First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old SUV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For instance $1155 from Granger for 7yr/100k mi with $100 deductible and you can use those $210 FordPass points on it. How much much a cat-back (or heat exchanger-back for a hybrid) 309 stainless exhaust cost? $700-800 plus install (another $100-200)?
For that price I would consider it, not bad for the coverage. I am guessing that is 3rd party. Last time I was offered something similar at the For dealer it was more like $2200...

And you correct on the exhaust pricing, especially after this inflation. Ironically it is harder to find 409SS than 304SS aftermarket exhausts, even harder with no to mild "sound improvements".
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For that price I would consider it, not bad for the coverage. I am guessing that is 3rd party. Last time I was offered something similar at the For dealer it was more like $2200...
That's for a Ford PremiumCare warranty. Grainger is legit and offering at only $50 above cost.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First, the truck in the Munro video is shown after a Michigan winter. Draw your conclusions about what it has experienced.

Second, almost all manufacturers use stainless steel, even the cheap stuff at the least in their exhaust systems as a given. This is because of the OBD II smog regulations that require a certain lifespan to these components and integrity to them. Thus, at the very least 400 series stainless steel is in most cases the lowest grade you will find on any vehicle since the mid-1990's.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First, the truck in the Munro video is shown after a Michigan winter. Draw your conclusions about what it has experienced.

Second, almost all manufacturers use stainless steel, even the cheap stuff at the least in their exhaust systems as a given. This is because of the OBD II smog regulations that require a certain lifespan to these components and integrity to them. Thus, at the very least 400 series stainless steel is in most cases the lowest grade you will find on any vehicle since the mid-1990's.
Keep in mind that Ford does not manufacture these components, they are all supplied by vendors. A vendor can claim the product they are supplying is whatever series they want and contains X% of chromium carbon and nickel but I assure you that especially in this day and age of supply chain issues Ford is not verifying that the components meet the standards for 400 series stainless. I theorize that so many vendors are supplying much much lower grade materials as a measure of cost cutting and that the last couple of years and the future couple of years will prove to be some of the most unreliable model years for automobiles manufactured in a long long time.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The video sure makes it seem like a rather low end metal used for the Mav exhaust what ever it might be made out of. I am in Buffalo NY are. My last few cars I never had to change the exhaust nor did they look as rusty as the Mav in video did. So from that I would say its a cheaper metal of some kind than normal . Past cars for me Honda crv 2001 , 2008 Honda fit 2015 Nissan versa note. and Now 2020 ford Ecosport. Two winters on Eco exhaust looks new much better than the Mav in video. with maybe ONE winter on it. If I even get a mav hybrid which looks rather doubtful as half of the orders wont be built. I will assuming its not middle of winter paint exhaust with High temp paint I used to do on exhaust headers. Might help a little?

Sponsored

OP
OP

mangler

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old SUV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Anything after the second cat is not covered by emissions warranty. So technically they could cheap out there, with minimal impact to their bottom line. I agree most cars these days have a 400 series piping and some heavy gauge aluminized mufflers that have lasted me 7-10 years in the worst conditions. This is why it is so surprising to see the condition of the exhaust in the video, very strange material choices in 2021.

Also, people in Arizona and California may avoid most of the issues pointed out in this thread ;)

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know if this anecdotal story is helpful or not. I owned a dirt cheap 2010 Ranger for 12 years and 120,000 miles. Every part on that truck was Ford cheap. I had to replace the shocks at 50,000 because they rusted out. I had a full brake system rebuild because it just fell apart. Multiple rotor rebuilds because they were dirt cheap. New clutch.

But the one part I never had to replace was the dirt cheap muffler. I have a theory that it was because of the EPA mandatory emissions program and the associated warranty. That muffler and exhaust system looked cheap and was covered with surface rust, but it was still going strong after 12 years of New England road salt.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t expect any significant exhaust issues here in central California. My ‘02 Ranger exhaust was still solid after 20 years, but maybe that was better steel.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why not just hit it with some high temp rustoleum? That should give it a little protection, no?
That is my plan assuming i get a mav in the spring of summer. High temp paint on the exhaust might help some. Hopefully some one will make an exhaust for it in a few years time.

But right now it doesn't look like I will get one at all as I ordered a 2023 hybrid new order not roll over,. Since it looks like they can only make half of all the orders taken in Sept. I doubt i will be lucky. Looking at other vehicles I might want.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For those that do not drive very much it will prolly rot out from the inside first.
And, short trips. The outside of the system is one thing, the inside is another. Plenty of moisture from combustion corroding the inside if the ICE doesn't run enough.

Mav2112

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick The need for an aftermarket exhaust on the Hybrid Ford Maverick CC640F08-73CE-4F79-81BA-0E7F74B17326

My muffler looks like this after 1 week of snowy weather; I just changed the oil 3 weeks ago and know for sure there was zero rust on the exhaust- quite concerning. I live in TN and the temps are now mild and above freezing so the truck is getting a good wash tomorrow.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The brake rotors on my Maverick were getting rusty after four days of not driving after being on salted roads. Never seen rotors that bad so fast in my life.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

After watching Sandy Munro's last video of a hybrid on the lift, the stock exhaust seems to be biodegradable. So an aftermarket exhaust made with materials used post 1975 (either 409 stainless or even 304 stainless steel) would be highly desirable, unless you plan on getting your exhaust replaced every time you get your coolant flushed.

I am not talking about a performance exhaust here, just stock sound with decent materials. You will note the "hybrid drivetrain coolant chamber" built-in to the exhaust stream will make any eco boost exhausts unusable, at least out of the box. If that was the only big difference between ecoboost and hybrid exhaust, a smart exhaust manufacturer could sell a "modified" ecoboost exhaust pre-cut with the heating chamber as a clamp on part.

I hate changing terrible parts multiple times, so I would definitely be interested to changing to a decent system, once, after the original line crumbles. Let me know your thoughts.
I'd be up for that!

Boomerang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid base on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I never spring for an extended warranty before but I plan on keeping this one. Awhile and it might be a good idea.
my prior f350 (gas) exhaust rusted out at 8 years and I got the cheapest flownaster I could find to pass inspection it rotted out in 5 years.
something not mentioned usually aftermarket for the same priceas oem can be built a bit nicer. The flow master was less than half the ford replacement
Sponsored