First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just jumped on to give yall a little.... well you know :ROFLMAO:. Honestly this is my first and likely ony new vehicle. I work on all my own cars and rarely have the money to pay someone else to do any kind of work. I have always been a firm believer that any vehicle can be trashed in a week, kept pristine for ages, or simply kept alive for more than lives of their owners. All depending on who is driving em.

Sure bad things happen on assembly lines, I have worked on plenty and made my own mistakes. It can happen at literally any company and every company is constantly fighting the battle of QC and the randomness that causes defects. All it take is a cheating spouse and 6 pack starting at midnight for a 1st shift miss a torque check on a few thousand units. A company has to have pretty aggressive and most certainly well hated measures in place to prevent that. Its a fine line that involves hundreds of people in every company and variable can and will happen.
Oh I agree. My 94 silverado C1500 has beat the odds. Its 28 years old. I bought it new as a special order V8 with 5 speed stick. Still has the original clutch even. And your right, shit happens even on the assembly line. I tend to keep my vehicles on very stringent MTX schedules. Once broken in, they go to synthetic oil, and get multiple filter changes done between the oil changes. I keep a small log book with each one and note what services performed along with the date and mileage.

Like I stated before, the maverick is a super idea, and checked off all the boxes to fit my needs for a daily driver. Just like my silverado, i look forward to doing some customization on this new truck to my tastes, to make it my own.

if it gets me to retirement in 9 years then great. If through a good MTX and reliability record, I can push it to 14-15 years total before it's time to replace it, then even better yet. I plan on keeping my silverado. One computer runs the whole show. Bullet proof TBI 350 V8 , a 5 speed millenial anti theft device sticking out of the floor, and an actual distributor. It's a truck I can actually work on.
Sponsored

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, but you asking me to "show you a more fuel efficient truck" shows that you didn't understand the context of the conversation I was having with someone else, public forum or not. But let me help explain this to you.

If your number one priority is fuel economy, there are better picks that the Maverick. They may not be trucks, but that is not the point. The other person was speaking of the Venza. That is not a truck.

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:
Thanks, I understand the context just fine, as the entire thread is available to be read, and I did so before replying. I don't need your "help" in that regard.

Though you were replying to someone else, it was your words, not theirs, so you were quoted.

As far as the number one fuel economy choice not being a truck of equivalent capability, that could be a bicycle. We all know there are more economical choices in different form factors. But this is not a cycling forum. It's a forum about a fairly unique compact truck.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh I agree. My 94 silverado C1500 has beat the odds. Its 28 years old. I bought it new as a special order V8 with 5 speed stick. Still has the original clutch even. And your right, shit happens even on the assembly line. I tend to keep my vehicles on very stringent MTX schedules. Once broken in, they go to synthetic oil, and get multiple filter changes done between the oil changes. I keep a small log book with each one and note what services performed along with the date and mileage.

Like I stated before, the maverick is a super idea, and checked off all the boxes to fit my needs for a daily driver. Just like my silverado, i look forward to doing some customization on this new truck to my tastes, to make it my own.

if it gets me to retirement in 9 years then great. If through a good MTX and reliability record, I can push it to 14-15 years total before it's time to replace it, then even better yet. I plan on keeping my silverado. One computer runs the whole show. Bullet proof TBI 350 V8 , a 5 speed millenial anti theft device sticking out of the floor, and an actual distributor. It's a truck I can actually work on.
I've never owned such a RWD beast (just a RWD car), so I'm curious. If it was younger/had fewer miles, would you still keep it as a daily driver, or would you still replace it with something like a Maverick, even if it's more complex and not as easy to service by yourself?

I'm curious if the Maverick is worth the complexity to you, and why.

gman62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport to Maverick?
People act like Ford having quality issues is somehow specific to Ford. They don't also talk about how wheels are falling off of Toyotas, even though Toyota is supposed to be known for reliability. They still have their problems, we just don't hear about them much.

When a million plus people die (1,065,555 and counting, that's over 357 9/11 terror attacks) in a country and millions more are disabled from COVID and/or retire to avoid it, there's a huge knowledge gap. That gap will take time to be filled. In the meantime, that's what warranties are for.
Lighten up Francis.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Barracuda340

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've never owned such a RWD beast (just a RWD car), so I'm curious. If it was younger/had fewer miles, would you still keep it as a daily driver, or would you still replace it with something like a Maverick, even if it's more complex and not as easy to service by yourself?

I'm curious if the Maverick is worth the complexity to you, and why.
If it was younger and had fewer miles on it, yes, it would still be a daily driver. Now it's technically 2 years away from being an antique. I will register it as such when it hits 30 years old. This was special ordered exactly the way I wanted it. As such, i loved this truck from day 1. That's why I still have it. It's not for sale. I have had offers left on my windshield wiper plenty of times. My son has his eyes on it now, but he wont get it until he understands the value of it. Likely after I pass on, he will inherit it.

Apparently GMT400s are now selling for crazy money these days. This one is solid, straight, super clean inside, and rust free still running around with original paint. In this condition I could get an easy $18k out of it in the right circles. That's actually funny since that's what I payed for it new lol. But it bears repeating, it's not for sale. Easy to work on, super reliable, and just damn good looking too.

Is the maverick worth the complexity to me? I'd say so. It's a pretty neat vehicle that fits my needs pretty exactly at the moment, and likely for the next 15 years. As far as vehicles for me go, the right one I keep a long time. I dont need the latest and greatest and then trade em off every 2-4 years. As far as complexity goes, yes it's a bit complex compared to my 94. On a maverick, I can do my own oil and filter changes, brakes, tire rotations, struts/shocks, axles, wheel bearings, thermostats, radiators, water pumps, and other mechanical hard parts as they wear out.

Where it gets dicey is the electronics. I have an OBDll scan tool, and it works pretty good to give me fault codes that I can look up on my phone. The codes get you close on all the sensors and stuff. You have to troubleshoot from there. I have done ok with my wifes 2013 grand caravan and my daily driver 2008 chevy HHR using the OBDll scan tool.

My 94 is so old it pre dates even OBD-1 and requires a paperclip jumper from terminal A to terminal B in its ALDL port, flip the key on count the number of check engine light flashes, look up the flash codes in a service manual and troubleshoot from there.

I will buy the extended warranty on the maverick that covers all the electronics, and when it's over, if all else fails I can troubleshoot with my OBDll plug in diagnostic tester, and use google and youtube. I am sure by then any issues that crop up, somebody will already have made a video on how to fix it. I suppose some of it is the fear of the unknown with a more advanced vehicle than what I'm used to. I do think I'm going to like running google maps, and playing my pandora selections on that nice center touch screen though.

Ford Maverick This has me worried, and i havent even got mine yet 20160709_093233

Ford Maverick This has me worried, and i havent even got mine yet 20191208_135638

Last edited:

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Quality and repairs across all manufacturers is a bit of a crapshoot. My Acura TL had to have the transmission replaced twice - once proactively and once after warranty ran out…but they covered because this component had been extended. I had a Ford F150 bought new in 1996 that was the biggest piece of junk - then I had a 2004 Lariat F150 4x4 Triton that lasted 180K miles until 2017. Yes we got the dreaded tap (5.4 Triton issue nevermind the spark plugs) but made $10K on Trade in. That then became our 2017 Honda Ridgeline which was good but many small things - back sliding window, various electronic components, weather stripping fail and ultimately multiple attempts to fix the transmission from a Surge that would show up (again common for that vehicle - first recall was a transmission flush and fill…).

Point is, can be good or not you just never know. Our 2016 Mini has bee absolutely reliable and a joy to own but if you read the history rated awful. My daughter’s 2019 VW GTI similar - and has been a joy to own (not to mention 6 year 72K warranty). This Maverick may be great in Eco but a pain in Hybrid - or vice-versa.

I will say I feel better getting an Ecoboost as this engine had its issues in different forms but Ford has had long-enough to get sorted by all accounts. You would think similar to the Hybrid (i.e. Fusion) but there is enough “new” that they still have some things to sort - may be small and easily resolved. As noted, if concerned get the extended warranty but I’m hoping for a vehicle like my 2004 F150 - something that will just run and run well. At least that is my bet

still driving the 2004 with the 4.6 - purchased 1/6/2010 with 121,606 - If the Mav is half as good I will be satisfied

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably should hold off from posting, but the cam shaft issue gave me some pause since they have been making them sometime on the hybrid 2.5l. Guess there was some changes with bosses or personal for the milling to be off and quality control not catching it. Also maybe upping the number corporate or someone is telling them to produce and comes with a cost. There have been 5 Maverick engine failures that resulted in fires, <-- This 5 Maverick thing is according to JCCR in talking about the lawsuit.

The other issues feel fine that they find an issue and correct it.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it was younger and had fewer miles on it, yes, it would still be a daily driver. Now it's technically 2 years away from being an antique. I will register it as such when it hits 30 years old. This was special ordered exactly the way I wanted it. As such, i loved this truck from day 1. That's why I still have it. It's not for sale. I have had offers left on my windshield wiper plenty of times. My son has his eyes on it now, but he wont get it until he understands the value of it. Likely after I pass on, he will inherit it.

Apparently GMT400s are now selling for crazy money these days. This one is solid, straight, super clean inside, and rust free still running around with original paint. In this condition I could get an easy $18k out of it in the right circles. That's actually funny since that's what I payed for it new lol. But it bears repeating, it's not for sale. Easy to work on, super reliable, and just damn good looking too.

Is the maverick worth the complexity to me? I'd say so. It's a pretty neat vehicle that fits my needs pretty exactly at the moment, and likely for the next 15 years. As far as vehicles for me go, the right one I keep a long time. I dont need the latest and greatest and then trade em off every 2-4 years. As far as complexity goes, yes it's a bit complex compared to my 94. On a maverick, I can do my own oil and filter changes, brakes, tire rotations, struts/shocks, axles, wheel bearings, thermostats, radiators, water pumps, and other mechanical hard parts as they wear out.

Where it gets dicey is the electronics. I have an OBDll scan tool, and it works pretty good to give me fault codes that I can look up on my phone. The codes get you close on all the sensors and stuff. You have to troubleshoot from there. I have done ok with my wifes 2013 grand caravan and my daily driver 2008 chevy HHR using the OBDll scan tool.

My 94 is so old it pre dates even OBD-1 and requires a paperclip jumper from terminal A to terminal B in its ALDL port, flip the key on count the number of check engine light flashes, look up the flash codes in a service manual and troubleshoot from there.

I will buy the extended warranty on the maverick that covers all the electronics, and when it's over, if all else fails I can troubleshoot with my OBDll plug in diagnostic tester, and use google and youtube. I am sure by then any issues that crop up, somebody will already have made a video on how to fix it. I suppose some of it is the fear of the unknown with a more advanced vehicle than what I'm used to. I do think I'm going to like running google maps, and playing my pandora selections on that nice center touch screen though.

20160709_093233.jpg

20191208_135638.jpg
That's a VERY nice truck, you're right to be proud of how well it's been kept.

I've owned pre-OBD2 cars, an 87 Ford and an 87 Pontiac. While the GM/Pontiac had the rudimentary computer with the ALDL connector and needed a paperclip and counting flashes, the 87 Ford "EEC-IV" computer was much more advanced. Although it reported codes in the same way, it had wiggle and relay cycle test modes, as well as an interactive 'Key On Engine Running' test.

I will also be buying an extended warranty, for much the same reasons.

Espeer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2003 expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The article seemed pretty focused on quality during production. Seems like the mav has had more design/engineering issues. The warm-up program, the design of the cable connectors (arguable), the after the fact speed holes. The fuel tank holes was the only production one I can recall.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Barracuda340

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's a VERY nice truck, you're right to be proud of how well it's been kept.

I've owned pre-OBD2 cars, an 87 Ford and an 87 Pontiac. While the GM/Pontiac had the rudimentary computer with the ALDL connector and needed a paperclip and counting flashes, the 87 Ford "EEC-IV" computer was much more advanced. Although it reported codes in the same way, it had wiggle and relay cycle test modes, as well as an interactive 'Key On Engine Running' test.

I will also be buying an extended warranty, for much the same reasons.
Thank you. This thing drives like a large passenger car. I likened it to driving a square body caprice wagon with a bed. LOL.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I lose no sleep over the quality of my Maverick.

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you go looking for something, chances are you're going to find it. If you're looking for Maverick problems, you'll find them here. Consumer reviews have merit, but take with a grain of salt. The small percentage of those who have problems is far more vocal than those that don't have any issues.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably should hold off from posting, but the cam shaft issue gave me some pause since they have been making them sometime on the hybrid 2.5l. Guess there was some changes with bosses or personal for the milling to be off and quality control not catching it.
Crankshaft, not camshaft. And it was specifically due to a singular instance of the polishing tape on a journal finishing machine breaking.
Sponsored