First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
...And they had 5 Mavericks on the lot: 2 XL's and 3 XLT's, no Lariats. All appeared to be customer orders rather than retail stock meaning that they might belong to one of you. (sorry to tell you guys, but somebody's already had your baby's tailgate down and put their dirty hands all up in their beds! :love:)

I hadn't yet seen one in person and was quite impressed. I was worried that this would be proportioned more like a car but they are larger than expected. They look like trucks.

One was an FX4. one had a moonroof and lux pack. AFAIK all were ecoboosts, no hybrids.

One was in area 51, three were cactus grey and one was alto blue. The alto blue looks AMAZING - photos don't do it justice. That one was filthy from sitting out in the rain and it still popped. IMO this truck looks best dressed in darker colors.

The XLT's seem to sit just a bit higher than the XL's despite having the same 225/65/17 tires. The FX4 wheels look great. The stock continentals look pretty decent for what they are. The Pirelli's look kind of meh for an AT tire. They look like a good SUV tire and if that's what you want they should be fine but, neither look as good as Falkens. The tires look well proportioned despite being 225's. After all the posts about tire sizes that was a pleasant surprise but there is clearly room for larger tires. None had 235's.

The bed looked bigger than expected. So many people online have crapped on this truck for the 4 1/2' bed but it doesn't feel small at all and should be very practical. At least one had the spray in bed liner which looked good, the rest were bare paint. One had the adjustable bed rails installed and they are quite slick but only have one cleat. I wonder if you can order the rails and cleats through parts?

The XL interior seems kind of plain and utilitarian but in a good way. The XLT upholstery looks like faded denim and I liked it more seeing it in person than what you can see in photos. I have to admit, the orange accents do nothing for me, though. Clearly plenty of room front and back. Windows were tinted darker than expected and it looks great.

This is not news for those of you who have taken delivery or seen them on the lot, but if you haven't seen one up close you will be pleasantly surprised.

Ford Maverick Swung by Chapman in Horsham today... mav
Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
...And they had 5 Mavericks on the lot: 2 XL's and 3 XLT's, no Lariats. All appeared to be customer orders rather than retail stock meaning that they might belong to one of you. (sorry to tell you guys, but somebody's already had your baby's tailgate down and put their dirty hands all up in their beds! :love:)

I hadn't yet seen one in person and was quite impressed. I was worried that this would be proportioned more like a car but they are larger than expected. They look like trucks.

One was an FX4. one had a moonroof and lux pack. AFAIK all were ecoboosts, no hybrids.

One was in area 51, three were cactus grey and one was alto blue. The alto blue looks AMAZING - photos don't do it justice. That one was filthy from sitting out in the rain and it still popped. IMO this truck looks best dressed in darker colors.

The XLT's seem to sit just a bit higher than the XL's despite having the same 225/65/17 tires. The FX4 wheels look great. The stock continentals look pretty decent for what they are. The Pirelli's look kind of meh for an AT tire. They look like a good SUV tire and if that's what you want they should be fine but, neither look as good as Falkens. The tires look well proportioned despite being 225's. After all the posts about tire sizes that was a pleasant surprise but there is clearly room for larger tires. None had 235's.

The bed looked bigger than expected. So many people online have crapped on this truck for the 4 1/2' bed but it doesn't feel small at all and should be very practical. At least one had the spray in bed liner which looked good, the rest were bare paint. One had the adjustable bed rails installed and they are quite slick but only have one cleat. I wonder if you can order the rails and cleats through parts?

The XL interior seems kind of plain and utilitarian but in a good way. The XLT upholstery looks like faded denim and I liked it more seeing it in person than what you can see in photos. I have to admit, the orange accents do nothing for me, though. Clearly plenty of room front and back. Windows were tinted darker than expected and it looks great.

This is not news for those of you who have taken delivery or seen them on the lot, but if you haven't seen one up close you will be pleasantly surprised.

mav.jpg
Wish I could see one. Thanks for your observations.

OP
OP
Decayed

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wish I could see one. Thanks for your observations.
Ya know, it was a Sunday with nothing special to do so I decided to take a ride just to see. I had no idea if they would have any on the lot, but based on their presence here I suspected they might. I was reluctant to place an order sight unseen. This answered pretty much all my questions. I don't think you would be disappointed, either.

It's a nice sized vehicle. I had a 1980 toyota pickup and that thing was TINY even though it had a longer bed. My neighbor still drives an 80 toyota pickup and if it was that small I'd be very disappointed.

They are about an hour from me but it was a nice day. Getting to see the different models side by side was nice. I'd still like to know why the XL's seem to sit lower. I even measured from my belt to the front emblem and it looked like they were about 1" lower with the same sized tires. Weird.

Canis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VWs
I'd still like to know why the XL's seem to sit lower. I even measured from my belt to the front emblem and it looked like they were about 1" lower with the same sized tires. Weird.
Was the high one the FX4? If so, they utilize different, twin-tube shocks and have touch more ride height i believe. (could be wrong on the ride height/clearance)

OP
OP
Decayed

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was the high one the FX4? If so, they utilize different, twin-tube shocks and have touch more ride height i believe. (could be wrong on the ride height/clearance)
It was XL vs XLT. Wasn't much, just barely enough to catch my eye.

If you look at the pic, the two XL's are together in the foreground and the 3 XLT's are in the back. The FX4 seemed to be the same as the other XLT's. It's the one in the middle of the group of 3.

Sponsored

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ya know, it was a Sunday with nothing special to do so I decided to take a ride just to see. I had no idea if they would have any on the lot, but based on their presence here I suspected they might. I was reluctant to place an order sight unseen. This answered pretty much all my questions. I don't think you would be disappointed, either.

It's a nice sized vehicle. I had a 1980 toyota pickup and that thing was TINY even though it had a longer bed. My neighbor still drives an 80 toyota pickup and if it was that small I'd be very disappointed.

They are about an hour from me but it was a nice day. Getting to see the different models side by side was nice. I'd still like to know why the XL's seem to sit lower. I even measured from my belt to the front emblem and it looked like they were about 1" lower with the same sized tires. Weird.
This is my first ever ordering a vehicle. Sight unseen. I'm taking a risk, I keep telling myself. My last truck was a red Chevy S10. I loved that it was a truck. RWD and totally sucked in winter. The sad thing is it didn't even last 10 years. Engine died after 8 years. Had to quickly get a replacement. Went to ford and got a Focus hatchback. Loved that car. But horrible on gas mileage for a little car. Then went the lease route with a 2016, then 2018 both blue Escape.

I saw this maverick and fell in love with it. I'm getting up in years, so I want a vehicle I can afford before I retire from working. I'm hoping FWD will be better in snow than that S10. Then I changed the color from blue to orange cuz, "why the hell not! I only have one life and I want a bright color!"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Decayed

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is my first ever ordering a vehicle. Sight unseen. I'm taking a risk, I keep telling myself. My last truck was a red Chevy S10. I loved that it was a truck. RWD and totally sucked in winter. The sad thing is it didn't even last 10 years. Engine died after 8 years. Had to quickly get a replacement. Went to ford and got a Focus hatchback. Loved that car. But horrible on gas mileage for a little car. Then went the lease route with a 2016, then 2018 both blue Escape.

I saw this maverick and fell in love with it. I'm getting up in years, so I want a vehicle I can afford before I retire from working. I'm hoping FWD will be better in snow than that S10. Then I changed the color from blue to orange cuz, "why the he'll not! I only have one life and I want a bright color!"
If the S10 sucked in winter (assuming RWD. I had a 1980 toyota pickup that was RWD and BOY did that suck in snow) why not get the AWD option?

Otherwise, every FWD vehicle we've had has been reasonably functional in snow. You should be fine and certainly better off than in a RWD S10, that's for sure.

I'm ordering mine with the off road package specifically because we need at least one vehicle capable of getting around in extreme weather in case of emergency.

And I want to have some fun with it. After a bout with cancer I deserve a nice toy: XLT black, tow, 360, fx4, moonroof, rear window and 110v outlet with spray in bed. Maybe get a little camper and do some light off roading. And I can help my kids move when they graduate from college instead of renting a crappy uhaul.

I can't emphasize enough how you will not be disappointed with the maverick. I felt the same as you as far as taking a risk until I saw them. It exceeded my expectations which I thought were realistic. I had a big grin plastered on my face the entire time I was crawling around them. Very confident I will love it even without a test drive and I bet you will too.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If the S10 sucked in winter (assuming RWD. I had a 1980 toyota pickup that was RWD and BOY did that suck in snow) why not get the AWD option?

Otherwise, every FWD vehicle we've had has been reasonably functional in snow. You should be fine and certainly better off than in a RWD S10, that's for sure.

I'm ordering mine with the off road package specifically because we need at least one vehicle capable of getting around in extreme weather in case of emergency.

And I want to have some fun with it. After a bout with cancer I deserve a nice toy: XLT black, tow, 360, fx4, moonroof, rear window and 110v outlet with spray in bed. Maybe get a little camper and do some light off roading. And I can help my kids move when they graduate from college instead of renting a crappy uhaul.

I can't emphasize enough how you will not be disappointed with the maverick. I felt the same as you as far as taking a risk until I saw them. It exceeded my expectations which I thought were realistic. I had a big grin plastered on my face the entire time I was crawling around them. Very confident I will love it even without a test drive and I bet you will too.
I wanted the better gas mileage that the hybrid offered. I don't do as much traveling any more like I did when younger. The reservation I made with Ford was the AWD eco, like my Escapes were, but decided I wanted the better city mileage as that is pretty much how I'll be using the truck.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw one today too for the first time at a local dealer. Honestly, it was much shorter than I thought it would be. (and it was an FX4) I am not tall and could easy reach over the roof (something I can’t do on my wife’s buick encore).
Seating position will be fairly low, so that was a disappointment. The truck was longer overall than I thought at least.
Can’t say I was blown away. Still on the fence about my order now.

OP
OP
Decayed

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I saw one today too for the first time at a local dealer. Honestly, it was much shorter than I thought it would be. (and it was an FX4) I am not tall and could easy reach over the roof (something I can’t do on my wife’s buick encore).
Seating position will be fairly low, so that was a disappointment. The truck was longer overall than I thought at least.
Can’t say I was blown away. Still on the fence about my order now.
It depends on your expectations. Mine were based on a 1980 toyota pickup. Also, my current DD is a mazda 3 and it sits LOOOOOOOOW so the mav was always gonna be a big improvement in that area. When they call it a "compact" pickup it did in fact mean it's smaller than other offerings. It's a feature, not a bug, but compared to the oversized trucks that dominate the market, it does seem small. I like it.

Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It depends on your expectations. Mine were based on a 1980 toyota pickup. Also, my current DD is a mazda 3 and it sits LOOOOOOOOW so the mav was always gonna be a big improvement in that area. When they call it a "compact" pickup it did in fact mean it's smaller than other offerings. It's a feature, not a bug, but compared to the oversized trucks that dominate the market, it does seem small. I like it.
Well put and understandable.

I just was surprised. The awd Encore is sub-compact and on paper the maverick is supposedly a couple inches taller. Just didn’t translate in reality I guess.

Jimmy P

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the post, particularly the comments on the Alto Blue. Can't wait to see mine, should be here in about three weeks.

OP
OP
Decayed

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the post, particularly the comments on the Alto Blue. Can't wait to see mine, should be here in about three weeks.
Ford Maverick Swung by Chapman in Horsham today... tenor

I'm going with black because reasons, but alto blue would be my second choice. It's really nice.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

mav.jpg
Was the Alto the FX4? I have one that’s due to show up there very soon. See my signature for my options list. Might be a week or so too early for mine.

OP
OP
Decayed

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was the Alto the FX4? I have one that’s due to show up there very soon. See my signature for my options list. Might be a week or so too early for mine.
I don't think so. If you look at the 3 XLT's in the back, the Alto blue was the farthest, then I think the FX4 was the next closest in cactus grey. I don't get the appeal of that color.

If I'm mistaken and it WAS yours, rest assured I had my filthy hands all over that thing. 😂
Sponsored