Soft paint? Rock chips after 400 miles

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
The films are good for bug guts and mud. Gotta get ceramic coating aftermarket for decent paint protection
They are but again, I didn't say protective films, I was talking about dealer paint protection packages which ARE NOT film or ceramic, they're really not much more than a wax.
Sponsored

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd Google for shops for plastic coating applications...In my area the same people doing window tinting do plastic coating installations. The Maverick black plastic bumpers take care of a lot of the gravel prone areas. Bug splatters - ceramic coatings will take care of most bug debris. Ceramic Coated my Cayman S 2 yrs ago and it still repels water like off a ducks back. Literally most washing is just misty garden hose spray and dirt just falls off...but do a brisk drive to dry the car off or use a microfiber drying cloth to get rid of water spotting.

I quit the film stuff years ago since I like to wax a car every few months, until I ran into Ceramic Coatings. You can't wax the film plastic coatings. What I do, is I bought a 3'x8' roll of plastic film (3-M)(very cheap on Amazon and even cheaper at Ali-Express) to apply on interior bottom of door edges where shoes scuff the door getting in and out, and also around dash areas subject to scratches....and anywhere plastic is going to get scratched....when the self-adhesive plastic sheets gets a little abused I just pull it off and replace it...again it is very cheap. If I find exterior areas likely to get hit with gravel I will certainly apply plastic film over those spots....I will definitely get a bug guard for the front of the hood...but will be looking for a bug guard that stands more upright than Fords bug-guard, upright bug guards definitely help keep bugs off of the windshield....

Anybody can do a ceramic coating....just buy a Ceramic Coating Kit that has all the proper Application Pads, and most important the high quality Micro-Fiber rags....and follow mfger's directions. For a Maverick, 3 hours max...but car has to be stored away from rain for 24 hours.
Sir, that was really nice of you to take the time to write this response - excellent assistance! Thanks so much!

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did the below description of Ceramic Coating applications - "ANYBODY can do a Ceramic Coating on a Maverick in about 3 hours."!!!

All vehicles and motorcycles I have have been ceramic coated. ALL DIY! Anybody can apply their own ceramic coating, about as much time as waxing a car twice. One of the most critical parts of applying it is getting other coating off of the vehicle with something like "Rustoleum Tar and Wax remover. For any ceramic coating to stick and last this step is essential. Most new cars come with a sprayed on coating for use during shipping of the vehicle....(some dealers take it off, some do not) IT needs to come off for a ceramic coating to stick. My 911 ceramic coating has been on for 16 months and still beads like glass.

The most important item for a really good ceramic coating is the best micro fiber rags you can get...most of those at autoparts stores are not even close to what is needed.

the Best Ceramic coatings are from a complete KIT, that includes all the applicator pads, detail instructions, and most important the very high grade Micro-Fiber rags. I think I buy mine from "The Rag Shop"...all they do is sell the highest micro-fiber rags. I find the best prep cleaner prior to putting on the Ceramic Coatings is "Rustoleum Tar and Wax Remover", that is taken off with liso. rubbing alcohol and a good micro-fiber rag(s)
What it is that you wrote here: "liso." rubbing alcohol? a mistyped word?

Jlemke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are but again, I didn't say protective films, I was talking about dealer paint protection packages which ARE NOT film or ceramic, they're really not much more than a wax.
I guess I thought you were referring to the protection package that involved the film. Although thinking about that now, it's factory, not dealer. My bad.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sir, that was really nice of you to take the time to write this response - excellent assistance! Thanks so much!
I have been seriously thinking about applying my own ceramic coating but have 2 things giving me great concern.

1- I don't have a garage that i can work out of.

and

2- most ceramic coatings require a cure time where they can not get wet. if i can't garage it during that time, how can I guarantee it won't get wet, especially when taking delivery in (i hope) November in Ohio?

or am i over thinking these things?

fwiw- im looking at the AMMO NYC Reflex Pro

Sponsored

srender517

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Passport
How is trash in the paint? When I got my 2019 mustang GT delivered there were numerous spots of trash in the clearcoat from the factory. It seemed like a normal thing for most S550 mustang owners.

Mite-o-Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe I’ll have to get the front end wrapped in ppf after all…
What do you think a paint protection wrap would cost though? I had it done on my Corvette entirely 3 years ago and cost over $5000. Just doing the front honestly wouldnt be enough when 75% of the rest of the truck is exposed.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How is trash in the paint? When I got my 2019 mustang GT delivered there were numerous spots of trash in the clearcoat from the factory. It seemed like a normal thing for most S550 mustang owners.
Trash? What does that mean exactly?

Texchappy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MINI Cooper S cabrio, 2014 Lincoln Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because of this thread and suggestions what can anyone give me their experience with Si02 products. What is a good quality brand. Thanks!
I finally took the plunge in the spring. I looked through several brands and watched a lot of videos. I finally chose CarPro CQuartz Lite. It is a true coating but one with less SIO2 solids. It comes in a larger bottle than a non-light coating and doesn’t require as long a cure time. It’s been amazing. It sheds water and dirt to a superior degree than anything I’ve used in the past.

Two things I learned: Lighting is important! I found that applying outside in a slightly overcast day was the best because my garage lighting stinks. Secondly, buy more applicators! I think it made my job harder because I was babying the applicator and worried that the product would cure before I finished my wife’s huge Navigator.

I also used Griot‘s Ceramic 3in1 spray On my son’s car when he went off to college. I don’t see it everyday but in test videos I’ve seen it last 8 plus months easily. It’s a lot cheaper ($20) and you might find it locally at an auto parts store or Target. It’s pretty easy to use also. It’s got a touch of carnuba in it so it might not be the best choice for a metallic paint though.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What do you think a paint protection wrap would cost though? I had it done on my Corvette entirely 3 years ago and cost over $5000. Just doing the front honestly wouldnt be enough when 75% of the rest of the truck is exposed.
$1800 for full hood, fenders, mirrors, and bumper.

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What it is that you wrote here: "liso." rubbing alcohol? a mistyped word?
can never spell it = "isopropyl" - the first aid version of alcohol.

srender517

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Passport
Trash? What does that mean exactly?
I found debris in the paint when my car arrived. It looks like dirt or dust and it was baked into the clearcoat. I asked my local Ford dealer and they offered to repaint my roof and trunk. There were lots of s550 mustang owners with paint defects when their cars arrived.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know about paint being "soft", but in every new car I've owned I've been told to let the paint cure for at least 30 days before using any treatments. An excerpt from my XC90 manual:

Ford Maverick Soft paint? Rock chips after 400 miles PAINT_2020XC90

At least they look like easy touch-ups. Use a toothpick instead of the crappy nail polish brush they give you.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I finally took the plunge in the spring. I looked through several brands and watched a lot of videos. I finally chose CarPro CQuartz Lite. It is a true coating but one with less SIO2 solids. It comes in a larger bottle than a non-light coating and doesn’t require as long a cure time. It’s been amazing. It sheds water and dirt to a superior degree than anything I’ve used in the past.

Two things I learned: Lighting is important! I found that applying outside in a slightly overcast day was the best because my garage lighting stinks. Secondly, buy more applicators! I think it made my job harder because I was babying the applicator and worried that the product would cure before I finished my wife’s huge Navigator.

I also used Griot‘s Ceramic 3in1 spray On my son’s car when he went off to college. I don’t see it everyday but in test videos I’ve seen it last 8 plus months easily. It’s a lot cheaper ($20) and you might find it locally at an auto parts store or Target. It’s pretty easy to use also. It’s got a touch of carnuba in it so it might not be the best choice for a metallic paint though.
Awesome info and exactly what I need. Thanks

Coachman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also, holy swirls Batman!
80257BCA-C35D-43F0-B949-D776D59BBEE5.jpeg

touch those pin holes up, get paint correction, then ppf the whole truck. That’s all that can really be done here. Otherwise it’ll be all chipped to hell in a few months at this rate.
I ordered the A51 color and now I'm thinking of changing it to black, since a friend who owns a body shop told me that black (news to me) is probably the strongest paint. 🤔??
Sponsored