First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had my truck for about 14 months, and these Contis are holding up okay. They got me through this past winter where we had very heavy snowfall here in Northern Utah.

I'll be replacing them in the fall for Les Schwab's Back Country A/T2.

Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles 1690222256312
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wife was headed to the tire shop to have the Nittos put on. Couldn't even make it to town. 3rd flat 3.5 miles from the house
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_15375463

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plugged it. Tiny rock cut as well as small cuts all over the tire. They couldn't patch it and the patch Ford did on the other one was no good either.

I'll post pics when I get home. These are the softest tires I've ever seen

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before y'all think I'm driving on an unmaintained road I'll say I've been driving a 96 Miata on it with cheap BFG car tires on it with no cuts for 30,000 miles. My county really revamped it over the last year and it is not horrible like it had been in the past.

So my wife was taking the Mav in to have the new tires put on at 3pm. I get a call on my combadge at work and she has a flat.

I thought the plug I put in blew out. Nope, a rock cut. I plug it and get it to discount, they change the tires and mount the best Conti on the steel rim I had them order.

The Contis have cuts all over them and had 8/32" of tread after 3,300 miles. At that rate they would have been in the wear bars at 13,000 miles assuming they had 10/32" new.
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles 20230726_174633
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18160115
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18161005

Those are on 1 tire in 1/4 rotation of it. Here's how soft they are.

The Nittos look great, have a ramped rim protector, 12/32" tread and have an actual 5 tread plies. I think the 108 Load rating means 6 ply rated.

My wife said all the road noise it had before is gone and these tires rode really smooth. Her words: "I feel like I was gliding" I expected a rough ride due to the higher load range but she was adamant that they rode great.

Oh yeah, the best part. The Nittos are made in the USA.
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18161865
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18162719
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18163661
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18164679
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18165569
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18170492
Ford Maverick The Continentals are Junk: Gotta Go. 3 flats 3,000 miles c1_20230726_18171311

Last edited:

Sponsored

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hope you have better luck with the Nittos. Post an update or a review in a couple of months. I'm gonna need a new set by then

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just an update on the Nittos. Wife said they ride great but did knock 1/2mpg off. Down to 26.2 vs 26.7 with the bicycle tires.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Had my truck 3 whole weeks and got a screw in a tire, sudden loss of pressure. Ford would have to order Contis, what am I supposed to do in the meantime? Grrrr. If it weren't for bad luck. Sitting in the waiting room waiting on 4 Michelin Defenders, putting out $$$$$ on a brand new truck. 😡😡😡😡😡

OP
OP
Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had my truck 3 whole weeks and got a screw in a tire, sudden loss of pressure. Ford would have to order Contis, what am I supposed to do in the meantime? Grrrr. If it weren't for bad luck. Sitting in the waiting room waiting on 4 Michelin Defenders, putting out $$$$$ on a brand new truck. 😡😡😡😡😡
Sorry to hear it. For me those tires were not safe to even run at all. With all the cuts on them I had no idea if they would blow out at highway speeds. It stinks but you are getting much higher quality safer tires.

I looked the Nittos over the other day and they have zero of those small cuts like the Contis have all over them. The compound on those is so soft as to be ridiculous.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just an update: Truck now has 5433 miles on it and no flats since the change. The Nittos looks great with no cuts like the bicycle tire Contis had.

We even had someone grade the road poorly and there are lots of big rocks you have no choice but to run over in the road. The Contis wouldn't make one pass on it right now without having a flat. The Nittos are tough no doubt.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had my truck for about 14 months, and these Contis are holding up okay. They got me through this past winter where we had very heavy snowfall here in Northern Utah.

I'll be replacing them in the fall for Les Schwab's Back Country A/T2.

1690222256312.png
Why overpay for tires? Les Schwab is a rip off. Price check the Wildpeaks from Discount and you'll see they are about $400 cheaper and a much better tire.

Go in to LS, ask for a quote, get the print out, come home and check on Discounts website. If you are military, there is another discount. If you put them on a Discount (synchrony) card, there is another discount.

Not of this earth

First Name
Brick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 RS 427 convertable F body
Engine
Undecided
This flat sucks. And I mean flat #2 in 3,000 miles. First one was ~500 miles first thing in the morning with the wife calling me at 0600, I changed it and I looked at the hole in it. Looked like a 1/4" piece of pipe went in and out of it. It was fixed at my dealership at no charge. I came home after changing the flat and found a piece of bent .22LR brass on my concrete garage aloha.

That is weird and I kinda thought that could have happened but I've never had that happen and I've had .22 brass in the driveway for 23 years. Move on--freak occurrence but I have never punctured a tire with a piece of brass. Strange.

OK. This morning wife calls me. I have a flat, at the gym, L front. I set up to change it and go take a look, pump it up with my Ryobi inflator and find the hole. Looks like an in/out from a nail but no nail present. Right in the tread blocks so thick rubber, right?

I decide to plug it and put the rasp in the hole--it's like a lawnmower tire--no resistance at all. If you've ever plugged a tire you know they are tough as heck, especially right in the thickest part of the tread. This one had nothing. I put a plug in it and I am prepping for the usual resistance and ram it all the way into the tire flush with the tread.

Well...I didn't like the thought of all the plug swinging around in the tire--especially with no resistance and possibly pulling itself out so I got another plug and pushed the first one into the tire with the install tool. I have some really thick truck plugs. Put rubber cement on it and gently push it in. This tire must be made of toilet paper it goes in so easy.

Get it finished and it holds air. Wife is upset because of 2 flats in 3,000 miles. I was a mechanic for 20 years, we have lived 1.5 miles down a dirt road for 23 years so I have had my battles with tires. I have had 1 set of tires that were this soft and I cut one thru the tread the first week I had them and got rid of them.

My road is in the best shape it has ever been out here--county put down SB2 in all the rough spots so rock cut tires have reduced to nil lately. I just can't see me dealing with the Contis if they are this soft. Sorry for the long rant--I'm just frustrated right now at the thought of replacing all the tires with this few miles on them.
My Mav was delivered with Falken wildPeaks
Still good at 29600 and no flats

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why overpay for tires? Les Schwab is a rip off. Price check the Wildpeaks from Discount and you'll see they are about $400 cheaper and a much better tire.

Go in to LS, ask for a quote, get the print out, come home and check on Discounts website. If you are military, there is another discount. If you put them on a Discount (synchrony) card, there is another discount.
After reading several tire threads on this forum ended up going with: Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 235/65 r17s

Great tires and great service from DT!

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

My new Falkens!

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...falken-wildpeak-a-t3w-tires-235-65-r17.36964/
Sponsored