Sponsored

The First Cold Air Intake on a 2.5 Hybrid Maverick!

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Recall that @Buschur stated that when the vehicle is underway, the temps in the entire engine bay drop quickly because of Maverick's large grill. There is no "cold spot" in the engine bay. Once underway, it's all cool (relatively speaking). 👍
Thanks for the reply...

In that case, is the air the "Cold Air Intake" pulls in any colder than the air the normal intake pulls in through the snorkel? Or are they about the same?

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whoo boy. I used to be a mechanic and those aftermarket "reusable" filters these things often ship with... let's just say I wish the Maverick motor likes dust, because it's going to get all of it, lol. Increased airflow isn't achieved through magic you know it allows larger particles through than the factory style filter right?
If the filter material has the same density, but a larger surface area, does that allow lager particles? Logic would suggest “no.”

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the reply...

In that case, is the air the "Cold Air Intake" pulls in any colder than the air the normal intake pulls in through the snorkel? Or are they about the same?
With respect to the Maverick, specifically, the underhood temp once underway is more or less the same regardless of where the CAI is installed, OEM or otherwise.

The gains in power come from a reduction in the restrictions to air flow into the intake. This is resultant from the design of the intake itself. 👍

Last edited:

Sponsored

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the filter material has the same density, but a larger surface area, does that allow lager particles? Logic would suggest “no.”
Except it doesn't have the same density... You realize that most of these reusable filters are direct replacements, replacing the paper element filters right? There's no increase in surface area in those. These conical ones are the same exact material and density as those direct replacement ones and they both advertise the same level of "increase in air flow." Ask yourself if one is the same exact dimensions to be a direct replacement and can still offer "increased air flow" how can it be the same density? :unsure: :unsure:

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now if you increase filter area then you can get less restriction with the same filtering ability.
The question remains as to whether the stock airflow is significantly restricted. One would think the Ford engineers optimized airflow for performance and efficiency, rather than using a smaller filter to keep the cost down.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
The question remains as to whether the stock airflow is significantly restricted. One would think the Ford engineers optimized airflow for performance and efficiency, rather than using a smaller filter to keep the cost down.
They need to get the engine past the warranty period before it starts drinking oil. :)

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
one thing to also note is that the Hybrid has louvered front grill that opens and closes depending on the amount of cooling it needs to keep the aerodynamics.

Also any performance mods on a hybrid logically is to increase mileage vs make it to give more noise and power. if so the 2.0 gas engine would have been a better alternative for these aftermarket mods.

Adding a solar panel to keep the 12 battery maxed out, increasing the battery size (main battery), using forscan to allow it to rely on the battery more are real mods for a Hybrid.

I understand that these are more difficult mods to achieve then the standard boltons, but I am reading these forums for mods that will align with what hybrids are used for and make sense to reproduce on my truck.

If there is some data with this "cold intake" I or we sure would love to see it here.

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Crap, they couldn’t even design their own stock mudflats properly so they wouldn’t eat into the paint they “protect” within a few months. Doubtful they could do something even more complex like engine airflow design.

Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Crap, they couldn’t even design their own stock mudflats properly so they wouldn’t eat into the paint they “protect” within a few months. Doubtful they could do something even more complex like engine airflow design.
They probably have different engineers for these components.

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I dont anticipate much gains other than aesthetics for a CAI on a hybrid considering youre incentivized to drive in a manner that makes that mod negligible for most of the time

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
These aftermarket CAI have been proven to reduce performance many times. When will people accept this. The results you see are weight towards what the manufacturer wants you to see under staged conditions.

For example hood up so cool air can get sucked in. Then they will make many runs and use the lowest results for the "stock" specs and highest for the "CAI" specs when in reality the highest stock run would be higher than the highest CAI run.

Anything that sucks hot air for the engine is going to perform this way. That is why most manufacture come stock with an actual cold air intake. Cool air will always provide more power than hot air, that's why we have intercoolers.

And don't let them tell you a few degrees doesn't make a difference because it does. Lets use upgraded intercooler for example. You will get a 10 to 20 degree cooler are charge with a bigger intercool under load compared to stock intercooler. This has been proven to produce more power. Now if you start with 20 degree hotter air (engine bay CAI) then you are already starting with lower performance than stock.

Reactions: Guv

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

one thing to also note is that the Hybrid has louvered front grill that opens and closes depending on the amount of cooling it needs to keep the aerodynamics.

Also any performance mods on a hybrid logically is to increase mileage vs make it to give more noise and power. if so the 2.0 gas engine would have been a better alternative for these aftermarket mods.

Adding a solar panel to keep the 12 battery maxed out, increasing the battery size (main battery), using forscan to allow it to rely on the battery more are real mods for a Hybrid.

I understand that these are more difficult mods to achieve then the standard boltons, but I am reading these forums for mods that will align with what hybrids are used for and make sense to reproduce on my truck.

If there is some data with this "cold intake" I or we sure would love to see it here.
Wait,.. you can Forscan it to make it use more battery than gas???