l3536

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Carnival '22, Maverick XL Hybrid CG
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1500 miles hybrid. Twice so far at same stop sign where I have to rev up ice for a quick left turn then hit a stop sign after 5 seconds. As the mav comes to stop the engine shakes and stalls out (okay it doesn't really stall because electric drive train would take over). This is very similar to stopping a manual car without pressing clutch.

Anyone else with same problem?
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1500 miles hybrid. Twice so far at same stop sign where I have to rev up ice for a quick left turn then hit a stop sign after 5 seconds. As the mav comes to stop the engine shakes and stalls out (okay it doesn't really stall because electric drive train would take over). This is very similar to stopping a manual car without pressing clutch.

I have had this issue twice where the ICE engine shakes roughly. It has happened when I was accelerating from a stop. I just take my foot off the accelerator and the shaking stops then accelerate again with no shaking.

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Since it occurs at the same stop sign, maybe the stop sign is channeling some cosmic radiation towards any hybrid vehicles that come near it.

OP
OP

l3536

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Carnival '22, Maverick XL Hybrid CG
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since it occurs at the same stop sign, maybe the stop sign is channeling some cosmic radiation towards any hybrid vehicles that come near it.
Correction: traffic light at 37.712019040281334, -121.72399338261285

I firmly believe it's the Toyota dealership's shenanigans.

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Normal behavior for the Atkinson Cycle Engine (Hybrid Engines). A little kick is considered within spec or normal behavior. I’ve owned and currently own many generations of Prius’s which has the same type of engine our Hybrid Mavericks have, if you haven’t started the engine for a few days it’s actually worse. For my Prius it seemed to have gotten smoother when I ran Pennzoil platinum.. so I think it has something to do with oil flow? But regardless, normal for these little engines

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stock411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to jump in but it is normal for the engine to lug down? Its not normal for an Atkinson engine, i have had a few (non-hybrid) and never had engine die or lug down at stops. Could be normal for a hybrid but this would be the first i have heard.
Hybrid Atkinson’s are a little different I believe.

“The system is designed to keep the engine running within its most efficient rpm range. When increased driving loads lug down the engine's speed, the control system shuts off fuel to the engine and kills the engine. The electric motor then takes over and provides 100 percent of the driving power. If additional power is needed, the engine is restarted and adds its power output until the extra power is no longer needed.”

Also if you guys didn’t know, the Ford Hybrid system is effectively the same as Toyota’a Hybrid system

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Prius would do this on quick starts/stops of the engine. I’ve learned to not care as much.

samesea2012

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
i noticed this once coming to a stop going up an incline. hasn't happened since.

Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Stock 411 said:
"Also if you guys didn’t know, the Ford Hybrid system is effectively the same as Toyota’s Hybrid system"

Technically, it is the other way around: The Toyota hybrid system, since 2015, is essentially the same as Ford's.

When Ford developed their hybrid system in the early 2000's for the Escape and Fusion, Ford's layout was different than Toyota's. Toyota's two electric motors were laid out in line with each other, while Ford's were stacked, connected through gears. However, both essentially have the same power flow in operating principle and there were some issues when Ford applied for their patents. As a patent fight would have likely been drawn-out, Ford and Toyota came to an agreement. Ford was granted a license to use some of Toyota's patents, presumably for a nominal cost. Toyota's system was longer while Ford's was shorter but taller. By the 2010's, Toyota came to the conclusion that Ford's layout was superior and since 2015 Toyota uses Ford's "stacked motor" layout. A win-win for both companies.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Stock 411 said:
"Also if you guys didn’t know, the Ford Hybrid system is effectively the same as Toyota’s Hybrid system"

Technically, it is the other way around: The Toyota hybrid system, since 2015, is essentially the same as Ford's.

When Ford developed their hybrid system in the early 2000's for the Escape and Fusion, Ford's layout was different than Toyota's. Toyota's two electric motors were laid out in line with each other, while Ford's were stacked, connected through gears. However, both essentially have the same power flow in operating principle and there were some issues when Ford applied for their patents. As a patent fight would have likely been drawn-out, Ford and Toyota came to an agreement. Ford was granted a license to use some of Toyota's patents, presumably for a nominal cost. Toyota's system was longer while Ford's was shorter but taller. By the 2010's, Toyota came to the conclusion that Ford's layout was superior and since 2015 Toyota uses Ford's "stacked motor" layout. A win-win for both companies.
The HF45 in the Maverick is the descendant of the Toyota subsidiary Aisin design, which Ford started making in-house many years ago.

Mikk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The HF45 in the Maverick is the descendant of the Toyota subsidiary Aisin design, which Ford started making in-house many years ago.

The first two generations of Ford hybrid transaxles were made by Aisin, models HD-10 and HD-20, used on the early Escape and Fusion hybrids. The third- and fourth-generation transaxles are Ford designed and manufactured, HF35 and HF45, used in the 2013 and above Fusion, C-Max, Escape and Maverick. Ford has over 500 patents on their hybrid drive systems.
Sponsored