Sponsored

Tailgate assist install help! How to tighten the Allen bolt on the lower plate?

tcw8848

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to tighten the Allen bolt on the lower plate (on tailgate). It just spins or falls out. I have zero patience for this kind of thing (mostly because I’m not very handy). How do I do this? Any help appreciated!
Sponsored

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
From what I saw on the install video, you need to be putting some pulling pressure while you tighten it. If there is no pressure then it will just spin.

Reactions: Dad

testa422

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to tighten the Allen bolt on the lower plate (on tailgate). It just spins or falls out. I have zero patience for this kind of thing (mostly because I’m not very handy). How do I do this? Any help appreciated!
Pull the bracket toward you while screwing it in away from you. Very counterintuitive

OP
OP
tcw8848

tcw8848

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pull the bracket toward you while screwing it in away from you. Very counterintuitive
I’m trying but I’m not sure how to pull on that and tighten at same time. It still flips or falls. And no YouTube videos actually show it, they just skip to the next part.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Superglue and/or duck tape

Sponsored

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Use a vice or a pair of pliers and tighten the nut most of the way leaving just enough to put nut through hole. Rotate 90° and tighten pulling out slightly. It will tighten easily. 😊

OP
OP
tcw8848

tcw8848

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got it folks. Thanks everyone. I think the locktite they put on the bolt was the main culprit for turning a five minute job into a 45 minute job. Sometimes I think manufacturers just like to make us angry during installation.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
I guess they can't sell you a tiny strut and a couple of metal plates for $50 if they installed some soft open hinges on the factory line. Ford really needs to update their tailgate design. It's one area where the Santa Cruz is pretty impressive.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I struggled with that as well. I removed the blue thread glue or whatever its called to ease the problem of trying to tighten the bolt while pulling the plate out. It helped considerably. I then used the rounded knob to pull on the plate to pressure it against the tailgate hole.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got it folks. Thanks everyone. I think the locktite they put on the bolt was the main culprit for turning a five minute job into a 45 minute job. Sometimes I think manufacturers just like to make us angry during installation.
Same problem here. Once I removed the blue locktite everything went much more smoothly.

Sponsored

PebbleMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes.. I put that special nut in a vice and ran the bolt through it a couple times to reduce the amount of blue thread glue. Then used a screwdriver-style hex driver until the nut pulled tight into the tailgate slot.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dropped the nut inside the tailgate. Ask me if that lengthened install time. I had to get a thick washer, file it to slip through the hole, use double stick tape so it didn't spin and then tighten it up. Don't ask how it dropped (drill was on unscrew). Love the assist.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I dropped the nut inside the tailgate. Ask me if that lengthened install time. I had to get a thick washer, file it to slip through the hole, use double stick tape so it didn't spin and then tighten it up. Don't ask how it dropped (drill was on unscrew). Love the assist.
I've NEVER had anything like that happen to me! (Did the sarcasm come through?) I lived in fear during the entire install that would happen. Your hack fix sounds like a better install anyway. Agreed, the dampener makes the tailgate so much easier to use. Now if I can just find a tie down that doesn't get in the way.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I cut the bottle opener in half and screwed it back on. Out of the way and useful as a tie down. Might not be as strong, but I don't see a big load there.

Ford Maverick Tailgate assist install help! How to tighten the Allen bolt on the lower plate? PXL_20220206_221537910.MP