Banned
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep grand cherokee
  • Banned
Wife and I drive Jeep Cherokee (me--Maverick replacing it) and a Grand Cherokee (hers) and both have start stop (mostly annoying*)
On my Cherokee is one battery in typical engine bay location with a smart sensor programed to disable the start stop if bat voltage below some predetermined level. My jeep only has 8000 miles after 3 years... never a long enough drive to fully recharge the battery. I ignored it as the feature basically annoys me because the disable switch is only for the one start and at each engine stop it would default to auto start on. I am smart enough to check the battery and it was good with plenty to run every thing except that Feature.

My wife's 2019 Grand Cherokee has two batteries, one under pass seat is small sealed Lead acid with smart sensor. When start stop started throwing a notice that the feature was not working due to low voltage ( despite info screen shows 12.8VDC engine off, and 14.7 VDC engine running. So she had the system checked at a normal service (only 1 month remaking on the 3yr/36K Warranty)and they found the Battery sensor was faulting. They replaced the sensor and BOTH batteries ---no charge (very great customer service because we all know batteries are seldom replaced under warranty.)
Ok that's the back ground:

The questions.
Are there two batteries on Ford start stop vehicles?
If yes, where are they?

Comment RE: * mostly annoying:
We live rural and mostly drive in a small town. While it is true that at night all main street/major highway are timed so truckers, at the right speed, can zoom through town making all the lights.
However promptly a 5AM, all are reprogrammed such that there is NO speed you can drive and hit all greens.
Businesses are opening. Wink.
This is annoying with start stop feature where a normal change back to green from red--the times vary from 90 second to 180 seconds. Stopping the engine at every stop doesn't save any appreciable fuel or reduce emissions which is the point of the feature. Thus, Over time, wife and I simply developed the motion to push the start stop disable before releasing the parking brake

OTOH...I am near Austin where a 30 mile cross town commute can take well over an hour. And I have driven extensively in the WDC belt way-- in each case are many 6 lane in all 4 directions intersections where full cycle from red to green can and frequently exceeds 10 minutes. In those commutes this feature will over time indeed reduce fuel consumption and pollution

Please respond with your opinions and especially if you know answer to my two questions
Sponsored

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wife and I drive Jeep Cherokee (me--Maverick replacing it) and a Grand Cherokee (hers) and both have start stop (mostly annoying*)
On my Cherokee is one battery in typical engine bay location with a smart sensor programed to disable the start stop if bat voltage below some predetermined level. My jeep only has 8000 miles after 3 years... never a long enough drive to fully recharge the battery. I ignored it as the feature basically annoys me because the disable switch is only for the one start and at each engine stop it would default to auto start on. I am smart enough to check the battery and it was good with plenty to run every thing except that Feature.

My wife's 2019 Grand Cherokee has two batteries, one under pass seat is small sealed Lead acid with smart sensor. When start stop started throwing a notice that the feature was not working due to low voltage ( despite info screen shows 12.8VDC engine off, and 14.7 VDC engine running. So she had the system checked at a normal service (only 1 month remaking on the 3yr/36K Warranty)and they found the Battery sensor was faulting. They replaced the sensor and BOTH batteries ---no charge (very great customer service because we all know batteries are seldom replaced under warranty.)

The questions.
If yes, where are they?

We live rural and mostly drive in a small town. While it is true that at night all main street/major highway are timed so truckers, at the right speed, can zoom through town making all the lights.
However promptly a 5AM, all are reprogrammed such that there is NO speed you can drive and hit all greens.
This is annoying with start stop feature where a normal change back to green from red--the times vary from 90 second to 180 seconds. Stopping the engine at every stop doesn't save any appreciable fuel or reduce emissions which is the point of the feature. Thus, Over time, wife and I simply developed the motion to push the start stop disable before releasing the parking brake

OTOH...I am near Austin where a 30 mile cross town commute can take well over an hour. And I have driven extensively in the WDC belt way-- in each case are many 6 lane in all 4 directions intersections where full cycle from red to green can and frequently exceeds 10 minutes. In those commutes this feature will over time indeed reduce fuel consumption and pollution

Please respond with your opinions and especially if you know answer to my two questions
This is interesting. Have never heard of a separate battery for start/stop.
Looking forward to seeing some replies.

Portcqb

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Lux 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is a single battery with a sensor on the negative of the battery talking to the BCM. It's supposed to automatically disable start stop if the battery is too low, demand requires the vehicle to run IE high heat setting, along with some other conditions.

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had disconnected the Start/stop with the battery terminal for a few weeks (See photo below). It was also a annoying since a “battery charging error” in the info display had to be cleared each time the vehicle was started. I determined the auto start/stop Eliminator was worth the $100 for a longterm solution. It was a basic install with removing the two nuts on the data link connector. This allows easy access to the quick connect plug on the back. The eliminator connects in series. I’ll bet there are some folks that can unplug with out removal. I blame this on my sausage fingers😂😂😂

This is the best upgrade to my truck to date.

Makes me feel great that I’m doing my part of keeping our landfills empty from all the failed starters the auto start/stop will cause
Ford Maverick Start Stop Battery Questions 5CCD6293-4BA3-4257-BC9E-337CFB356C0C

Ford Maverick Start Stop Battery Questions 7C750798-381B-449F-BA81-3B7350AB7574

Ford Maverick Start Stop Battery Questions FBD09A82-F101-4F84-8A34-1516FD4FACB8

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The questions.
If yes, where are they?

As I believe what happens (subject of course to correction):
1. Two batteries and at least one capacitor (I suspect more). 12 volt battery is to run 12 volt items only. The starter/generator in transaxle gets 3phase power from inverter which can draw from high voltage battery but also has capacitor available. Capacitor is used to clean up sine waves in 3phase current caused by permanent magnets when generating (engine or braking). I do not know but expect the start in start/stop to possibly be supplied clean 3phase from capacitor through inverter since capacitor should be topped off but could be supplied by high voltage battery. I expect capacitor to be quite large to hold at least some of regenerative braking to help smooth out braking regeneration surges. In any case 3phase will really crank ice good. Starter/generator can be switched from starter to generator mode instantaneously and be providing dirty sine power to inverter to be cleaned up and switched to drive motor possibly before you can get your foot on go pedal. This would be good in moderating charge/discharge cycling of drive battery. I saw where recommended wait time for capacitor to dissipate during removal was measured in minutes. (Safety factor?)

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. Two batteries and at least one capacitor (I suspect more). 12 volt battery is to run 12 volt items only. The starter/generator in transaxle gets 3phase power from inverter which can draw from high voltage battery but also has capacitor available. Capacitor is used to clean up sine waves in 3phase current caused by permanent magnets when generating (engine or braking). I do not know but expect the start in start/stop to possibly be supplied clean 3phase from capacitor through inverter since capacitor should be topped off but could be supplied by high voltage battery. I expect capacitor to be quite large to hold at least some of regenerative braking to help smooth out braking regeneration surges. In any case 3phase will really crank ice good. Starter/generator can be switched from starter to generator mode instantaneously and be providing dirty sine power to inverter to be cleaned up and switched to drive motor possibly before you can get your foot on go pedal. This would be good in moderating charge/discharge cycling of drive battery. I saw where recommended wait time for capacitor to dissipate during removal was measured in minutes. (Safety factor?)
The OP never specified if he was referring to the EcoBoost or Hybrid Maverick. I suspect he is referring to the EcoBoost.

On the Hybrid it is really dumb and possibly dangerous to even try to disable start/stop on the ICE motor as it is used for many purposes like charging the High Voltage battery if it has a low charge when stopped and the AC is running.

Big Ragu

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The capacitor was my guess as well on the start / stops. I believe it provides other functions as you will notice when you first open your car door the first capacitor fires up all the computers. I first noticed this on my F150 and also my Bronco.
2.7 on truck and 2.3 on bronco.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hunted around on line, only reference I could find to include 2 batteries was associated with the Cherokee model. Maybe there are other manufactures that use 2 separate batteries just could not find a link.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The OP never specified if he was referring to the EcoBoost or Hybrid Maverick. I suspect he is referring to the EcoBoost.

On the Hybrid it is really dumb and possibly dangerous to even try to disable start/stop on the ICE motor as it is used for many purposes like charging the High Voltage battery if it has a low charge when stopped and the AC is running.
Maybe an administrator could move this thread to the 2.0 sub forum (y)

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

YES, I justified in my mind that pushing the start/stop would only turn off the function and not necessarily the ice if it was needed. For something like heating the battery! I do not know what Ford considers preferred operating temps of battery but know for lithium ion in general is 68-105f though I expect more range particularly on upper end.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe an administrator could move this thread to the 2.0 sub forum (y)
Is there even a start/stop button hybrid?? If so I would bet it is safe to push as computer properly programmed would ignore it as necessary.🤔

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there even a start/stop button hybrid?? If so I would bet it is safe to push as computer properly programmed would ignore it as necessary.🤔
I've been looking, haven't found one.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang! If they put about a dozen start/stop buttons in the "DASH CUBBY" one for each of many things we could play our hybrid like a "PIANO"😱
Sponsored