open bed?

Sponsored

KGillies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid, Rav4 Prime
I don’t mind the expense and I like the look,
But the roll style take so much box room, this one is 10”…
I guess a tri-fold has problems with the canted rack though.
for trifold, the rack has to be vertical.
I went with a bombproof Lomax hard Diamond Plate trifold cover that will arrive Monday. My hybrid 2 weeks later, fingers crossed. Agricover, who builds Lomax, will have a simple and relatively inexpensive fixed height, bolt-on, sliding-on-rails aluminum Adarac once they figure out the right T nut to make to slip into that very narrow slot Ford left. Guaranteed to work with the Lomax. I've asked them to build it short, about 18", so stuff clears the roof as minimally as possible.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
for trifold, the rack has to be vertical.
I went with a bombproof Lomax hard Diamond Plate trifold cover that will arrive Monday. My hybrid 2 weeks later, fingers crossed. Agricover, who builds Lomax, will have a simple and relatively inexpensive fixed height, bolt-on, sliding-on-rails aluminum Adarac once they figure out the right T nut to make to slip into that very narrow slot Ford left. Guaranteed to work with the Lomax. I've asked them to build it short, about 18", so stuff clears the roof as minimally as possible.
Sounds very intriguing, please update us with a few pictures when it’s installed.

mcarneybsa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
I think this is very similar to the Yakima rack that Ford is selling as part of their accessories, but that rack stands about 13" tall, where the Thule stands 16" tall. This hits right at the top of the back of the cab. To clear the top of the majority of the cab, you need a good 17-17.5", not counting the exact spot of the antenna. For me this works great because my J-racks for kayaks add another 1.5 inches in height, and the curve of the kayaks themselves gives and additional bit of clearance to get over that cab.

Also, I love how these look like they were made for this truck--black and white match the color scheme perfectly. (Ha, just noticing my gas cap is open....must be something automatic that I haven't learned in the 48 hours of ownership.)
IMG_9654.jpg

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

Looks great! If I were only using them for my kayaks/SUPs this is the exact route I would have gone, but I do need that extra 2" of clearance for lumber. I am anxiously awaiting my adjustable height AA Racks to arrive (hell, even ship - the order has been in with amazon for a week now!). Hopefully they are high enough quality for the job.

What's the longest boat you plan on putting up there? I was originally wanting to get something over the cab to handle my 14' racing SUP a little more securely, but we'll see how it goes with just the bed rack first!

OP
OP
Nwduffer

Nwduffer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great! If I were only using them for my kayaks/SUPs this is the exact route I would have gone, but I do need that extra 2" of clearance for lumber. I am anxiously awaiting my adjustable height AA Racks to arrive (hell, even ship - the order has been in with amazon for a week now!). Hopefully they are high enough quality for the job.

What's the longest boat you plan on putting up there? I was originally wanting to get something over the cab to handle my 14' racing SUP a little more securely, but we'll see how it goes with just the bed rack first!
Longest kayak I have is 12" right now, and when I load them all up and haul my boat, my set up is usually 3 up on top--two 10ft on Jracks, and the 12 foot in between--and one sitting in my boat. Only do that whole setup about once a year though.

Btw, yesterday I did a quick test with some aluminum square tubing that I use for attaching a different trolling motor to the back of my older kayak, which mounts into t-rails on either side, and used those same bolts down into the rails of the top of my Thule racks, and they actually acted as a 1" riser on top of my bars. I put an 8ft board on top of those risers and cleared the top of the cab, off to the side. Gonna play with a slightly larger tube, and I think I could totally use this for over the cab lumber hauling, when needed as well. Will update with photos when I do.

poster112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
Good options. I usually just use the J-racks for some inexpensive Lifetime fishing kayaks that I take for buddies who don't have any, and I toss my Bonafide in the back of the truck. (Sometimes I go nuts and squeeze a tandem kayak inbetween the two lifetimes and get all four with me.)
Which Bonafide are you fitting in the back? I didn't anticipate my RS fitting in the back of mine very well and its on the smaller side of their lineup. I also have a Lure 10.5 and would be pumped if I can get both in without the rack!
Sponsored