Sponsored

TELL ME HOW WRONG I AM… Buy Santa Cruz and sell when my Maverick arrives?

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, that sounds awfully close. I’ll know more tomorrow when I finalize the numbers with the dealer. I’ll also find out how much I’ll have to drop on my current car for all the maintenance. I’m guessing it’ll be in the range of $2500. Could be more but hopefully less. This is money I’m dumping into this car only because my Mav won’t be delivered until June at the earliest. I could get the Sc as early as next weekend and sell the Mini to Carvana, CarMax, etc, then as well without have to spend money on maintenance.

I’d definitely take a loss on the resale of the SC. The major question is would the loss exceed the amount I have to put into the Mini and the depreciation between now and the time the Mav arrives. (Part of this is unpredictable, as the market could take a major swing and I might end up losing more than that.) It’d definitely be a gamble though.
since you have concerns about the maintenance on current vechicle, absolutely understandable, I would instead talk to the dealer you went thru for your Mav and see if they have any short term leases on a 2019/2020 vehicle. You might be able to swing a deal with them to lease something for a reasonable price while waiting for your mav to be produced. They'd understand the predicament you are in but...don't sound desperate! They can smell blood in the water.
Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
one reason that Hyundais in general depreciate more is because you pay big bucks baked into the price for that 10 year 100K mile warranty, after all something similar will run you another $2K at least on the Maverick. But that's only for the first owner and isn't a transferable warranty, so people are more inclined to buy a brand new SC over a 1 year old one,
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the Ford Protect extended warranties aren't transferrable, or that the Hyundai warranty isn't transferrable?

(I thought the Ford Protect was fully transferrable, and that the Hyundai warranty was transferrable but got shortened to 5 years/60k miles for the subsequent owner. I can see that someone would be skeptical about buying a 1-year-old Hyundai if they are only going to have 4 years of warranty left.)

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How often have you encountered a warranty that really covers the cost of fixing a problem? My experience is there's always some fine print that leaves the owner having to pay the bill. I once owned a Toyota Celica. When it blew a head gasket, the warranty covered the gasket, but not the labor to replace it. Now tell me a story where your warranty covered everything on a expensive repair.

xSWMIx

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Santa Cruz is one ugly bi@#*. It looks like a pouffy styled vainglorious hunk of Doller General crap. At least the Mav kinda looks truckish.
Whilst I tend to agree, it's important to note that the SC is actually available. Also, the Mav is the more cheaply DG built of the two...

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the Ford Protect extended warranties aren't transferrable, or that the Hyundai warranty isn't transferrable?
I'm saying part of the reason Hyundai SC is more expensive is it has such an expensive warranty baked in, but you lose half of it as the second owner. So Hyundais depreciate more compared to new than other 1 year old vehicles. I like the SC, but if I was going to flip a vehicle after a year, I'd pick up a Ridgeline instead as I think its more likely to retain high value.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, that sounds awfully close. I’ll know more tomorrow when I finalize the numbers with the dealer. I’ll also find out how much I’ll have to drop on my current car for all the maintenance. I’m guessing it’ll be in the range of $2500. Could be more but hopefully less. This is money I’m dumping into this car only because my Mav won’t be delivered until June at the earliest. I could get the Sc as early as next weekend and sell the Mini to Carvana, CarMax, etc, then as well without have to spend money on maintenance.

I’d definitely take a loss on the resale of the SC. The major question is would the loss exceed the amount I have to put into the Mini and the depreciation between now and the time the Mav arrives. (Part of this is unpredictable, as the market could take a major swing and I might end up losing more than that.) It’d definitely be a gamble though.
How much is your time worth? Buy SC for "temporary" use vehicle, sell same SC, then buy again = 3 transactions to get 1 keeper vehicle?

Also, have you gotten insurance quotes on the SC, and the Maverick? You may end up paying a lot more on the SC than the Mini or the Maverick and is another $ consideration in addition to all the buying and selling taxes, depreciation and potential $ losses.

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
I'm saying part of the reason Hyundai SC is more expensive is it has such an expensive warranty baked in, but you lose half of it as the second owner. So Hyundais depreciate more compared to new than other 1 year old vehicles. I like the SC, but if I was going to flip a vehicle after a year, I'd pick up a Ridgeline instead as I think its more likely to retain high value.
I was going to same the same except for the Ridgeline part. Tacomas retain value the best when it comes to trucks, so I'd get that.

Scooter

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Carbon Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am sort of in the same boat. My Mitzubishi Lancer has 200,000 miles and needs a brake job. I am not putting another penny into that old girl. I ordered my Mav and build date is end of Feb. Luckily my local dealer is also one of the largest used dealers in the area that also has a buy here , pay here. If my Mitzubishi dies before the Mav comes in, I might try and do a month to month lease, just to get me to my new ride.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am a Ford only driver the Maverick will be my 10th Ford. I've had plenty of cars and 2 trucks. I like the look of the Maverick because it looks more like a traditional truck. But Santa Cruz looks like a car to me. That said I am conflicted because I think the Maverick should have been called Ranchero. But the Santa Cruz looks more like the Ranchero which I don't want the Maverick to look like a car. Needless to say it's whatever you like in the end. Would hate to lose a Ford person.

OP
OP
sseiler

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Ok, so THANK YOU for all of your wonderful feedback! It’s been tremendously helpful for getting me through my fever dream. After driving the SC turbo, finding a Limited at MSRP, and being repeatedly passed by for a build date, I just about jumped ship - or more like almost took a dive off the deep end.

I decided to follow most of your advice - fix my current car and drive it until the Mav comes in. Found a place that works on Minis that’ll do everything needed for less than half. All-in, assuming they find no other issues, I’ll be out $1100. Sucks, but this is the least expensive route to my Mav.

As for the SC, there is just no way I could handle the mpg. Additionally, I didn’t consider the taxes and fees or the possibility to the market for used cars cooling. Yeah, buying the SC just to trade it in when the Mav arrives isn’t a great idea. Considering taxes and fees, I’d realistically probably be out upwards of $6k- $7k even if the SC was at MSRP.

Although I made my decision to fix up my car and just wait for the Mav, the Hyundai dealer called yesterday morning, so I thought I’d see what kind of deal she could pull off. You might find this amusing - or maybe just predictable….

So, $789 “admin” fee and $95 title/registration fee, fine. MSRP was $41,540. She said she’d prepare an itemized estimate and text it to me. You ready for this… (Y’all obviously know where this is going)….

Ford Maverick TELL ME HOW WRONG I AM… Buy Santa Cruz and sell when my Maverick arrives? E756B718-435C-46CC-8132-1D78AE2F2056

Yep, nearly $10k increase… via text. We talked on Saturday, but no mention of the nearly $10k increase. We talked Monday, but no mention of the increase. She added that as a btw in a text! 😂😂😂

Ford Maverick TELL ME HOW WRONG I AM… Buy Santa Cruz and sell when my Maverick arrives? 1643168989952

(What appears to be a pic of a table is the bottom part of the pic with the estimate she sent.)

Nobody saw that coming, did they? 😂😂😂 Yeah, that’s🦇💩crazy. Yeah, many of you called it! I’m not surprised it was “market adjusted” but by $10k in a freakin’ text?!?😂😂😂

Anyway, thanks for helping me through that fever dream! Must’ve been that dang MAVID-22… had all the classic symptom. Irritability, frustration (w/ Ford), increased blood pressure (after be passed up again for a build date), hopelessness (in the possibility of getting a build date), sudden sense of euphoria (when driving a sweet and AVAILABLE 281 HP ride)… Glad that dang fever broke. 😂😂😂

… back to waiting for that f’ing build date now. 😫

Last edited:
Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Damn. That's ridiculous. Good for you for making the financially smart decision. Let someone else be the sucker that's born every minute.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a call this week from a local dealer where I'd checked on Mavericks before ordering from a different dealer. He called to say they had just received a hybrid XL and it was available for sale. Upon further inquiry I learned they had tacked on a $5k "Market Adjustment Fee." I had to say thanks, but no thanks. I'd heard of this happening elsewhere but now I have personal experience. Let some other sucker pay an inflated price. I'll wait for my original order.

DJF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just curious what you thought of the test drive.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy the Santa Cruz if you can afford it. It's built like a tank but you pay more. You get what you pay for with the Maverick. The only reason I ordered the hybrid Maverick is the fuel economy. It's ok at this price point but didn't blow me away when I test drove.
Different driver experience here. I was impressed with how a fwd hybrid Maverick drove. It had a smooth and quiet ride, yet still had that "truck" feel to it. Road handling was very good, too. Now, I admit I haven't driven the SC, but I do have a Palisade and that particular Hyundai is an outstanding road car. Perhaps it's the same on the SC.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
So, I test drove the Santa Cruz 2.5, and it’s pretty dang cool. I’m thinking about buying it (at MSRP) and then selling it once my Mav is delivered.

I have a first edition Lariat hybrid ordered. (Ordered 9/5; no build date yet).

The wait and the Ford allocation system has grown old, which y’all understand. The main issue is that my current car is growing older for every day I have to wait on my Mav to be delivered. My Mini is about to need break pads, rotors, alignment, etc. Basically, I’m at that point where I either drop a couple thousand into my Mini or I sell it. (And, yes, maintenance on Mini Countryman is crazy expensive… which is why I won’t own another one.) If I sell, I need a replacement. We have to be a two-car family.

Anyway, given the market, I’m thinking about buying a Santa Cruz 2.5 Limited. When my Mav is eventually built, I’ll sell the Santa Cruz. Assuming my Mav might be built and delivered by, let’s say, August (hopefully at the latest), I wouldn’t have over a few thousand miles on it. I could still sell it for close to the price I paid for it.

I’ll lose a couple thousand either way: I’ll either drop the cash to maintain my current car or I’ll possibly lose money by buying and then selling the Santa Cruz a few months later.

ok, let me have it…. How screwed up is this strategy? And why? Would I be losing more money than I think if I buy-sell the SC?

Alright, go for it… 🎯
I did it...Bought a Santa Cruz SE FWD....When my Lariat Hybrid finally gets built I might sell the SC...I'm sure it's worth more than I owe or even paid for it...
What sold me to buy it as it felt a lot more refined (Interior and Driver experience) than the XLT AWD I demoed
But...The Hybrid part intrigues me :) 40mpg yea...! I'm avg'ing on my daily 14-mile city commute in the SC 23-24Mpg. So 40mpg would be fantastic
Even tho the SC is just the 2.5 non-turbo...it's still fast and zippy...very agile

So far the Lariat had a 1/31 build week..pushed to 2/14 and now 2/21 So who knows..
Sponsored