First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Shelby
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Ford Maverick assist is built by DeeZee, which sells directly on Amazon. The DeeZee labeling was in one of the pics by the author of this thread.

Anyone know the DeeZee part number that works on the Maverick?

SBB
Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
[/QUOTE]
Note that Installation (step 8) requires the removal of the left tailgate tie-down. They call it the "bottle opener" but is mainly a tie-down that includes the bottle opener feature.

I don't want to lose the tie down so I am installing these:

CrocSee 4 Pack Truck Bed Tie Down Anchors Trailer Cargo Hooks Bolt on D Rings V Rings Heavy Duty

CrocSee Bed Tie Down Anchor
Great $12 solution to losing the tie down

OP
OP
oreomuffin

oreomuffin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CaptainK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Video and install by @oreomuffin

This is the official Ford Accessory Tailgate Assist - Hydraulic :

ford maverick tailgate assist hydraulic struts 4.jpg
ford maverick tailgate assist hydraulic struts 3.jpg
ford maverick tailgate assist hydraulic struts 2.jpg
ford maverick tailgate assist hydraulic struts 1.png

Update - the bed mat you see in the photo are actually two pieces of this exercise mat taped together with butyl tape.

https://www.menards.com/main/floori...6584011607.htm?tid=2735983253595367499&ipos=6

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist hydraulic struts & custom bed mat on 2022 Maverick [video] 7655091

You're a gem, @JVolpe Thanks for reposting this.

It seems like most questions have been answered. Happy to do any followup.

Sponsored

Mavhead

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan versa
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Video and install by @oreomuffin

This is the official Ford Accessory Tailgate Assist - Hydraulic :

Update - the bed mat you see in the photo are actually two pieces of this exercise mat taped together with butyl tape.

When your exercise mat goes bad, you might check out getting some stall mats for horses that you could buy from tractor supply. They are a little bit more heavy duty.

Definitely going to get that closer for my truck tailgate.

HybridOnOrder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to be: Maverick XLT, Lux PKG, Moonroof, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the official Ford Accessory Tailgate Assist - Hydraulic.

I like it!

Pros: No more babying the tailgate down

Neutral: Installation was easy but the last bolt that has to be twisted inside the tailgate was a little tricky. Have a helper.

Cons-ish: A little slowish, not the F150 stock speed, but it’s new so it might get better. You have to remove the bottle opener,hook point.

https://www.menards.com/main/floori...6584011607.htm?tid=2735983253595367499&ipos=6

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist hydraulic struts & custom bed mat on 2022 Maverick [video] 7655091
Don't you lose the ability to put the tailgate partially up??? Like to carry lumber or whatever if you have the tailgate up partially, wouldn't it be hooked to the spot where this damper is attached?

RAMS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Sorento SX & 2007 Infiniti M35x
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is the official Ford Accessory Tailgate Assist - Hydraulic.

I like it!

Pros: No more babying the tailgate down

Neutral: Installation was easy but the last bolt that has to be twisted inside the tailgate was a little tricky. Have a helper.

Cons-ish: A little slowish, not the F150 stock speed, but it’s new so it might get better. You have to remove the bottle opener,hook point.

Awesome, thanks. More pics of truck bed and how you custom cut that mat. Looks great.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't you lose the ability to put the tailgate partially up??? Like to carry lumber or whatever if you have the tailgate up partially, wouldn't it be hooked to the spot where this damper is attached?
No you DO NOT lose the ability to put the tailgate partially up.

The damper goes below the lower cable tie point so the upper tie point is still available along with the option to wrap the cable around the lower tie point.

Picture of tie points:

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist hydraulic struts & custom bed mat on 2022 Maverick [video] Panel in Bed - Left Side.JPG

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist hydraulic struts & custom bed mat on 2022 Maverick [video] ford maverick tailgate assist hydraulic struts 4

Sponsored
OP
OP
oreomuffin

oreomuffin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CaptainK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome, thanks. More pics of truck bed and how you custom cut that mat. Looks great.

It was a process takes a moderate amount of layout skill. Took about 2-3 hours. I made templates out of thin cardboard. Then transferred to the mat. I used a Hultafors Talmeter to measure the internal spacing and transferred that to the mat to cut(box cutter plus sturdy scissors). Started with the middle mat as you can see with the dog picture. Marked the center of the bed and went from there. Next did each side piece and worked toward the cab. The curved parts were the most time-consuming. Sorry, I don't have more process picks. I just happened to be taking pictures of the dog. 😂 The mat is a pretty hefty material. Taped it together with butyl tape. It would take A LOT of force to puncture or tear. I had 3.5 leftover squares. Totaled about $45 in material cost.

Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist hydraulic struts & custom bed mat on 2022 Maverick [video] Mid Progress
Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist hydraulic struts & custom bed mat on 2022 Maverick [video] Bed Complete

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Also a good safety device. Don't want a little kid getting a tailgate bonk to the top of their soft heads.
It's cool, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Seems like it might get a little aggravating. This is one of those things I'd probably prefer to take off instead of put on a truck. And if it hits my son on the head maybe it'll knock some sense into him. I've been looking for something for just this purpose. Maybe this is just another perk of having the Mav. And don't worry; he is incredibly hard-headed! :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

... dang, that's such a lame dad comment. 🤦‍♂️

potatosalad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question- does it have a bottle opener on both sides of the tailgate and/or can you install the tailgate damper on the right side? I'm assuming you can't because of the mounting bracket.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's it like closing the tailgate? Does the damper offer a lot of resistance?

RAMS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Sorento SX & 2007 Infiniti M35x
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was a process takes a moderate amount of layout skill. Took about 2-3 hours. I made templates out of thin cardboard. Then transferred to the mat. I used a Hultafors Talmeter to measure the internal spacing and transferred that to the mat to cut(box cutter plus sturdy scissors). Started with the middle mat as you can see with the dog picture. Marked the center of the bed and went from there. Next did each side piece and worked toward the cab. The curved parts were the most time-consuming. Sorry, I don't have more process picks. I just happened to be taking pictures of the dog. 😂 The mat is a pretty hefty material. Taped it together with butyl tape. It would take A LOT of force to puncture or tear. I had 3.5 leftover squares. Totaled about $45 in material cost.

Mid Progress.jpg
Bed Complete.jpg
Thanks for the pictures and information. Did a great job, and $45 works for me than $150. Cute dog in the pic 👍🏾.
Sponsored