Sponsored

Temp. neutral mode - transmission and Buc-ees car wash - is this working for you?

IslaDelDan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 & 2019 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Washed the salt and grime of 700 miles off yesterday at Buc-ees in Lake Jackson, TX. Yes - I used a car wash but Buc-ees are pretty good. I drove through the car wash with the Mav. When I switched it to N on the selector a note came up to push the L button in the center of the selector (p185 in the manual). Truck stayed running, went through the wash in rolling neutral mode. The N indicator on the selector did flash some as it notes on p185. When finished with the wash I tapped the brake (exits temp. N mode) - put selector in D and off we went to family Christmas.

Seems like a success. What are your experiences?
Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Washed the salt and grime of 700 miles off yesterday at Buc-ees in Lake Jackson, TX. Yes - I used a car wash but Buc-ees are pretty good. I drove through the car wash with the Mav. When I switched it to N on the selector a note came up to push the L button in the center of the selector (p185 in the manual). Truck stayed running, went through the wash in rolling neutral mode. The N indicator on the selector did flash some as it notes on p185. When finished with the wash I tapped the brake (exits temp. N mode) - put selector in D and off we went to family Christmas.

I've been going through the manual and did see the part of push the L. I don't understand this. Since I don't have a truck yet I can only go by pictures. So I'm at the car wash. I press the brake, move dial to N then move dial to L? Can you explain it exactly if I am wrong?

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The "L" is a button in the center of the dial to push.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I press the brake, move dial to N then move dial to L?
No, you don't "move dial to L" - you push the L button with the dial still set to N.

Ford Maverick Temp. neutral mode - transmission and Buc-ees car wash - is this working for you? t1

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, you don't "move dial to L" - you push the L button with the dial still set to N.

t1.jpg
Got it. Thank you. Then when you are finished with the carwash, just press the brake and move to D? you dont have to answer if it is yes.

Sponsored

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The manual (p185) says that the temporary neutral is so you can shut the engine off. Do you have to use it, say at a car wash, if you just leave the engine running and are being dragged/pushed through the car wash? I guess the hybrid engine would shut off, but wouldn't it still roll through just in neutral with the car on and in ready state?

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been using the car wash just like any vehicle I’ve ever had - pull in until they say neutral, put in neutral and at the end select drive, etc. no problems… been more than a dozen times (non-lux xlt / awd-fx4 / ecoboost)

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I'ved used before with no issues at the car wash.

You can do the car wash without setting it into temp. neutral mode but I wouldn't suggest doing so. You'll have to make sure you leave the truck running and hope it doesn't inadvertently stall out during the wash. If you want to leave the truck off but keep it in auxillerary mode (power on but key off) and ride or not ride at the same time in the vehicle while it is getting washed you'll definitely need to use the temp. neutral mode.

It is documented in the manual but the reason for temporary neutral mode is the transmission will automatically revert to park when the engine is not running or when the engine is running and there is no one sitting in the driver's seat.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The manual (p185) says that the temporary neutral is so you can shut the engine off. Do you have to use it, say at a car wash, if you just leave the engine running and are being dragged/pushed through the car wash? I guess the hybrid engine would shut off, but wouldn't it still roll through just in neutral with the car on and in ready state?
No it won't when the key / push button is off but power on to the dash, by default the transmission reverts to park unless you put it in temp. neutral mode.

Last edited:

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I miss the days of not needing a manual.

Sponsored