Sponsored

The XL elephant in the room... no cruise control on the XL..

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
I'm done with constantly cleaning designer truck wheels, so one of the big draws to me regarding the XL model is the plain Jane metal wheels. But I do like cruise control for open highways and interstates. During a weak moment I once looked at a base Chevrolet Colorado and it didn't have cruise control either. Seems like CC should be standard equipment.
CC Is optional on the Silverado W/T base package. Which is basically CC, Key fob and power tailgate lock and window tint. (Current work truck)
Sponsored

OP
OP
douglas685

douglas685

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XL ordered, currently Honda Ridgeline
Says the dilapidated asshole harassing people over cruise control
Pompous individual here
Yeah I don't think I'm asking for something unreasonable here. It's 2021. Should be standard. Period.

Now if Ford wants to make a basic feature like that an option on the XL model so they can offer it at $19,999; fine, but I'm literally going to get laughed at for having a truck with Android Auto but no cruise control. Again, it makes no sense. And older folks (btw I'm in my 30's) can laugh and say get over it, but I'm just telling you "no cruise control" is very comical to people under 40 (news flash, that's the majority of the population).

It's like what else are you going to remove, no cupholders? It literally costs ford effectively nothing to put in, less than a dollar. Honestly if might cost them more to delete it as they then have to have another line for the production, parts, etc. of the deleted versions, so it's clearly a money grab. But again, I'm not upset it's not included as standard, but more that I can't even option it when so many other options are available and other items are standard. It's almost designed to piss people like me off (worked like a charm) but I'm still getting the XL model Ford so what's it going to be? You want more money with options or less?

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
You'd think that, but if you look over the details on the options page and what the Copilot 360 package says it adds.. no, it doesn't. Which makes literally 0 sense. How can you give me lane keep assist with no basic cruise control?? But that's what Ford is doing. Per the spec sheet; cruise control is not available, even optionable, on the XL despite the Co-pilot 360 package being available and automatic braking being standard. Crazy.
oh I see

that's stupid

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
does the 360 package add in Cruise Control on the XL? I'm 99% certain it does - how else do you activate the lane keeping system that comes with that package?
Lane keeping system doesn’t need cruise to operate. Have it on current Subaru and rarely use it. Never use it in winter, I don’t want a computer steering the vehicle when it’s slippery.

Oakland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One more thing for the XL, I would love to have a vinyl floor or even an optional rubber floor like the Bronco instead of carpet.

Sponsored

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
Since cruise control has transitioned from a mechanical component to a computer component, could the chip issues been a way for Ford to be extra stingy with the Maverick? I mean, cutting CC to save chip issues and get the vehicle to market far outweighs upsetting/losing possible reservation holders. Also, I highly doubt Ford would cut safety feature before cutting CC in a vehicle. As annoying (and useless at times) safety features are, I feel that leaving off the main safety suite would 1) screw Ford up in the vehicle safety rating it will get later and 2) be negative PR they do not need.

Plus, all Ford needs to do is pop out the memo saying that CC will be a late model availability. Once they get their plants receiving more chips and delayed vehicles making their way out, we'll see the CC option on the XL trim quiet appear.

Side note: maybe it's because I live in the DC Metro area, but I drive 45 miles to work and use CC for only half of it, and that's only if I pay to drive on the express lanes. Don't get me wrong, I like CC and will upgrade to the XLT to get it, but did anyone think Ford was going to keep all the S trim stuff for a $20k base model compact truck? I mean, I see Android Auto and Apple Car play merely as Ford's way of cutting cost out of the infotainment (a.k.a want "Sync 3", use your phone).

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since cruise control has transitioned from a mechanical component to a computer component, could the chip issues been a way for Ford to be extra stingy with the Maverick? I mean, cutting CC to save chip issues and get the vehicle to market far outweighs upsetting/losing possible reservation holders. Also, I highly doubt Ford would cut safety feature before cutting CC in a vehicle. As annoying (and useless at times) safety features are, I feel that leaving off the main safety suite would 1) screw Ford up in the vehicle safety rating it will get later and 2) be negative PR they do not need.

Plus, all Ford needs to do is pop out the memo saying that CC will be a late model availability. Once they get their plants receiving more chips and delayed vehicles making their way out, we'll see the CC option on the XL trim quiet appear.

Side note: maybe it's because I live in the DC Metro area, but I drive 45 miles to work and use CC for only half of it, and that's only if I pay to drive on the express lanes. Don't get me wrong, I like CC and will upgrade to the XLT to get it, but did anyone think Ford was going to keep all the S trim stuff for a $20k base model compact truck? I mean, I see Android Auto and Apple Car play merely as Ford's way of cutting cost out of the infotainment (a.k.a want "Sync 3", use your phone).
I bet it still has the “chip” for Cruise. It all in the computer throttle system in the ECU. I’m willing to bet the wire harness is there in the Wheel for it

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Says the dilapidated asshole harassing people over cruise control
Pompous individual here
At 1st I thought you were just having a bad day because somebody pissed in your Cheerios. Then I noticed your location is GB and it makes sense. You are just jealous because this cool vehicle will never be available to you and you decided to Troll us and stir :poop: here! Feel better now? :ROFLMAO:

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I don't think I'm asking for something unreasonable here. It's 2021. Should be standard. Period.

Now if Ford wants to make a basic feature like that an option on the XL model so they can offer it at $19,999; fine, but I'm literally going to get laughed at for having a truck with Android Auto but no cruise control. Again, it makes no sense. And older folks (btw I'm in my 30's) can laugh and say get over it, but I'm just telling you "no cruise control" is very comical to people under 40 (news flash, that's the majority of the population).

It's like what else are you going to remove, no cupholders? It literally costs ford effectively nothing to put in, less than a dollar. Honestly if might cost them more to delete it as they then have to have another line for the production, parts, etc. of the deleted versions, so it's clearly a money grab. But again, I'm not upset it's not included as standard, but more that I can't even option it when so many other options are available and other items are standard. It's almost designed to piss people like me off (worked like a charm) but I'm still getting the XL model Ford so what's it going to be? You want more money with options or less?
I truly understand your point that it's not about it not being standard equipment, it's the fact that it's not even an option. I agree that it doesn't make sense when you consider other options that are available on the XL model. That honestly feels like an oversight from Ford that I would bet gets corrected the next model year when they shift around options & packages.

But if you really like the Maverick then I do think you're getting a little too concerned over it because as others have mentioned CC is something that can be easily be added aftermarket. The controls won't look the same as the factory CC but it will function exactly the same. 30 years ago I had aftermarket CC installed on my 1986 prelude. I'm sure either the Ford dealership could handle it or you could even find an independent shop. Usually places that install remote starters and stereo equipment also offer installation of aftermarket CC.

Jasper6144

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
This truck is aimed at “urban” drivers where cruise control would never be used.

You'd probably be surprised to learn that there are urban drivers that use CC daily

The ones I personally know use it because they have lead foots.....with to many tickets.

Sponsored

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use cruise control quite a bit. Both my work car and my wife's Subaru have active cruise control, which makes a huge difference on long drives. The lane centering on my dad's new Subaru is really impressive. Unfortunately, you have to get a totally optioned out lariat to get these features which runs the price up near $37,000. Put me right out of the market! I reckon I can wait around a while and see if I can pick up a used lariat for less in 5 years or so.
Yeah, just sold my Forester (our 5th Subaru) with Eyesight/adaptive cruise control. Agreed, it is really great for long trips. Don’t like the HARD breaking when someone moves over on you though. I would normally just let my foot off the gas and handle it in a far less dramatic manner. Don’t have experience with Ford’s version though.

Jasper6144

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150

The only thing that cost nothing is nothing.... Everything has a cost.

When your profit margin is 10% or less every cent counts.

RM83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Ford Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Every car that I have owned has had cruise control and I have never used it. Doesn't bother me at all that the XL model has no cruise control.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
just hoping you can turn off the seatbelt nanny without hooking up a computer

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just hoping you can turn off the seatbelt nanny without hooking up a computer
Just go under the seat and tie wires together that go to the seatbelt.
The chime is in the computer. So that’s the only way to disable that.
Sponsored