sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So 60% fossil fuel. I didn’t realize there was still so much nuclear energy produced in the US. Most of the nuclear plants around here were shut down decades ago and the last functioning nuclear plant is supposed to be shut down soon, although (leave it to California) they are taking too long replacing the generators with clean alternatives. Source
See why I am worried about full electric in California by 2035? California moves at a snails pace.
Coal power plants are at least twice as bad as natural gas power plants depending on how you measure such things. CO2 is much less. Other pollutants definitely less as natural gas burns a lot cleaner.

Now it's definitely not perfect but lumping them together doesn't make sense.
Sponsored

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The biggest reason besides the historically cold weather had more to do with humans making bad decisions prior to the event. We were lucky, we never lost power (NG).
Poor decision making for sure.

Not being fully connected to the national grid was blunder number one.

Number two seems to be a failure to winterize thier systems/grid for this somewhat rare but inevitable cold snap.

Someone mentioned Texas being forced to incorporate wind power? Who forced them? That's a serious question because the reason they aren't fully connected with the grid is because they wanted to avoid federal oversight.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided

Number two seems to be a failure to winterize thier systems/grid for this somewhat rare but inevitable cold snap.

Someone mentioned Texas being forced to incorporate wind power? Who forced them? That's a serious question because the reason they aren't fully connected with the grid is because they wanted to avoid federal oversight.
Can’t say who supposedly “forced” wind power other than powerful, influential people in places to make it happen and make some serious $$$$$. I thought I had read that some previous power sources were taken off line before new replacement power sources had been made fully functional. I don’t think the Cold Weather Kits had been installed, maybe connected or tested (another human mistake) due to gambling on the unlikely occurrence of such extreme weather. I have lived here most of my life (1960’s) and seen some pretty damn cold weather spells that were no where near as deadly. Considering technology today vs technology over the previous 60 years there was no excuse for such a deadly outcome from the Big Freeze.
This country has seemingly adopted a Cold Turkey approach to many different things that negatively affect the human condition. Time for some common sense and some better logistics from people in charge…….

Last edited:

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

that seems to be the case. on one hand they chose (as is their right) to operate their own grid which was moot since they didn't qualify to be on the national for the lack of mandated safeguards.

as for who forced them $$$$
"Businesses that begin construction on wind energy systems by December 31, 2024 are eligible for either the federal Business Energy Investment Tax Credit (ITC), tied to the total value of the facility, or the federal Renewable Electricity Production Tax Credit (PTC), tied to the energy produced over a ten-year period."
Second phase appears to be battery storage projects in place and under construction, good for them as it was already being used during this summers bake off. (y)(y)

Huchipapa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Trooper; '04 9-3; '13 Outback; '24 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No one asked for it, they're doing it to help level the playing field. Oil and Gas subsidies, that no one asked for either, absolutely dwarf EV tax credits. (which is just a refund for an individual's own federal tax liability, you and every other tax payer isn't directly contributing to anything, this will be changing to a rebate at time of purchase in 2024)

We spend a whole lot on subsidizing the fossil fuel industry, despite the billions they see in profits each year.

That angers me 1000 times more than someone getting some of their own money back for buying an EV.
Very much this. And farm subsidies.

Sponsored

Huchipapa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Trooper; '04 9-3; '13 Outback; '24 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow good to know all those folks paying $1,150 to $2,750 to purchase and install a 240-volt charging station are just getting ripped off! Good info right here on Mav forum! 😂 🙄
If you buy the Chevy Bolt, GM installs your 240v line and charger for free through a contractor. My Uber the other night was a Bolt. While it didn’t work well for him with the restricted range, he said the car was solid. If I was commuting for another 5 years I’d be all over it. But I’m semiretired, and the Mav is going to be my travel vehicle.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So there is a recent study that shows the true cost of filling up a BEV would be $17 a gallon if compared to a ICE vehicle if it were not for government subsidies. I wonder how much it would cost per gallon for ICE vehicles without government subsidies to the oil industry? I’m sure much higher than we pay. The link below delves in to this in a fairly balanced way.

$17 for BEV

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So there is a recent study that shows the true cost of filling up a BEV would be $17 a gallon if compared to a ICE vehicle if it were not for government subsidies. I wonder how much it would cost per gallon for ICE vehicles without government subsidies to the oil industry? I’m sure much higher than we pay. The link below delves in to this in a fairly balanced way.

$17 for BEV
Doesnt change the fact subsidies for fossil fuels helps everyone mostly the poor. EV subsidies help the rich exclusively. Average income of EV buyer 150K

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doesnt change the fact subsidies for fossil fuels helps everyone mostly the poor. EV subsidies help the rich exclusively. Average income of EV buyer 150K
Well I guess I don’t know. If electrification was subsidized as much as fossil fuels perhaps the average EV buyer’s income could be much lower. Certainly the price at the gas pump would be much higher if fossil fuel subsidies were lower making BEV more attractive. It’s a complicated topic but I do agree with Toyota that for now hybrid technology makes the most sense for most people.

Sponsored
OP
OP
azadv

azadv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
subsidies for fossil fuels helps everyone mostly the poor. EV subsidies help the rich exclusively. Average income of EV buyer 150K.
This👆🏼

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Well I guess I don’t know. If electrification was subsidized as much as fossil fuels perhaps the average EV buyer’s income could be much lower. Certainly the price at the gas pump would be much higher if fossil fuel subsidies were lower making BEV more attractive. It’s a complicated topic but I do agree with Toyota that for now hybrid technology makes the most sense for most people.
Agree strongly with a hybrid future. It still has much development to be realized.
Why the blind rush, into the fog for US universal EV use?
I sense a strong feeling amongst those that think there is a window of opportunity to make significant gains in EV usage that’s unfortunately for them, less than a year from closing.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A) clickbait
B) you fell for it