First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Velocity Blue 2.0 EcoBoost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I purchased an XL/AWD. It was a dealer ordered vehicle. The Maverick came with the “donut spare“. I have gathered from this forum, and my manual, that using the donut or even the full size spare, which is not the same size as the stock tires with the AWD System will screw up the calibration of the system or damage it. Why then, is a spare that is the same size as the stock tires not standard when an AWD system is installed on the vehicle? Am I missing something?
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A spare tire is an emergency tool for low speed and low distance to get you to a shop where you can safely have the wheel/tire repaired/replaced. Any damage that would result from excess use is not a concern when used properly - to get you to a shop, not at freeway speeds, and then swap it back off.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Per your owner's manual, AWD will be disabled with the temp spare in use. TPMS will alert you because there's no sensor in the spare. Limit your speed and get your normal tire/wheel repaired/replaced as soon as possible - don't continue driving on it for a week until you make time to take it in to the shop, for instance.

Message Action
AWD OFFThe all-wheel drive system temporarily turns off to protect itself from overheating or if you are using the temporary spare tire.
Note: The tire pressure monitoring system indicator light illuminates when the spare tire is in use. To restore the full function of the monitoring system, all road wheels equipped with tire pressure monitoring sensors must be mounted on this vehicle.
Source

Dissimilar Spare Wheel and Tire Assembly Information
Ford Maverick Spare Tires & AWD {filename}
WARNING: Failure to follow these guidelines could result in an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, injury or death.

If you have a dissimilar spare wheel and tire, then it is intended for temporary use only. This means that if you need to use it, you should replace it as soon as possible with a road wheel and tire assembly that is the same size and type as the road tires and wheels that we provided with the vehicle. If the dissimilar spare tire or wheel is damaged, replace it instead of repairing it.
A dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly is defined as a spare wheel and tire assembly that is different in brand, size or appearance from the road tires and wheels and can be one of three types:
1. T-type mini-spare: This spare tire begins with the letter T for tire size and may have Temporary Use Only molded in the sidewall.
2. Full-size dissimilar spare with label on wheel: This spare tire has a label on the wheel that states: THIS WHEEL AND TIRE ASSEMBLY FOR TEMPORARY USE ONLY.
When driving with one of the dissimilar spare tires listed above, do not:
  • Exceed 80 km/h.
  • Load the vehicle beyond maximum vehicle load rating listed on the Safety Compliance Label.
  • Tow a trailer.
  • Use snow chains on the end of the vehicle with the dissimilar spare tire.
  • Use more than one dissimilar spare tire at a time.
  • Use commercial car washing equipment.
  • Try to repair the dissimilar spare tire.
Use of one of the dissimilar spare tires listed above at any one wheel location can lead to impairment of the following:
  • Handling, stability and braking performance.
  • Comfort and noise.
  • Ground clearance and parking at curbs.
  • Winter weather driving capability.
  • Wet weather driving capability.
  • All-wheel driving capability.
3. Full-size dissimilar spare without label on wheel
When driving with the full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly, do not:
  • Exceed 113 km/h.
  • Use more than one dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly at a time.
  • Use commercial car washing equipment.
  • Use snow chains on the end of the vehicle with the dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly.
The usage of a full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly can lead to impairment of the following:
  • Handling, stability and braking performance.
  • Comfort and noise.
  • Ground clearance and parking at curbs.
  • Winter weather driving capability.
  • Wet weather driving capability.
  • All-wheel driving capability
When driving with the full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly additional caution should be given to:
  • Towing a trailer.
  • Driving vehicles equipped with a camper body.
  • Driving vehicles with a load on the cargo rack.
Drive cautiously when using a full-size dissimilar spare wheel and tire assembly and seek service as soon as possible.
Source

Last edited:

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So why does ford upgrade to a full size spare that isn't worth a flip. I'm happy I didn't order one and unhappy the mav I ended up with has one. Going to the tire store to get a real spare with TPMS when I get the urge.

OP
OP

robekert

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Velocity Blue 2.0 EcoBoost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
looks like I did miss something.

Sponsored

Sleepyalero

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So why does ford upgrade to a full size spare that isn't worth a flip. I'm happy I didn't order one and unhappy the mav I ended up with has one. Going to the tire store to get a real spare with TPMS when I get the urge.
even then, if there is a significant difference in tread wear, lets say your daily tires have about 35-40% life left, and your spare has 100% it can still damage the system, you also want to be running the same tire AFAIK as well, so when it comes you need new tires, and you go with something different, be prepared to replace 5 tires, not 4. if you are only replacing one tire, its best to replace them atleast in pairs, front has to match front, rear has to match rear as far as tire and tread life.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, get a flat & insert a worm and pump it up. Five minute rest stop and who cares about a useless spare unless you rip the tire apart. Then 5 mph to garage for new none matching tire.

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Per your owner's manual, AWD will be disabled with the temp spare in use. TPMS will alert you because there's no sensor in the spare. Limit your speed and get your normal tire/wheel repaired/repalced as soon as possible - don't continue driving on it for a week until you make time to take it in to the shop, for instance.

Source

Source
Does the AWD automatically turn off when the spare is on truck, or is there a switch to disable AWD?

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No switch. Computer controlled.

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I think at least getting TPMS on the OEM full size spare might be the minimum thing to do. Still and all, that spare is just temporary but, in my experience, I always seem to get a non-repairable tire which, because of tread wear, forces me to get a new pair - if not a whole new set of tires - to balance the wear!

Sponsored

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
even then, if there is a significant difference in tread wear, lets say your daily tires have about 35-40% life left, and your spare has 100% it can still damage the system
This is not necessarily true. I got a flat that was unrepairable in Death Valley on a 40 mile jeep road. I had to drive another 10 miles on the donut (going 10mph or less) to get to where I was going. We managed to find a used tire that was 1 inch larger diameter than my factory tires, and mounted that just to get me back to town. The flat was on the front, but we mounted the odd sized tire on the rear, since "The Maverick AWD runs in front wheel drive until the front wheels start to slip, then some power is transferred to the rear wheels." I drove on that tire several hundred highway miles back home. The clutch in the PTU protects from damage between front and rear axles. It had the same effect on the rear differential as driving 650 miles on a fairly large radius curve. Later on I found a slightly used tire online identical to mine with pretty close tread levels. However I would have no problem mounting a brand new tire if necessary, since the difference between a new and used tire is measured in 32nds of an inch.

Last edited:

DryFlyGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayenne
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tire Rack can shave a new tire to any tread depth and send it to you. You do not need to replace all 4 or even 2 tires if you have used any amount of tread depth. Measure and order.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tire Rack can shave a new tire to any tread depth and send it to you. You do not need to replace all 4 or even 2 tires if you have used any amount of tread depth. Measure and order.
Or you can order a used tire by tread depth at utires.com

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wouldn't the truck still get a signal from the tire sensor. If it's in the bed of the truck?

Kenny

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 Ecoboost with AWD, Tow Pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wouldn't the truck still get a signal from the tire sensor. If it's in the bed of the truck?
That's a good question. When I got my flat in Death Valley, I threw the flat tire in the bed. The donut spare doesn't have a sensor. The dash kept warning me that I had zero psi in one tire until I got the flat repaired. I don't know what warning I would have gotten if the tire was nowhere near the truck, but probably the same signal as a broken TPMS sensor.
Sponsored