First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i agree maverick>any Subaru being built in the us. Even the wildtrack isnt as good and that can run up to 40k. Maverick checks every boxes for daily driving and the use of truck bed which is a lot for your average person.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I did not realize this is where these folks ended up. Glad I stopped by the forum tonight while this thread was bumped to the top

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree. I don't want politics in any form mixed with stuff about automobiles. I damn sure don't want to be lectured by some snotty nose kid. Jalopnik drank the same kool-aid that ESPN did.... Heres to hoping it was grape and good riddance.
Btw, love our 2022 Hybrid Lariat Lux so much that we ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange one...

Last edited:

Sponsored

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
*Shakes fist at sky*

anyway... not a bad review but really preaching to the choir for this forum :)

Last edited:

Cattleman 7760

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500HD, Buick Encore, 2023 Maverick ordered!
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are the wheels shown on the Maverick in this article a Ford offering?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are the wheels shown on the Maverick in this article a Ford offering?
Yes. Those are the optional wheels for EcoBoost AWD with either 4k Tow or Fx4. XLT or Lariat trim in the US, XL in Canada also gets to spec them too. Same pattern is used on the Tremor, just painted differently.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree. I don't want politics in any form mixed with stuff about automobiles. I damn sure don't want to be lectured my some snotty nose kid. Jalopnil drank the ESPN kool-aide.
Btw, love our 2022 Hybrid Lariat Lux so much that we ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange one...
Jalopnik and the entire portfolio from g/o media is garbage.

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Couldn't have said it any better. I'm in a similar situation since my mom has a Subaru of her own that is also not as good as the Maverick. She has a Crosstrek that is a decent car overall but there are many things that she doesn't like about it. For one, the lack of advanced safety features that my Maverick has such as rear-cross traffic alert, parking sensors, blind-spot monitoring, and a bigger infotainment system. Also, there's a lack of creature comforts such as a simple fold-down armrest in the back seat and no rear a/c vents. Lastly, she's not too fond of the way it drives. It idles rough in the morning, the auto stop-start is atrocious, there's a lot of wind/tire noise, the CVT is laggy, and there's rattles throughout the interior which is a surprise given that it's a Japanese built car and I would expect better build quality.

Once I brought home the Maverick, she fell in love with it. The way it looks, the way it drives, and the abundance of features. If she had known about it sooner, she would've put in an order of her own. However, with the severity of the chip shortage and lack of inventory, that's just not in the cards right now. However, to amend her frustration with the Subaru, my dad and I ordered her an equivalent Bronco Sport Outer Banks that we can surprise her with once it comes in. I don't expect to see it anytime soon but I'm hoping it'll at least be within the next half year. This is another vehicle that she fell in love with once she saw it and won't stop talking about it. The added benefit is that it's based off the same platform as the Maverick and Escape so it'll drive just like it and have just as many, if not more, features than my Maverick to keep her happy.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In short - every vehicle is a compromise and the Maverick (or the Forester) is no different.

shocontinental

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve been driving a 2020 Outback for a few months and while it’s fantastic as a largeish new car, especially compared to my old 2003 taurus daily. It’s terrible in that it gets ~26mpg (same as the 20y/o Taurus) with mostly highway use, start/stop is annoying as it lurches back to life and doesn’t save any meaningful amount of gas. Even with no one in the back seat and no cargo the rear suspension feels overloaded and bounces over bumps. Intelligent access is cool, but I really want keyless entry to be able to lock my keys in the car at the beach or water park.

I do love the adaptive cruise control, and would definitely spec it on a 23 if my 22 hadn’t finally been scheduled at the last minute. I sit in so much stop and go freeway traffic it’s nice to just flip on cruise control and let it drive for me.

Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I have an interesting perspective on this, the wife has a 2020 Forester and I have an AWD Ecoboost Mav.

1. I wouldn't say its that much more efficient for the EB anyways, maybe 15%. Hell, in city driving my mav averages about 25.5 mpg and 31 highway where as her Sub gets 24 city and I've gotten up to 33mpg on road trips, it evens out.

2. I could be cheaper, all in on the forester fully specked out and it was 32K and some change. I got the XLT AWD Ecoboost with the Lux Package which totaled out to 30k and some change. After the dumb dealer fee's that I couldn't negotiate out of I ended up paying 34K where as with Subaru the all in price was the all in price.

3. The Maverick is for useful for hauling, that is a fact but the Sub is no slouch, we have made at least two Ikea trips in it and brought back plenty of stuff, it rained one of those trips and we didn't need to worry about anything getting wet. As far as people goes, the rear seat leg room of the maverick is a lot less than the forester, sure the authors daughter fits fine back there now but in five years it will be a tighter squeeze.

4. My maverick does have more features than the forester but I had to get the lux package for some of the things that came standard on the forester, like body color heated mirrors, power adjustable seats (the maverick only offers this to the driver), and all wheel drive just to name a few.

5. Because its been nearly a drought here in Louisiana all summer I've only driven the Mav in the rain once and it handled well. The subaru also handles well in the rain but because its an SUV and fairly light the wind blows it around on the road some which I don't think the maverick will have as much of an issue with.

6. The Maverick is hands down cooler than the Forester. This is the first car I've purchased where I made enough money to get what I wanted, my last car was a Nissan Versa which I got because I wanted a hatchback and power windows and doors, it was the one I could afford and was missing a lot of features I would have liked to have (like horsepower for example). I still feel like I got a good value for the Maverick even after the dealer tacked on fee's that raised the price nearly 3K, they tinted the windows, put a stupid looking ford pinstripe, and nitro in the tires for that price. The muted green color the article author mentioned is the color we have, it looks really nice in our opinion, especially when the sun hits it just right. It also makes it very hard to see when the car is dirty, which is nice. Alto blue on the Mav shows every speck of dust.

My personal takes:
1. The road noise in the Subaru is really bad, its like they put no sound proofing in it at all. Driving 75 down the interstate and you have to raise your voice a bit to talk over the noise. The maverick doesn't have that problem.
2. Both cars are peppy when you get on the accelerator and you have no issues passing or getting up to speed but the Maverick is just more fun to drive in every way. It has more acceleration, you can hear the turbo roar, and the handling seems tighter (with the exception of body roll on the mav).
3. While not bad, the interior of the maverick doesn't compare to the subaru. The Forester is hands down more comfortable to sit in and drive around in, unless we have a need for a truck I don't see any road trips happening in the maverick over the forester. While we are inside, lets talk quality, the subaru interior feels well put together and like it will last, the maverick is plastic everything that is all clipped together, it feels very cheap and I fully expect everything to have a rattle in 5 years or just be falling off altogether.
4. Small nitpickey thing, ford put the oil filter under a skidpad under the truck, so to change the oil it has to be removed and you reach up to change the filter. The Forester you pop the hood and it is right there in the front right on a little pedestal where you can change it out, great engineering IMO.

I'm sure there is more but that is all I can think of at the moment.

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Subarus generally have good reliability, until 100k miles and then a lot have expensive engine repair issues. We tend to keep our vehicles until they die so didn't want to buy a Subaru knowing we would end up selling it at 80k miles to get out before the engine issues.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I have an interesting perspective on this, the wife has a 2020 Forester and I have an AWD Ecoboost Mav.

1. I wouldn't say its that much more efficient for the EB anyways, maybe 15%. Hell, in city driving my mav averages about 25.5 mpg and 31 highway where as her Sub gets 24 city and I've gotten up to 33mpg on road trips, it evens out.

2. I could be cheaper, all in on the forester fully specked out and it was 32K and some change. I got the XLT AWD Ecoboost with the Lux Package which totaled out to 30k and some change. After the dumb dealer fee's that I couldn't negotiate out of I ended up paying 34K where as with Subaru the all in price was the all in price.

3. The Maverick is for useful for hauling, that is a fact but the Sub is no slouch, we have made at least two Ikea trips in it and brought back plenty of stuff, it rained one of those trips and we didn't need to worry about anything getting wet. As far as people goes, the rear seat leg room of the maverick is a lot less than the forester, sure the authors daughter fits fine back there now but in five years it will be a tighter squeeze.

4. My maverick does have more features than the forester but I had to get the lux package for some of the things that came standard on the forester, like body color heated mirrors, power adjustable seats (the maverick only offers this to the driver), and all wheel drive just to name a few.

5. Because its been nearly a drought here in Louisiana all summer I've only driven the Mav in the rain once and it handled well. The subaru also handles well in the rain but because its an SUV and fairly light the wind blows it around on the road some which I don't think the maverick will have as much of an issue with.

6. The Maverick is hands down cooler than the Forester. This is the first car I've purchased where I made enough money to get what I wanted, my last car was a Nissan Versa which I got because I wanted a hatchback and power windows and doors, it was the one I could afford and was missing a lot of features I would have liked to have (like horsepower for example). I still feel like I got a good value for the Maverick even after the dealer tacked on fee's that raised the price nearly 3K, they tinted the windows, put a stupid looking ford pinstripe, and nitro in the tires for that price. The muted green color the article author mentioned is the color we have, it looks really nice in our opinion, especially when the sun hits it just right. It also makes it very hard to see when the car is dirty, which is nice. Alto blue on the Mav shows every speck of dust.

My personal takes:
1. The road noise in the Subaru is really bad, its like they put no sound proofing in it at all. Driving 75 down the interstate and you have to raise your voice a bit to talk over the noise. The maverick doesn't have that problem.
2. Both cars are peppy when you get on the accelerator and you have no issues passing or getting up to speed but the Maverick is just more fun to drive in every way. It has more acceleration, you can hear the turbo roar, and the handling seems tighter (with the exception of body roll on the mav).
3. While not bad, the interior of the maverick doesn't compare to the subaru. The Forester is hands down more comfortable to sit in and drive around in, unless we have a need for a truck I don't see any road trips happening in the maverick over the forester. While we are inside, lets talk quality, the subaru interior feels well put together and like it will last, the maverick is plastic everything that is all clipped together, it feels very cheap and I fully expect everything to have a rattle in 5 years or just be falling off altogether.
4. Small nitpickey thing, ford put the oil filter under a skidpad under the truck, so to change the oil it has to be removed and you reach up to change the filter. The Forester you pop the hood and it is right there in the front right on a little pedestal where you can change it out, great engineering IMO.

I'm sure there is more but that is all I can think of at the moment.
Great and thoughtful write up. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored