Sponsored

Steel vs aluminum wheels - weight, handing, mpg?

OP
OP

j1truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EGolf
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the consensus is that there’s no difference between factory steel and aluminum wheels? and if there is, it would be small to have any impact?
Sponsored

HerrJavier

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Living in the Northeast, my concern with steelies is RUST

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mercury Mariner 51,000 miles
I put on only about 4,000 miles a year. I am not in my car long enough to take advantage of all of the extras that go along with the XLT or higher. So, I figured why spend the money? I went XL with the 2.0L and will have the steel wheels. Does not bother me at all. Plus, I want the dark interior because my job has me in contact with a lot of graphite and it sneaks in everywhere. I want the vehicle as a secondary family vehicle and it will work well for my hobbies. I will be extremely happy and grateful to get this vehicle and the steel wheels will work just fine for my purpose.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Living in the Northeast, my concern with steelies is RUST
You should talk to all the people with alloy wheels that are corroded to the brake rotors and drums. The Al and Fe can form a galvanic action to make them difficult to separate. I have never heard of a steel wheel becoming difficult to remove due to the salt used on the roads in the NE, but am open to experiences.
tom

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hubcentric steel rims can become a nightmare to get off if the part of the hub snout that sticks through the bore becomes rusted and forms a lip. Also of course the rim itself starts to rust. Unpainted aluminum rims eventually can get pretty gnarly with oxidation, too.
Sponsored