Sponsored

Sources for details on Hybrid Engine (request)

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there any good documentation on the 2.5L engine? I was reading the manual and I noticed it doesn't have a picture for the drive belt routing like it does for the 2.0L engine. I assume that's because the 2.5L has a drive chain that's not expected to be maintained by the driver, which is great, but now I'd like to know stuff like 'does this engine have auxiliary belts or is everything running off the drive chain.'

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bombast

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's no external drive belt because nothing is belt driven. A/C? HV Electric. Power steering? Electric. Water Pump? Electric. There's just a harmonic balancer.
I sure do like that. Belts suck. Wonder what other niceties I'll get switching to a Hybrid engine.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there any good documentation on the 2.5L engine? I was reading the manual and I noticed it doesn't have a picture for the drive belt routing like it does for the 2.0L engine. I assume that's because the 2.5L has a drive chain that's not expected to be maintained by the driver, which is great, but now I'd like to know stuff like 'does this engine have auxiliary belts or is everything running off the drive chain.'

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
The Maverick Hybrid has these benefits over the gas EcoBoost engine

Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Transmission with CVT Belts
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Starter
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Alternator
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Timing Belt - it is Chain Driven
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Accessory Belt
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Conventional AC, AC is electric and driven by the High Voltage Battery
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Turbochargers

Note the "No Accessory Belt" as it is not required for a Hybrid.

The above were the main reasons I chose a Hybrid over the EcoBoost. 50% higher MPG for city driving is also a major plus along with higher reliability and lower repair costs.

Last edited:

Beesoldhouse

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford fusion hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Ford mechanic buddy and he says the 2.5 is much better engine design than the 2.0. I am currently in a 2018 hybrid fusion with a 2.0 and it has been a great car but am excited to feel the difference in how they drive.

Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick Hybrid has these benefits over the gas EcoBoost engine

Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Transmission with CVT Belts
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Starter
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Alternator
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Timing Belt - it is Chain Driven
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Accessory Belt
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Conventional AC, AC is electric and driven by the High Voltage Battery
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Turbochargers
Ford Maverick Hybrid – No Power Steering Pump, instead uses an electric power steering system.

Note the "No Accessory Belt" as it is not required for a Hybrid.

The above were the main reasons I chose a Hybrid over the EcoBoost. 50% higher MPG for city driving is also a major plus along with higher reliability and lower repair costs.
I have a 2016 Prius and a 2016 Volt. Both have been totally trouble free. What you say is all true above. But we all know about electronics. They can be very reliable but if not built well can develop problems. Those little diodes and resisters and circuit boards can overheat and stop working due to many reasons. There are many control modules in a Hybrid truck and several in an Ecoboost truck. Lucky for us Maverick buyers most of these components have some history in the Escape. If a major one fails, they are not cheap.

It is important to understand your warranty and what kind of electronics are protected in each section of the warranty periods. A module is not a drive train component but really is as important as the transmission or engine.

Only time will tell if there is a problem here. I am consider an extended warranty once I can get more information about what is covered by the different offerings.

GM is having a really bad time with the BOLT right now just over batteries (100% recall and no fix). On the Volt forum some control modules have become defective on 2017 models and parts are taking more than 6 months to get.

Many would say, electronics fail quickly so it it lasts the 3 years under the bumper to bumper warranty it may prove that it can go the distance of many more years.

Proflig8tor

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gulfstream / Grumman AA5B
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2.5L hybrid is based on Mazda’s L5 engine family, and won Ward’s best in the Fusion Hybrid back in 2010. Ford has continued to refine the design, improving durability in the CVT (bearing and clearance issues fixed), increasing the compression ratio, improving engine management and electric motor design.

The durability of the 2.3 L this was based on was very good, even when stressed with turbochargers. Our 2.5L should be an efficient and low stress engine, overbuilt for what it does in our Mavericks.

I ran one to 200,000 miles in a Mazda sedan. Traded it for another. Had no problems with this engine in a Ranger either.

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2016 Prius and a 2016 Volt. Both have been totally trouble free. What you say is all true above. But we all know about electronics. They can be very reliable but if not built well can develop problems. Those little diodes and resisters and circuit boards can overheat and stop working due to many reasons. There are many control modules in a Hybrid truck and several in an Ecoboost truck. Lucky for us Maverick buyers most of these components have some history in the Escape. If a major one fails, they are not cheap.

It is important to understand your warranty and what kind of electronics are protected in each section of the warranty periods. A module is not a drive train component but really is as important as the transmission or engine.

Only time will tell if there is a problem here. I am consider an extended warranty once I can get more information about what is covered by the different offerings.

GM is having a really bad time with the BOLT right now just over batteries (100% recall and no fix). On the Volt forum some control modules have become defective on 2017 models and parts are taking more than 6 months to get.

Many would say, electronics fail quickly so it it lasts the 3 years under the bumper to bumper warranty it may prove that it can go the distance of many more years.
Can only say l have had three Cmax, two regular hybrid, one plug in. Never, l mean NEVER, have l had one issue, not even brakes to overc100k miles. May current plug in hybrid just hit 110k miles, never needed anything but tires, not even a squeak from trim, no electronics, not even brakes. Amazing trans which was drained/fluid chaged at 90k. Runs like new and averages with the plug and hybrid combined over 55mpg. Looking forward to my new Lariat Mav (which is getting around 40 average) being as trouble free. Would never go back to non-hybrid, only forward to electric.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The eCVT in my 2005 Escape Hybrid was "sealed" and lubrication was labeled as "Lifetime".

And it was.

No issues and no fluid changes during 14 years and 235,000 miles of ownership.

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The eCVT in my 2005 Escape Hybrid was "sealed" and lubrication was labeled as "Lifetime".

And it was.

No issues and no fluid changes during 14 years and 235,000 miles of ownership.
How would you compare your maverick to the escape at this point? I'm not fully convinced the mav will last as long, or go as far. But I'd be pleased if mine does lol. I had the deep sleep issues early on with mine (23 XL) but knock on wood, it's been perfect after that got sorted.

Sponsored

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Ford mechanic buddy and he says the 2.5 is much better engine design than the 2.0. I am currently in a 2018 hybrid fusion with a 2.0 and it has been a great car but am excited to feel the difference in how they drive.
I have the 2.0 in the C-Max and this engine is way smoother and pulls so much better. feels much faster. Much better mileage when just in hybrid mode (without the plug in EV) mileage. 2.0 is like 38 MPG town, 33 highway, this is much better both ways.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

How would you compare your maverick to the escape at this point? I'm not fully convinced the mav will last as long, or go as far. But I'd be pleased if mine does lol. I had the deep sleep issues early on with mine (23 XL) but knock on wood, it's been perfect after that got sorted.
I had more confidence in the 2005 Escape. In many ways it was a less complicated design. But the transmissions are basically the same. However the Maverick has smaller (physical size) motors, that output about the same HP but the smaller package allows them to rev at higher RPM's. The HV battery in the Mav allows triple the EV driving, in about the same size package.

TomD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailsport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I sure do like that. Belts suck. Wonder what other niceties I'll get switching to a Hybrid engine.
You can poke OPEC in the eye!
Sponsored