Sponsored

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Just installed mine 1 hour ago. The secret to a successful install is to read this thread. The bolt that attaches to the tailgate with blue lock tight is where most people are having problems.

I threaded the bolt with the nut away from the bracket. It was tough. All the blue lock tight came off. I then put the bolt thru the bracket. The nut threaded very easily. I put a few drop of lock tight on the bolt. Put the bolt in the tailgate hole. Pulled the bracket out while tightening, and in 2 minutes the bracket was tight. I read people are having major problems with this step.

Tailgate assist works great. Just watch and make sure the silver bolt that sticks out does not contact the shock. It is very close.
I installed mine like a week ago and kind of forgot about it…. Came out of the store today and open my tailgate and it catches and I’m like “WTF!! Oooohhh yeah, I installed the tailgate damper”

I then stood there in awe during a snow flurry as it slowly drifted into the downward-most position
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doug Wildman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Tailgate Assist hydraulic struts & custom bed mat on 2022 Maverick [video] F6DC3B7C-F6CA-472E-B968-7449DD8573F4

I modified the existing tie down to work with the tailgate assist. Cutting wheel, filed rough edges, and bent to clear bed.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
generally don't like these as when I want the tailgate opened I want it opened NOW, without a delay. Never found tailgates that heavy or difficult to manage without hydraulic struts.

The only time I wish I had them is when my daughter lets the tailgate slam open. Just need to teach her to feather it

Last edited:

Halo9x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2023
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Only on one side. I was kind of curious how it would work if you put one on each side.
I’m sure you could but it really isn’t necessary. Overkill.

Halo9x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2023
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

generally don't like these as when I want the tailgate opened I want it opened NOW, without a delay. Never found tailgates that heavy or difficult to manage without hydraulic struts.

The only time I wish I had them is when my daughter lets the tailgate slam open. Just need to teach her to feather it
Really? 5 seconds going to make that much of a difference?
Sponsored