Sponsored

Steel vs aluminum wheels - weight, handing, mpg?

j1truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EGolf
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi All
Is there a noticeable difference between steel and aluminum wheels in terms of weight, handing, mpg when pair with hybrid engine?

looking to get xl but heard somewhere that steel wheels are not good for mpg, handling, etc

thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnDLG

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In theory aluminum should weigh less. I've also heard that given weight increase at the wheels would cost more than the same weight as payload. I'm not sure how that works out in practice though.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was looking at aftermarket wheels and noticed a few aluminum wheels, same size, were approximately 10 to 20% lighter than steel wheels.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
A lighter wheel takes less power to rotate/accelerate. A higher unsprung weight makes the suspension work harder. Lighter is always better, unless strength is compromised.

Oh, and steel wheels scram “I’m cheap”.

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
A lighter wheel takes less power to rotate/accelerate. A higher unsprung weight makes the suspension work harder. Lighter is always better, unless strength is compromised.

I agree Gary. Also The advantage to steel wheels is know by every police department in the US, aluminum cracks with a big impact and steel will bend and still hold air most times. I was going to go XL but for 2,285 you get great looking wheels and Interior, cruise, few other goodies, and resale.

Sponsored

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lighter weight wheels have less rotational inertia and therefore mpg, acceleration and handling all increase. But, factory aluminum wheels need to be strong enough to handle curb impacts and pot holes, so there manufactured thicker than aluminum race wheels so they’re still “heavy”.

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Or conversely scream: "I'm common sensically, proudly value orientated" - Depends on one's own value system ...

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or conversely scream: "I'm common sensically, proudly value orientated" - Depends on one's own value system ...
Yep, I’m not one who needs to impress strangers by spending money. Many other things to do with it.

black dog

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Come on. Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one.

Sponsored

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So does the hybrid mpg rating takes into consideration of the wheels? Is that why they're only advertising XLT mainly?

Value and mpg are the two main things I look at as my deciding factors in getting this truck so I gotta make sure I nail it!

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally I find the steel wheels attractive. I think they send the 'no-nonsense' message to anyone who looks at them. They seem purposeful, not here to mess around or look pretty, but to get the job done.
I only would go for the XLT to get cruise control, unavailable otherwise. Adding an aftermarket cruise to a drive-by-wire throttle seemed a bit questionable to me.
tom

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Hi All
Is there a noticeable difference between steel and aluminum wheels in terms of weight, handing, mpg when pair with hybrid engine? ....
So does the hybrid mpg rating takes into consideration of the wheels? ...
The discussion of handling and vehicle dynamics is spot on, but a hybrid drivetrain changes a couple things regarding mileage.

Weight is demoted to a secondary effect by use of regenerative braking. It's not perfect, you only get 85-90% return, but that's enough to knock a 10% effect down to 1%, which can be ignored. I had snows on steel wheels for the C-Max. I saw no change in mileage when changing over in Spring and Fall.

Wheels matter because of the tires you put on them. Rolling resistance is important, and low profile is better, but it's far more important to mount a LRR tire regardless the rim choice. .

OP
OP

j1truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EGolf
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered an XL. Most of the “factory” aluminum wheels don’t have much advantage. I’m happy with steel wheels.
Would checking the car side sticker of xl and xlt be able to tell us of the weight difference?