Sponsored

The New Electric Ford Esca... Err, I mean Explorer. Thoughts From MTC?

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
Pics have already "leaked" online of the new Explorer EV set for Europe. It looks like a Ford Escape with F-150 headlights and taillights and a Bronco Sport C-pillar. I figured it would be interesting for this forum considering that the Maverick is based off of the Escape's platform, and this might be what the Escape becomes in a few years when it allegedly goes EV (per that leaked document of future Ford vehicle platforms) a.k.a. a future Maverick EV for those interested. So share your thoughts below if you care to.

Ford Maverick The New Electric Ford Esca... Err, I mean Explorer.  Thoughts From MTC? Fford-explorer-suv-electric-ev-reveal-eu-germany-1

Ford Maverick The New Electric Ford Esca... Err, I mean Explorer.  Thoughts From MTC? Fford-explorer-suv-electric-ev-reveal-eu-germany-2

Ford Maverick The New Electric Ford Esca... Err, I mean Explorer.  Thoughts From MTC? Fford-explorer-suv-electric-ev-reveal-eu-germany-3

Ford Maverick The New Electric Ford Esca... Err, I mean Explorer.  Thoughts From MTC? Fford-explorer-suv-electric-ev-reveal-eu-germany-4

Ford Maverick The New Electric Ford Esca... Err, I mean Explorer.  Thoughts From MTC? Fford-explorer-suv-electric-ev-reveal-eu-germany-5

Ford Maverick The New Electric Ford Esca... Err, I mean Explorer.  Thoughts From MTC? ford-explorer-suv-electric-ev-reveal-eu-germany-11
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like it's mostly built on VW underpinnings. So aside from design language it's probably only vaguely relevant to what Ford might develop in-house for an EV C2 platform successor (and the Mach-E already sooort of is that).

OP
OP
eRock92

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
Sounds like it's mostly built on VW underpinnings. So aside from design language it's probably only vaguely relevant to what Ford might develop in-house for an EV C2 platform successor (and the Mach-E already sooort of is that).
Well if I remember correctly from that leaked doc, the Mach-E is supposed to move to another platform in a few years. It's still interesting to see what ford is cooking up.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thats one of the first "big screen" interiors that I dont inherently hate with a passion that burns like the surface of Mercury. Also from the outside it looks a helluva lot better than any Tesla.

Sponsored

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's a lot closer to an Explorer than the Mustang Mach-E is to a Mustang.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe some of the above posts contain a few guesses that are incorrect. This gap filler product for Europe is based on the VW MEB platform, with a new Ford body stuck atop it for styling differences. You can buy this in the USA right now by driving down to your VW dealer and asking for an ID 4. Same car with different "top hat". Same poorly-engineered BEV platform heavily panned by the teardown experts at Munro Associates. But in fairness, selling well and apparently liked by many buyers (who really don't care about engineering excellence).

This is not, I repeat NOT the platform that will underpin the next Ford Escape. This is a convenient exercise in "badge engineering" to meet the BEV mandates of the European market. In a lot of ways, this is exactly what GM did to deliver the Bolt (which was an LG Battery and motor and software on an econohatch body). It is somebody else's product with a different looking body.

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same poorly-engineered BEV platform heavily panned by the teardown experts at Munro Associates.
To be fair Munro disparages pretty much any maker outside their shilling for Tesla or maybe Rivian (one of which the namesake just so happens to own).

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To be fair Munro disparages pretty much any maker outside their shilling for Tesla or maybe Rivian (one of which the namesake just so happens to own).
I don't find that accurate at all. Munro won't review or comment on any company with which they currently have a financial or business arrangement. And they threw Tesla under the bus HARD with the first model 3. It was only after Tesla fixed their problems that Munro started praising them.

You're right about the Rivian. But the actual story is that they got the truck to tear down, and Sandy and his wife were so impressed that they claimed it for their own and bought another to tear down. Also, Munro Associates has praised the Mach E and Lightning quite a bit. They had critiques, but also praise. And if you watched the Rivian teardown, they ripped it quite a bit for overengineering and spending money where they didn't need to. So Rivian didn't get a free pass.

As a rule, they're widely respected by professionals inside the industry. Maybe not liked. But respected. And they're considered highly impartial. And they back up everything they say with detailed factual reports that anyone in the industry can buy, down to the cost of a diode.

About the MEB and ID4. Munro isn't the only one to throw VW under the bus. ID4 owners who used to be fanboys are very much up in arms at how badly VW has botched the software. VW is a showcase for everything wrong with a bunch of ancient transmission and ICE engine guys trying to design a BEV in a company that is a fossil. Highly successful and huge - but a fossil.
Sponsored

Last edited: