First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey I just stopped by my ford dealership to look at the area51 xlt that they have in stock and was surprised to see the same missing paint on the same weld spot. It’s not as obvious as yours but still.
A005BE42-3C1B-4F91-B007-068D08DD2D85.jpeg
I wonder if the is is a case where they are painting over a seam sealer and it’s not as heating properly.
Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly I still don’t know. I’m going to ask them when I go back.
Even more curious that, if the dealer caught it, but let you drive on it, wouldn’t that open them to some kind of liability should it fail?
Please post all the info you can about the rims, when you can.

OP
OP
Cubsfan24

Cubsfan24

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even more curious that, if the dealer caught it, but let you drive on it, wouldn’t that open them to some kind of liability should it fail?
Please post all the info you can about the rims, when you can.
I will update.

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went to a Ford event today in Austin Texas and looked a 4 different pre-production Mavericks. All had this exact same issue. The bed joint area behind the passenger side all looked good (as good or better than the picture above). However, behind the driver side were varying degrees of terrible. Pretty sure I could do a better weld (and I suck at welding). When I point this out to the Ford Rep, his comment was "yeah. Looks terrible. My guess is that Ford will probably send out a plastic strip to cover it."

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am pretty sure that is sealant, not a weld.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went to a Ford event today in Austin Texas and looked a 4 different pre-production Mavericks. All had this exact same issue. The bed joint area behind the passenger side all looked good (as good or better than the picture above). However, behind the driver side were varying degrees of terrible. Pretty sure I could do a better weld (and I suck at welding). When I point this out to the Ford Rep, his comment was "yeah. Looks terrible. My guess is that Ford will probably send out a plastic strip to cover it."
Instead of a plastic strip how about sending word back to the factory that the robo welder needs a tweak or two! Just saying 😌 🤷

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am pretty sure that is sealant, not a weld.
Yea same, that does not look like weld... no news here, they just need to be a little heavier on the sealer. I do kinda feel like they need to put a plastic cap on that painted rail below the rear window.

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea same, that does not look like weld... no news here, they just need to be a little heavier on the sealer. I do kinda feel like they need to put a plastic cap on that painted rail below the rear window.
If it is a sealer, it is a rock-hard sealer (i.e., something like a JB-Weld) and not something like a caulk. All the ones I looked at were different and un-even (or even rough) at different spots (thus seemed to be done by hand and not a machine). You would think that if it was something like a cold joint sealer, that someone could have flattened it out when it was still soft. Pretty evident that was not the case. What puzzled me the most was why the passenger side looked 10x better on every truck.

Had I never seen this thread before I went, I would have just assumed that this sloppy work was just an artifact of these units being pre-production (and that things like this would have been corrected before production units were shipped). I find it amazing that this made it through QA and was not fixed before painting (probably would have taken 1 minute with an angle grinder if this were a weld or probably half that if it is just hard sealant).

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder why they did not take the bed liner all the way to the rear window, rather than leaving that bar of painted area. I feel like that would have looked better anyways. When I have line-X spray mine in I am going to have them cover that part.
I think it is going to be super tough to get under the glass with the liner......

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep the issues coming! By the time I get my truck I may spend a week inspecting at the dealer after it comes in.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it is a sealer, it is a rock-hard sealer (i.e., something like a JB-Weld) and not something like a caulk. All the ones I looked at were different and un-even (or even rough) at different spots (thus seemed to be done by hand and not a machine). You would think that if it was something like a cold joint sealer, that someone could have flattened it out when it was still soft. Pretty evident that was not the case. What puzzled me the most was why the passenger side looked 10x better on every truck.

Had I never seen this thread before I went, I would have just assumed that this sloppy work was just an artifact of these units being pre-production (and that things like this would have been corrected before production units were shipped). I find it amazing that this made it through QA and was not fixed before painting (probably would have taken 1 minute with an angle grinder if this were a weld or probably half that if it is just hard sealant).
If the seam is done by hand then it sounds like the worker on the passenger side certainly knows how to do their job and the worker on the driver's side still more training!

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am pleasantly surprised there's not an angry, irrational mob shouting you down about "this is what you signed up for" or "maverick is the best truck in the world! It does not have issues, YOU have issues!"
No joke. And then, what makes it even worse, then the moderator/admin deletes all opposing views, even though they have great logic and laid out nicely.
Sponsored