Sponsored

The XL elephant in the room... no cruise control on the XL..

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
with CA drivers constantly changing lanes and squeezing into the most dangerous little amount of room between you and car in front and massive stop and go "rush hour" traffic on nearly every freeway 24/7 I found very few times I could even use my CC anywhere near a city. I moved away in 2017 and the couple times I've been back it has only gotten worse, especially going north/south any distance on I-5 or 1-15.
I'm hoping the adaptive cruise control with stop and go on the Lariat is highly reliable, and that it works well in that kind of traffic so you can take it easy and let people hopscotch around you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll just say what everyone else is saying about the CC, I get that a 20k truck wont come with everything I want, but i want the option for an additional charge. Yes, a 2.0 is available w AWD, but $3300 is a big step up on a 20k truck. And it also only gets like 24 MPGs which is a big step down in efficiency. The Escape already has hybrid AWD. I think this is just a way to squeeze 3300 bones outta people.
But you DO have the option to add AWD for additional charge- and it even comes with the 2.0L! Best of all worlds:ROFLMAO: You also DO have the option of buying Escape instead for drivetrain you must have to be happy, though I'm not sure you can use Escape system as direct comparison either. That vehicle is a few model years old now. I seem to recall someone saying the Hybrid system in new Maverick is different and has new CVT as well? I'm retired on a fixed income and have no problem with that +$3300 bump for the AWD and 2.0L. It was 1 of my decision points too, if it was only offered on highest trim Lariat or something and was gonna push me above $30K I budgeted for a new truck. I had been thinking new Ranger or possibly new Frontier until news of Maverick broke and those starting MSRPs are $26k+ for even current Ranger and $29k+ for Frontier. As it stands now I configured my XL with the AWD/2.0 + 4K tow package + spray in bed liner + full size spare tire + all weather floor liners set + tailgate lock and coming in at $26,365 after destination, delivery and all those other BS fees. I'm thrilled to be getting all that considering my previous cost expectations on Ranger and Frontier 👍

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
But you DO have the option to add AWD for additional charge- and it even comes with the 2.0L! Best of all worlds:ROFLMAO: You also DO have the option of buying Escape instead for drivetrain you must have to be happy, though I'm not sure you can use Escape system as direct comparison either. That vehicle is a few model years old now. I seem to recall someone saying the Hybrid system in new Maverick is different and has new CVT as well? I'm retired on a fixed income and have no problem with that +$3300 bump for the AWD and 2.0L. It was 1 of my decision points too, if it was only offered on highest trim Lariat or something and was gonna push me above $30K I budgeted for a new truck. I had been thinking new Ranger or possibly new Frontier until news of Maverick broke and those starting MSRPs are $26k+ for even current Ranger and $29k+ for Frontier. As it stands now I configured my XL with the AWD/2.0 + 4K tow package + spray in bed liner + full size spare tire + all weather floor liners set + tailgate lock and coming in at $26,365 after destination, delivery and all those other BS fees. I'm thrilled to be getting all that considering my previous cost expectations on Ranger and Frontier 👍
Oddly enough I cross shopped the Maverick and Ranger. The Ranger has a lot going for it in it's most basic form IMO. Longer box, full frame, 10 speed trans, larger more powerful engine, etc. Best of all, it's made in the USA. I've own two vehicles made in Mexico and neither one was worth writing home about. Cross reviewing, I feel the Ranger will be quieter on the H/W, true to it's mpg and no issues with power. The Maverick's back seat is lost on me. I'd rather have a Ext. cab with extra room in the box. Before the chip debacle, I could purchase the basic 2WD Ranger for $26.5, lot of truck for the money.

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oddly enough I cross shopped the Maverick and Ranger. The Ranger has a lot going for it in it's most basic form IMO. Longer box, full frame, 10 speed trans, larger more powerful engine, etc. Best of all, it's made in the USA. I've own two vehicles made in Mexico and neither one was worth writing home about. Cross reviewing, I feel the Ranger will be quieter on the H/W, true to it's mpg and no issues with power. The Maverick's back seat is lost on me. I'd rather have a Ext. cab with extra room in the box. Before the chip debacle, I could purchase the basic 2WD Ranger for $26.5, lot of truck for the money.
I would like to see a 2WD Ranger. Do they set lower and are easier get in and out of? All the dealers around here had 4WD on the lots and were all priced $36.000-$42.000.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
have you owned or driven a current generation Ranger? I haven't but most of the magazine tests I read said they don't handle well on the road in normal driving and tended to hop and bounce a lot from rear end design. The new design 2023 Ranger will supposedly fix that and other complaints by "tuning" the suspension better. I did sit in a 2019 at the dealer showroom but didn't drive it and my biggest complaint was the high step in at tailgate for loading motorcycles. I was hoping a 2WD would show up to sit in and test drive but never happened. I recently used the Ford configurator on a Ranger build and that $26.5 is just the MSRP before adding any options and all the Freight, delivery andd other BS fees added. Agree with you on Mav crew cab & short bed- I don't get it.

Sponsored

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
have you owned or driven a current generation Ranger? I haven't but most of the magazine tests I read said they don't handle well on the road in normal driving and tended to hop and bounce a lot from rear end design. The new design 2023 Ranger will supposedly fix that and other complaints by "tuning" the suspension better. I did sit in a 2019 at the dealer showroom but didn't drive it and my biggest complaint was the high step in at tailgate for loading motorcycles. I was hoping a 2WD would show up to sit in and test drive but never happened. I recently used the Ford configurator on a Ranger build and that $26.5 is just the MSRP before adding any options and all the Freight, delivery andd other BS fees added. Agree with you on Mav crew cab & short bed- I don't get it.
Not the current gen Ranger. I know what the testers have written which I question. I bought my first new truck in 1972 and still have a truck. I've found that testers typically don't drive pick ups a lot and the rear leaf spring suspension seems rough to them. They are compared to a car or car base suv for the most part.

What's odd is I've heard the current Ranger is actually considered softly sprung compared to a Tacoma, which I have owned. Testers also stated the current Colorado/Canyon are bouncy. When I drove one, I found it smooth(for a truck) compared to the full size trucks, which I do own currently. I agree 100% about the tailgate down measurement. The manufactures have ruined trucks for work by following trends. I was all set to trade in my Tacoma when the new ones came out although it was raised almost 4" when it was redesigned, Nope! My current truck has been lowered in the rear 1.5" to help load items although when I saw the box height on the Maverick, it really grabbed my attention.

The current Ranger XL Ext Cab in 2WD trim is $26,265 which includes destination charge. I like bare, basic trucks, less is more.

Last edited:

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For everyone worried about cruise control... I can almost guarantee that with the swap of an more premium steering wheel (to be specific, just the buttons from that steering wheel) you will be able to activate cruise control. It could be as simple as just plugging in the required buttons to activate. The more complicated route but still very much doable would be having to use a programming app (forscan, yes that's really what its called...) to activate the feature along with having the buttons. Aftermarket cruise control should not be required.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I would like to see a 2WD Ranger. Do they set lower and are easier get in and out of? All the dealers around here had 4WD on the lots and were all priced $36.000-$42.000.
Unfortunately, the bare bones Ranger XL 2WD only sits about .3" lower. I'm not short although see this as a issue for loading. That said, if you buy the Maverick and want to load Plywood/Drywall, etc., you'll have to lift it to the height of the 2x's you put in place in the notches. I've a couple neighbors who have the tall 4WD trucks and guess what?, they both own trailers, in which they haul all their stuff, they never put anything in the back of the truck. I'd be embarrassed....

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
For everyone worried about cruise control... I can almost guarantee that with the swap of an more premium steering wheel (to be specific, just the buttons from that steering wheel) you will be able to activate cruise control. It could be as simple as just plugging in the required buttons to activate. The more complicated route but still very much doable would be having to use a programming app (forscan, yes that's really what its called...) to activate the feature along with having the buttons. Aftermarket cruise control should not be required.
Toyota use to not offer CC on their base Tacomas. The owners figured out it was a Plug and Play w/ factory stalk with the wiring and plug inside the column. Well that too place for a year or two until the plug and wiring magically disappeared. :-[
The aftermarket CC I had installed by a reputable company never worked smoothly, did not hold speeds and triggering it would require several stabs of the button, never again.

*The dealer I'm working with on a Maverick has their parts/service department investigating a dealer installed factory CC for the XL. So far, no word back. They know it's a lost sale if they can't come up with something, I'll post anything I hear back from them.

Last edited:

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
Does anyone see a CD player listed in the radio equipment? I hope one is standard with any radio, I don't use the radio, I have CD's to listen to.
XM radio or Pandora these days my friend.

Sponsored

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
just hoping you can turn off the seatbelt nanny without hooking up a computer
After 8 years of owning my '13 f150 i stumbled across a procedure in the 650 page owner's manual to shut that thing up. Simple to do. Look through the index to find the procedure.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Im 35 and Im boggled why not having cruise is such an issue on this. Absolutely boggled. I use it as much as I use my A/C. Literally never. I dont know any of my buddies that use cruise control in their cars either (but they use AC when they have newer cars with it functioning. They wont pay to fix it though if it breaks). Basically everyone I know views cruise like they do having a cigarette lighter from the factory. Mostly pointless.

Its completely absurd that not having cruise breaks a deal for a car purchase for someone. Straight up ludicrous, especially when you consider how easy it will be to add after the fact with all the OEM parts and a quick reprogram at WORST.
Hi Rob, I got a bum foot from a bike wreck years ago. More than twenty miles on the highway becomes painful without CopControl. Ummm, CruiseControl. But it won't break the deal for me cuz I'm too cheap to get XLT. I just want a cheap rig with steel wheels. The dealer guy says he thinks a bunch of the XLs are going to have it (CC) anyway. We'll see. Plus we'll see about aftermarket CC.
But you're right on the AC.

hondabuster

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav hybrid ,tacoma
Has anyone done any research, into finding the shop to do the work, and ask them what is involved, and what the estimated cost will be, to add an aftermarket cruise control?

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Toyota use to not offer CC on their base Tacomas. The owners figured out it was a Plug and Play w/ factory stalk with the wiring and plug inside the column. Well that too place for a year or two until the plug and wiring magically disappeared. :-[
The aftermarket CC I had installed by a reputable company never worked smoothly, did not hold speeds and triggering it would require several stabs of the button, never again.

*The dealer I'm working with on a Maverick has their parts/service department investigating a dealer installed factory CC for the XL. So far, no word back. They know it's a lost sale if they can't come up with something, I'll post anything I hear back from them.
They won't lose my sale, but i would love for cruise on an XL for ~$500 or so. If it creeps up into the $1,500 range i would pass as one can upgrade to the XLT for 2200 more.
Sponsored