Sponsored

Something for the cubby that's on top of and behind the touchscreen.

OP
OP
KenJ45

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have one of these Cell Phone Holder in my Ranger in the dash cubby. I'm pretty sure it won't fit in the Maverick without some trimming. The legs that hold the phone are adjustable and removable, I've checked and they will fit in that space, so it would feasible to hold a phone in Portrait mode.

On longer trips I'm fine setting up android auto, but on short trips here and there its more convenient to just have the navigation on the phone only. Personally I think having the phone up on the dash is safer than having it down in the bottom.
Yep, exactly my thought too, it's just quicker to just pull up the directions and toss the phone down than to go through the whole process of connecting the phone to the car and setting it up on the screen. And yes, having it up high means you don't need to keep looking down off the road to see the screen...

These are coming or maybe we’re available at some point. Nothing to do w a phone tho

7DC9EB92-E322-49B1-AF29-C05068BC3C55.png
I've seen that, and honestly don't see what the point of it is, lol.
Sponsored

JesTr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SEL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey, so there's a rectangular cubby on the dash that's behind the touchscreen. I was wondering if anyone can think of a way to make something that fits in there that can hold a phone upright in portrait mode so you can use it for gps navigation that way? I know people have things for that cubby next to the touchscreen, and you can buy regular vent clips to go on the a/c vents, but I think having it higher in the view would mean less looking down and off the road to see the screen?
Ford Maverick Something for the cubby that's on top of and behind the touchscreen. Screenshot_20220404-205450_Chrome

OP
OP
KenJ45

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yah, there are a lot of options for that little cubby next to the touchscreen. I'm not talking about that one though. Thanks anyway.

Ganfan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick (ordered)
Yah, there are a lot of options for that little cubby next to the touchscreen. I'm not talking about that one though. Thanks anyway.
Can you snap a pic of what cubby your talking about? If you give the dimensions il whip something up for ya

OP
OP
KenJ45

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I'm going to do the android auto thing and see if it's not too much of an inconvenience. I don't like keeping things like bluetooth on all of the time when I'm not using it, and right now my phone charging usb cable is connected to the one that's always on, because the data port only turns on when the key is in the on position and sometimes I like to just keep my phone charging in my car while I'm not in it. So either way I would have to do some connecting or changing of things if I want to use Android Auto. I absolutely do not want to take phone calls on my car audio because then everyone will hear my entire conversation, so I never use that. Which is why I don't have my setup to where everything connects automatically every time...

So just for the way I like to use my stuff, it's just faster to just pull up the gps on my phone and go rather than connect things to my car and then do it from there. But I'll try it out...

If you have an android phone, you don't have to connect to a vehicle for calls.

I leave my Bluetooth on my phone pretty much all the time. When it connects to my car, it is set to connect to a Bluetooth auxiliary input for media and connects to the car for calls.

When you pair your phone to your maverick, just connect to media only, not calls and media. Then you can use your phone as a phone, but still have it connected.

I don't have a maverick yet to verify this will work, but based on my experience with other vehicles I'd imagine that it would.

OP
OP
KenJ45

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you have an android phone, you don't have to connect to a vehicle for calls.

I leave my Bluetooth on my phone pretty much all the time. When it connects to my car, it is set to connect to a Bluetooth auxiliary input for media and connects to the car for calls.

When you pair your phone to your maverick, just connect to media only, not calls and media. Then you can use your phone as a phone, but still have it connected.

I don't have a maverick yet to verify this will work, but based on my experience with other vehicles I'd imagine that it would.
I do that, I always deny the car from doing the phone calls, but to do the GPS on the screen it has to be physically plugged into the data port, not through Bluetooth.

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I do that, I always deny the car from doing the phone calls, but to do the GPS on the screen it has to be physically plugged into the data port, not through Bluetooth.

Ok, thanks. Didn't realize it needed to plugged into the data port. I've never had a vehicle new enough to use android auto.

OP
OP
KenJ45

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, thanks. Didn't realize it needed to plugged into the data port. I've never had a vehicle new enough to use android auto.
Yah, Bluetooth you can do the other stuff like stream music, answer phone calls, etc. But to have your apps display on the screen it has to be physically plugged in. At least for the Maverick. I'm sure there are some high tech cars that can do it wirelessly...

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just gave it a try, it's a little annoying because I do have to switch the USB cable from my charger in the port that's always on to the data port which only charges when the car key is in the on position, but other than that it seems to work alright. I guess I'll just get used to using Android Auto...
I'm learning to like Android Auto in my husband's Maverick. It's taken me a month, but I'm finding more and more reasons to use it. My 2017 Toyota has USB downloaded navigation maps that have to be updated every other year (at $160) so running Google navigation through Android Auto for the Maverick is a big improvement.

Sponsored

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That flat spot to the right is designed for a suction cup phone holder. I circled it in red.

Easier to just plug the phone in down below, out of the way. Then you can just say "Hey Google, navigate to McDonalds." No need to touch the phone again. You'll also be able to put the dipping sauce on the flat spot, may need some tape.

Ford Maverick Something for the cubby that's on top of and behind the touchscreen. dash

OP
OP
KenJ45

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That flat spot to the right is designed for a suction cup phone holder. I circled it in red.

Easier to just plug the phone in down below, out of the way. Then you can just say "Hey Google, navigate to McDonalds." No need to touch the phone again. You'll also be able to put the dipping sauce on the flat spot, may need some tape.

dash.png
I need a dipping sauce holder, lol. But thanks for the suggestions. I never use any of that voice stuff. I'm one of those weird people that if something doesn't work near 100% correctly every time I'd rather not use it at all. I hate when a piece of technology that is supposed to help me doesn't do what I want it to do. So if it ever misunderstands what I'm saying I'm probably going to be pretty annoyed. So I rather just manually type it in. Same reason why I've turned off auto-correct and anything that is supposed to "intelligently" automatically change things. They change things to what I did not intend way too many times, so off they go... :ROFLMAO:

Kevin DeLuca

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Thunderbird, 02 Dodge Dakota 74 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey, so there's a rectangular cubby on the dash that's behind the touchscreen. I was wondering if anyone can think of a way to make something that fits in there that can hold a phone upright in portrait mode so you can use it for gps navigation that way? I know people have things for that cubby next to the touchscreen, and you can buy regular vent clips to go on the a/c vents, but I think having it higher in the view would mean less looking down and off the road to see the screen?
Has anybody seen an insert that fits in there that has a cover? I would like to put sunglasses in there and not be baking in the sun when I am not using them.
Sponsored