First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where's the saving when they charge $40 extra per vehicle registration and our state and county personal property taxes increased $500 per vehicle because we are not visiting the gas pumps as often.
I don't think this has hit us (yet?) in Arizona, so I'm curious about it.

I've heard of increasing registration fees ($40 in your case) to offset the loss of gas tax revenue. That's probably going to happen here in AZ too.

But what is the deal with personal property taxes going up $500 per vehicle? How does that work? Did they increase the tax rate for just EVs, or for Hybrids also, or for all vehicles? How much did the tax rate change? Or is the change because used vehicles are "worth more" in the current market?

I'd appreciate any information. I'm not sure what is being considered here in AZ, but I'd like to know more about what is going on.
Sponsored

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think this has hit us (yet?) in Arizona, so I'm curious about it.

I've heard of increasing registration fees ($40 in your case) to offset the loss of gas tax revenue. That's probably going to happen here in AZ too.

But what is the deal with personal property taxes going up $500 per vehicle? How does that work? Did they increase the tax rate for just EVs, or for Hybrids also, or for all vehicles? How much did the tax rate change? Or is the change because used vehicles are "worth more" in the current market?

I'd appreciate any information. I'm not sure what is being considered here in AZ, but I'd like to know more about what is going on.
Here in VA, personal property tax in vehicles is 4.57%. But that’s regardless of gas or hybrid. There is an additional fee for “high MPG” vehicles, approximately $100 iirc.

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So this is a good idea. I currently drive a hybrid, but didn't get the Mav hybrid, mainly for towing capability. I don't like the mileage tax as this isn't equatable. Everyone uses the roads. Did you get groceries this week? Have kids on a school bus? Need to go to the doctor? I'm betting you used a road, even on a bicycle. Roads benefit and are necessary for everyone, whether you drive a lot, a little, or not at all. Anyone use UPS or Amazon? While driving a hybrid or EV helps save the environment, (good on you/me), it does nothing to save or fix the roads.

Now if we all had a EV hovercraft that doesn't tear up the road surface...

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here in VA, personal property tax in vehicles is 4.57%. But that’s regardless of gas or hybrid. There is an additional fee for “high MPG” vehicles, approximately $100 iirc.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. But it doesn't fully explain what @Revengeman01 was talking about. (At least, as far as I can tell.) He said:
our state and county personal property taxes increased $500 per vehicle because we are not visiting the gas pumps as often.
It sounds like he is talking about something different. Like a specific tax that was added or increased to counteract the effect of not as much gasoline being consumed.

So I'm still hoping he will chime in and explain what he was talking about.

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Short term, taxes should increase for Gasoline and Oil companies, to foster a quicker shift to renewables.... but eventually everybody using the roads should have to pay their fair share.

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually, US gasoline usage has been relatively flat since about 2007 (with a major pandemic-induced dip in 2020).
It did take a dip during the mid 2000's when fuel jumped to $4. Then the recession, shortly after fuel prices dropped & people again thought that's over lets get a big truck. In 2020 millions of people stopped driving & fuel dropped to $1.25 here. So again people thought fuel is so cheap let buy a big truck again. I would like to see that graph show 2021, I'm sure it's passed up 2018.

RustBeltRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE Premium
In Columbus Ohio it's a 200 Dollar a year registration tax on Hybrids..
It's a 300.00 a year registration tax on Electric.
Then the Local AEP power company is now adding fees to those who have the 220 home car charger.. So.. I think i am getting a Donkey as my next vehicle.. that way when I am holding up traffic and someone yells to "move my ass" or that "some ass up there is holding up traffic" i can take that as them talking about my donkey.. :)

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

earlyre

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL
In Columbus Ohio it's a 200 Dollar a year registration tax on Hybrids..
It's a 300.00 a year registration tax on Electric.
Then the Local AEP power company is now adding fees to those who have the 220 home car charger.. So.. I think i am getting a Donkey as my next vehicle.. that way when I am holding up traffic and someone yells to "move my ass" or that "some ass up there is holding up traffic" i can take that as them talking about my donkey.. :)
Did they up it? Or is there an additional Franklin county tax added on ( which is perfectly legal.) last I lived in Cbus, 03-04, it cost me $25 more each year than it did up here to register my Sonata.*

up here in Lima, ( Allen County) I'm paying ~$150 yr for my Cmax ( granted that was last year, not quite time for this year yet.)~$50 for the registration,$100 hybrid tax

If it plugged in (ie:my brother's volt) it's ~$250/yr ~$50 reg, $200 ev tax

*My one buddy that lives outside of Bexley, always registered his vehicles at his mom's addy up here in Lima to save money, until she moved to AK and sold the house.
Sponsored