test drive oddities

Dabbadoo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Mariner
Let me start by saying I'm with you all in that I love this truck, but I really feel like one should test drive any car to really tell if it's right for you. So, drove an XLT and noticed a few things that have me wondering about the quality and durability. 1st, (as someone else mentioned previously) the interior door handle gives a bit if you pull on it. How will this hold up over time? 2nd, it had an acoustic windshield installed (which the website says is not available on an XLT). Why was that necessary? And 3rd, at speeds over 50mph, the edge of the hood (btwn the hood & windshield) in the center was vibrating / bouncing up/down about 1/2 inch from ... wind drag? It was as if the metal was too thin to support it. It wasn't the road, it wasn't a windy day and the hood was fully secured. Would really like to know if anyone else has noticed this or (hopefully) my experience was for whatever reason unique. Understandably corners were cut to keep the price down but at what costs? Even with that said am still keeping my reservation for cactus gray hybrid with lux pkg & moonroof.
Sponsored

Bret Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let me start by saying I'm with you all in that I love this truck, but I really feel like one should test drive any car to really tell if it's right for you. So, drove an XLT and noticed a few things that have me wondering about the quality and durability. 1st, (as someone else mentioned previously) the interior door handle gives a bit if you pull on it. How will this hold up over time? 2nd, it had an acoustic windshield installed (which the website says is not available on an XLT). Why was that necessary? And 3rd, at speeds over 50mph, the edge of the hood (btwn the hood & windshield) in the center was vibrating / bouncing up/down about 1/2 inch from ... wind drag? It was as if the metal was too thin to support it. It wasn't the road, it wasn't a windy day and the hood was fully secured. Would really like to know if anyone else has noticed this or (hopefully) my experience was for whatever reason unique. Understandably corners were cut to keep the price down but at what costs? Even with that said am still keeping my reservation for cactus gray hybrid with lux pkg & moonroof.
Things that make you go-Hmnnnnn.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Still waiting to test drive/test fit, so I can't comment, other than to address the hood issue.....if it's the front edge of the hood vibrating, and not the center sheet metal, then that's an easy adjustment issue. The latch isn't pulling the hood down snug with the rubber stoppers.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did nice long test drive of Eco XLT AWD w/FX-4 last Thursday. Had it past 70 MPH in some canyon roads as well as on hiway and specifically looked for that hood vibration and there was none detectable. Had salesperson with me and we looked for it but... a little tiny bit at rear corner closest to fender but it was nothing obvious or continuous- just random a couple times. Never noticed any give on interior door handle. Did you pull on it while sitting inside with door closed to experience this? I never deliberately tugged at it when seated inside and door latched shut- can't think of any reason I would need to do that? I heard a little road noise and asked if Mav had the acoustic windshield, but only got shrugged shoulders response. It sounded like agressive tread tire noise to me, so we lowered windows and confirmed that was it and attributed to wheels on FX-4 package. I'm getting an XL with steelies with stock street tires, so not an issue for me.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Still waiting to test drive/test fit, so I can't comment, other than to address the hood issue.....if it's the front edge of the hood vibrating, and not the center sheet metal, then that's an easy adjustment issue. The latch isn't pulling the hood down snug with the rubber stoppers.
just FYI, hood release inside needs to be pulled 2x (printed right on handle!) to fully open latch. Maybe someone tugged once and partially opened a hood and made it flutter a little? Just guessing that could be it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dabbadoo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Mariner
It was the back of the hood (between the hinges). But it appears someone checked for the during his test drive and all was good. Glad to hear that.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Interesting comment about an acoustic windshield on an XLT. Can those who actually now have a non-Lariat let us know if they got an acoustic windshield on their XL or XLT?

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hood flutter has been talked about by someone else on a test drive. Sometimes rubber stoppers can be adjusted to put an end to it, other times it might require a kit of some kind.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
Regarding the acoustic windshield, there was a debate about this on another thread. All of Ford's windshields are "laminated" but only the Lariat is acoustic and laminated. Someone did a test drive back to back and confirmed the Lariat was quieter. However, I believe someone also looked up on fords part website and all three windshields had the same part number... so the debate rages on.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really feel like one should test drive any car to really tell if it's right for you.
My Maverick-to-be is the 3rd new car I've ordered without a test drive, and I think you are more sensible than I am!

The car I borrow from my wife while I wait for my XL Hybrid is a Toyota RAV4, also a hybrid. I am very happy with ours, however multiple owners on the RAV4 forums for the 2019-2021 model have complained about fluttering hoods, mirrors that vibrate on the doors, and so forth.

I think that all manufacturers are looking for ways to reduce weight. I hope they haven't gone too far!

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
just FYI, hood release inside needs to be pulled 2x (printed right on handle!) to fully open latch. Maybe someone tugged once and partially opened a hood and made it flutter a little? Just guessing that could be it.
That's a really odd feature and you might be right. Otherwise hopefully it's something easily adjusted. Anyone feel like posting a pic of the latch mechanism?

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BMW has been doing the double pull good thing for years and I hate it. They fixed something that didn't need to be fixed. And if you have an issue with it, you have to remove the front wheel liners, fish for the cable, and manually pull it.

In all of my years of owning junk vehicles, I've never had a problem opening any other hood.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It will open the hood on a single pull. It just doesn’t release the safety latch. The second pull does that. If you prefer pull ones snd get it and reach the hood and the safety latch yourself.

rupzuk

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, GMC, Harley
Test drove a Lariat yesterday.
had it at a passing speed for a short moment, so around 120 km +/-.
the hood didn’t move that I noticed.
the door handles/ pulls/ armrest were a spot of concern prior to the test drive as they looked different and not comfortable in pictures.
they exceeded my expectations and are perfect ergonomics for me, I never noticed anything with them to cause concern and felt robust To me.
the Maverick I drove had had fairly healthy all terrain tires on it and had not been undercoated yet so it did have road noise but was much quieter than my Renegade on winters.
no idea what an acoustic windshield is but if it helps with noise or rock chips, great.
As for safety all windshields are a structural safety component nowadays and I highly doubt Ford is using it for safety purposes, cutting down on noise would make more sense.

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Took delivery of my 2.0 awd xlt fe4 and drove home at highway speeds for over an hour and no hood flutter.
Sponsored