Sponsored

Theoretical: Help me choose between a 2023 Maverick on order or a lightly used 2021 F-150

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2023 Maverick Lariat hybrid on order, lux package, 360 assist package, moon roof, etc. Looks like it will cost around $34,545 in round figures. The catch is that I may not see it for a year or more, and that it is of course less capable than an F-150. In return, it's cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate overall, and cheaper to fuel. It can't do things like mount a camper shell though. It can pull a few lighter campers.

A friend has sent me a listing for a 2021 F-150 XLT that is still in the factory 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. It's a 4x4 6.5 foot bed 3.5L twin turbo hybrid, with the 360 assist package, the 7.2 kW ProPower package, and not too much else. Although it is a hybrid, its MPG is not nearly as good as the Maverick, but it is also much more capable, and I could make use of those increased capabilities to mount a camper shell.

Sticker MSRP price on it is $61,645, but the sale price is a bit less than $50,000.

Assuming that I can afford either truck, what might be the reasons for and against passing up a Maverick for this F-150?
Sponsored

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are different trucks in size and capability. I have never owned a large truck but I have used friends full size pick ups. The Maverick fits in the garage. My neighbors with rangers and larger pick ups complain they do not fit in standard garages. The maverick can only carry 1500 pounds and I believe that includes passengers. I would not take my Maverick to the out door supply store and have them put a scoop of rock or soil in it. With the warning on the tie down I am translating that into a possible twist problem. If you can twist the body with the tie downs a uneven load could possibly do the same. For the positive I would load bagged rock and soil etc up to 1000 pounds evenly in the bed. I like my maverick for hauling my oversized stuff around. My sons house was in a rare flood this spring and during the rebuild I was able to haul sheet rock and other building materials without a problem. I just had to make more trips to loxxx and homxxxxxx. To get every thing home. Much easier than loading and unloading my van. I describe the Maverick as a 4 passenger car with a open trunk. If you need a heavy duty truck I would go with the f-150 On the other side if you can get by with a light duty truck the Maverick is the way to go. I feel the Maverick is the right truck for my Dailey needs. My Lariat with all wheel drive and off road package’s rides great, reasonable gas mileage (25/PG over all). Meets my light duty truck needs in a metro area. This is my opinion of my Maverick. I purchased it for a light hauler with a great look. Good luck because both trucks are a good choice however buy what meets your needs first of all.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Towing. The Maverick Hybrid can't tow Jack. The F150 will tow Jack and his entire crop of Beanstalks. Or an excavator (not a huge excavator, but a small excavator).

The Maverick will sip gas. Gee, have you seen the price of gas going up this week? Well, you ain't seen nothing yet!

That sounds like a particularly nice and useful F150. If the F150 generator has a 30 AMP outlet, you could possibly run your whole house from it. Check out the Generlink system, it attaches under your electric meter, so no additional electrical panels are needed. I spent the past two days testing and breaking in my new generator. It's really heavy. Having it mounted in an F150 would be very helpful. I saw a guy on TV in Texas when the windmills froze, he ran his whole house for three days with his F150.

Based on all of the facts and circumstances, the obvious solution is to buy them both.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy the f150 and take the next year to decide if you want to keep it

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 53 Dodge M37
What Impetus19 said.

Sponsored

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2023 Maverick Lariat hybrid on order, lux package, 360 assist package, moon roof, etc. Looks like it will cost around $34,545 in round figures. The catch is that I may not see it for a year or more, and that it is of course less capable than an F-150. In return, it's cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate overall, and cheaper to fuel. It can't do things like mount a camper shell though. It can pull a few lighter campers.

A friend has sent me a listing for a 2021 F-150 XLT that is still in the factory 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. It's a 4x4 6.5 foot bed 3.5L twin turbo hybrid, with the 360 assist package, the 7.2 kW ProPower package, and not too much else. Although it is a hybrid, its MPG is not nearly as good as the Maverick, but it is also much more capable, and I could make use of those increased capabilities to mount a camper shell.

Sticker MSRP price on it is $61,645, but the sale price is a bit less than $50,000.

Assuming that I can afford either truck, what might be the reasons for and against passing up a Maverick for this F-150?
If you need the space, added towing capacity, higher gvwr and need it sooner; and can live with greatly reduced milage and spending about $20k more, get the F-150. Otherwise, order the maverick and settle in for the long wait. 😉

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A hybrid F150 marked down 10k+ is a pretty good deal. I would heavily consider it. It is going to be a more robust and solid vehicle imo.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The listing may not be accurate.. just FYI.

They're so completely different. If you can really get the F-150 at that price you're not likely to lose out, even if you end up trading it for the Maverick.

DJF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Depending on condition, I'd take the F-150 in a heartbeat at that price. Just my opinion, but it's resale and realibility long term will be much better than a Maverick.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The listing may not be accurate.. just FYI.

They're so completely different. If you can really get the F-150 at that price you're not likely to lose out, even if you end up trading it for the Maverick.
Yeah, get both.

OP
OP
MostlySafeBear

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, get both.
Ha, I can't afford that, at least right now.

I'll be putting off any purchasing decisions until I've saved up a significant 5 digit down payment, which should be by the end of the year if things fall into place as expected.

So far, I am leaning towards getting the F-150, and keeping my Maverick order. That way, if for whatever reason I'm not happy with the F-150 but I would have been happier with the Maverick, I haven't lost that option.
Sponsored