XLT
First Name
Edge
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE CAYMAN S
Trim
XLT
What it is that you wrote here: "liso." rubbing alcohol? a mistyped word?
can never spell it = "isopropyl" - the first aid version of alcohol.
Advertisement

srender517

Lariat
First Name
Shannon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Passport
Trim
Lariat
Trash? What does that mean exactly?
I found debris in the paint when my car arrived. It looks like dirt or dust and it was baked into the clearcoat. I asked my local Ford dealer and they offered to repaint my roof and trunk. There were lots of s550 mustang owners with paint defects when their cars arrived.

Jonny44

XLT
First Name
Jon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 02 Volvo S60 AWD
Trim
XLT
I don't know about paint being "soft", but in every new car I've owned I've been told to let the paint cure for at least 30 days before using any treatments. An excerpt from my XC90 manual:

PAINT_2020XC90.jpg

At least they look like easy touch-ups. Use a toothpick instead of the crappy nail polish brush they give you.

uh50

XL
First Name
Howard
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, Charcoal Grey
Trim
XL
I finally took the plunge in the spring. I looked through several brands and watched a lot of videos. I finally chose CarPro CQuartz Lite. It is a true coating but one with less SIO2 solids. It comes in a larger bottle than a non-light coating and doesn’t require as long a cure time. It’s been amazing. It sheds water and dirt to a superior degree than anything I’ve used in the past.

Two things I learned: Lighting is important! I found that applying outside in a slightly overcast day was the best because my garage lighting stinks. Secondly, buy more applicators! I think it made my job harder because I was babying the applicator and worried that the product would cure before I finished my wife’s huge Navigator.

I also used Griot‘s Ceramic 3in1 spray On my son’s car when he went off to college. I don’t see it everyday but in test videos I’ve seen it last 8 plus months easily. It’s a lot cheaper ($20) and you might find it locally at an auto parts store or Target. It’s pretty easy to use also. It’s got a touch of carnuba in it so it might not be the best choice for a metallic paint though.
Awesome info and exactly what I need. Thanks

Coachman

XLT
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Cadillac DHS
Trim
XLT
Also, holy swirls Batman!
80257BCA-C35D-43F0-B949-D776D59BBEE5.jpeg

touch those pin holes up, get paint correction, then ppf the whole truck. That’s all that can really be done here. Otherwise it’ll be all chipped to hell in a few months at this rate.
I ordered the A51 color and now I'm thinking of changing it to black, since a friend who owns a body shop told me that black (news to me) is probably the strongest paint. 🤔??

Sandstorm

First Name
Anonymous
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Trim
Undecided
I ordered the A51 color and now I'm thinking of changing it to black, since a friend who owns a body shop told me that black (news to me) is probably the strongest paint. 🤔??
I'd take that with a grain of salt when choosing your vehicle's color. It doesn't mean certain colors aren't going to have problems though, but the reason for those problems can be varied.

Coachman

XLT
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Cadillac DHS
Trim
XLT
I'd take that with a grain of salt when choosing your vehicle's color. It doesn't mean certain colors aren't going to have problems though, but the reason for those problems can be varied.
You are probably right, Sandstorm, maybe I'd just be better off getting the front end wrapped and call it a day. 👍

Texchappy

First Edition
First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MINI Cooper S cabrio, 2014 Lincoln Navigator
Trim
First Edition
Another lite product coating product I haven’t used but have read great things about: Gyeon CanCoat. It’s easier to apply than CQuartz lite but has a little less durability from what I understand. Something for folks to look into if they’re interested.

stick

XLT
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
Trim
XLT
Man I hate to see that happening.

Sorry Dude, I know how that makes stomach turn over when it happens on a brand new vehicle. 🙁
UGH! Please say it isnt so! I naively thought paint was a universal and figured out. My 2013 VW jetta is still perfect after 9 years and 10s of thousands of interstate high speed driving. NO chips on hood. may have to do the paint protection wrap after all as this is a 'til it dies' car for me

stick

XLT
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
Trim
XLT
You are probably right, Sandstorm, maybe I'd just be better off getting the front end wrapped and call it a day. 👍
may be worth ceramic coating if the warranty covers chips

Ron Neal

XLT
First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger and sold it recently
Trim
XLT
Black looks nice but a real PITA to keep clean and shows every imperfection. Everyone should own a black car or truck once. :ROFLMAO:

Delzona

XLT
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ranger, '15 Sportster 72, '21 Road King Special
Trim
XLT
Black looks nice but a real PITA to keep clean and shows every imperfection. Everyone should own a black car or truck once. :ROFLMAO:
I owned a '08 F150 that was black and it always looked great for the first 15 minutes after getting washed! 😕☹🤣

Last edited:

WesM

XLT
First Name
Wes
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Civic
Trim
XLT
How hard is PPF to put on and not goof up? Is it something that can be DIYed and look decent on the first try or two? It kinda looks like a vinyl wrap almost in the videos I have seen.

First Name
Saurabh
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Trim
XLT
How hard is PPF to put on and not goof up? Is it something that can be DIYed and look decent on the first try or two? It kinda looks like a vinyl wrap almost in the videos I have seen.
I'm also looking into this but what I've found from reading online is if it's precut it should be doable. Some spots with curves n bends are tricky like side mirrors. But pre cut PPF almost costs the same as getting it installed from 3rd party and kinda defeats the purpose. Cutting it yourself precisely is tough I think.

Redwun

XLT
First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost
Trim
XLT
It appears the Maverick may be plagued by an issue very common with the Bronco Sport. Three pit marks / rock chips in the front end of my vehicle already after just 400 miles.

0778A486-B301-4369-A76B-1BC663B729C2.jpeg

56BB7F6B-6027-4F41-B7DD-000ABD40DE83.jpeg

BD9B10EA-1F0E-41D7-AB79-74A98FBD1975.jpeg
Glad I ordered the plastic sheet for protection, now considering other options as well. I did order the Bushwacker fender flares (it is 1.5” of additional coverage)

Advertisement

Advertisement