Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

On Monday my dealer emailed that they have a Maverick demo I could test drive, so I went by this afternoon. It was an Alto Blue Ecoboost Lariat with the FX4 package. It was an order a customer decided not to buy, so instead of selling it they kept it as a demo for customers to look at and test drive. I literally thought it was black from a distance but the blue was obvious from close up, especially where the sun reflected off the paint. Cool color but too dark for me.

The truck looked a little smaller than I expected, but that made the roominess of the interior seem very impressive. I really don't mind the blue dash. It looks fine with the brown seats of the Lariat. The color combo looks good with the alto blue exterior color. Overall, the Lariat interior is nice but it definitely doesn't give a "luxury car" impression. That's aok with me. It's an inexpensive vehicle.

I found the driver's seat to be quite comfortable and easily adjustable with the power seat. After adjusting for my dimensions (I'm 5' 10" with longer legs than most people my height) I had ample leg room in the back. I found the back seats less comfy than in front, mostly the more upright angle but also somewhat thinner padding. Overall about what I expected, though.

In person the bed looked deeper than what I had interpreted from pictures, which is a good thing. This one didn't have any liner. I definitely will be adding a spray in bed liner and tonneau cover to mine.

I found the Maverick easy to drive and fairly similar in feel to a compact crossover. The ride overall was smooth but the rear suspension was a little more abrupt over some bumps than I expected. It wasn't bad at all, but my expectations had been raised by some of the very positive reviews of the ride I've read. I suppose it would make sense that the FX4 package is a little stiffer.

I guess that's about it. The dial shifter will take some getting used to. I reached for a lever that wasn't there when parking. :)
Sponsored

thallman1125

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Five Star Ford in Lewisville had the same exact build. That’s the one I test drove before ordering. Great color, but as it started to get dark, the color looked black.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ride overall was smooth but the rear suspension was a little more abrupt over some bumps than I expected. It wasn't bad at all, but my expectations had been raised by some of the very positive reviews of the ride I've read. I suppose it would make sense that the FX4 package is a little stiffer.
FWD models that have half the tow limits may be sprung more softly in the back, we'll have to see.

And that may become a popular modification are some inexpensive aftermarket softer rear springs for the AWD versions along with some helper bags that can be inflated as needed when hauling unusually heavy loads in the bed to prevent sag. That way you have a light spring when you don't need it and a heavy spring when you do.

OP
OP
JBnorthTX

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FWD models that have half the tow limits may be sprung more softly in the back, we'll have to see.

And that may become a popular modification are some inexpensive aftermarket softer rear springs for the AWD versions along with some helper bags that can be inflated as needed when hauling unusually heavy loads in the bed to prevent sag. That way you have a light spring when you don't need it and a heavy spring when you do.
I seem to recall a review from someone who drove both and was expecting a better ride from the independent rear suspension of the 4WD, but he thought the FWD actually rode more smoothly.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I seem to recall a review from someone who drove both and was expecting a better ride from the independent rear suspension of the 4WD, but he thought the FWD actually rode more smoothly.
the 2wd models have those special force vectoring springs from the fiesta right? The suspensions that used those were always reviewed really well.

OP
OP
JBnorthTX

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

the 2wd models have those special force vectoring springs from the fiesta right? The suspensions that used those were always reviewed really well.
That sounds familiar. Pretty sure I did read that somewhere.
Sponsored