Halabrad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sedona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pros / cons? Recommendations, especially if expecting a fair amount of snow and drastic temperature changes?
Sponsored

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm looking at these also, never wanted one in the past but the more I think about one the better it sounds. Have decided on Hard, Not worried about snow but can get a lot of rain and Hail, I have had plenty of Jeeps and the soft tops are basically the same as the soft cover, good for 3-5 years then they start to show there age and tear/rip on corners, high stress areas. Also I'm looking at security, a soft cover will be out of side/out of mind but still easy to cut open. With the Hard should last longer and with the remote locking tailgates we get better security.

Not to hijack your post but any input on flip top vs roll up would be great.
currently looking at these two

https://www.carid.com/2022-ford-maverick-tonneau-covers/#:~:text=BakFlip G2 Hard Folding

https://www.carid.com/2022-ford-mav...ry-hard-roll-up-tonneau-cover-4249700368.html

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm looking at these also, never wanted one in the past but the more I think about one the better it sounds. Have decided on Hard, Not worried about snow but can get a lot of rain and Hail, I have had plenty of Jeeps and the soft tops are basically the same as the soft cover, good for 3-5 years then they start to show there age and tear/rip on corners, high stress areas. Also I'm looking at security, a soft cover will be out of side/out of mind but still easy to cut open. With the Hard should last longer and with the remote locking tailgates we get better security.

Not to hijack your post but any input on flip top vs roll up would be great.
currently looking at these two

https://www.carid.com/2022-ford-maverick-tonneau-covers/#:~:text=BakFlip G2 Hard Folding

https://www.carid.com/2022-ford-mav...ry-hard-roll-up-tonneau-cover-4249700368.html
I prefer the hard. Had a Bakflip on my Tacoma for the 6 years I had it. Doesn't degrade like vinyl does. It looked the same from the day I installed it to the day I traded the truck in. All the rolling ones are vinyl topped unless you go retractable. The only downside to the hard folding is you lose view out the rear if you use it fully open often. I added a power tailgate lock that unlocked when I opened my doors. Everything was always dry and secured. The hard also lay more flush and look cleaner IMO.

Ford Maverick Soft or hard tonneau cover? IMG-20111223-00019

Last edited:

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pros / cons? Recommendations, especially if expecting a fair amount of snow and drastic temperature changes?
I wouldn't even consider soft with frequent snow. The hard ones can support 300-500 pounds.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No direct experience myself but I have checked out the soft tonneau fold up cover my neighbor has on a Tacoma and was impressed. It was easy to use and install/remove, didn’t appear to have issues in bad weather and is light as well. Another friend with an F150 has a hard trifold but it is never removed, it’s fairly heavy to open as expected but not hard to fold all the way back. He needs it though because his truck is parked outside 24/7 in an apartment complex and used for his business, so the extra security is needed.

I’m probably going with a soft trifold or soft roll up. I’m not too worried about someone cutting it up because I don’t plan to leave anything in the bed when the truck is sitting at home in my driveway or garage. For trips, I’m ok with the risk as I generally don’t leave expensive items even in my current vehicles for long when traveling. Weather-wise we get snow and cold but winters generally aren’t too harsh here in South New Jersey so for the 1 time it might be a pain to open, I can live with it.

If I lived in an apartment, the city/Philly, townhome community or used it for a business where the truck is outside 24/7, hard trifold all the way. The added security is worth it, especially if you plan on keeping anything in the bed 24/7. You can be in the safest of neighborhoods and someone will come along and either dump trash in your truck or steal an old moldy bag of $2.00 sand from Lowe’s because it was just there lol. Been there done that with a crappy F150.

Sponsored

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I prefer the hard. Had a Bakflip on my Tacoma for the 6 years I had it. Doesn't degrade like vinyl does. It looked the same from the day I installed it to the day I traded the truck in. All the rolling ones are vinyl topped unless you go retractable. The only downside to the hard folding is you lose view out the rear if you use it fully open often. I added a power tailgate lock that unlocked when I opened my doors. Everything was always dry and secured.

IMG-20111223-00019.jpg
Which Bakflip model?

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"I’m probably going with a soft trifold or soft roll up. I’m not too worried about someone cutting it up because I don’t plan to leave anything in the bed when the truck is sitting at home in my driveway or garage. For trips, I’m ok with the risk as I generally don’t leave expensive items even in my current vehicles for long when traveling. Weather-wise we get snow and cold but winters generally aren’t too harsh here in South New Jersey so for the 1 time it might be a pain to open, I can live with it."

I'm not worried about them taking anything, my use as a Realtor will be yard signs, a camp chair for open houses and fishing equipment from time to time. My worry is they see it's covered and think there may be something worth taking under it. I.E. more damage to the truck than value of what is taken.

bighap

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the security and look of hard covers but I don't like how they block the window or give you the whole bed. If I want to haul my motorcycle or something large I need the whole already small box! I'm leaving towards a soft roll up.

OP
OP

Halabrad

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sedona
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
how easily are the hard roll ups rolled? One handed from one side or do you need to go both and it takes a few minutes and a bit of a process?

Sponsored

fivehoyts

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul !/Chevy Trailblazer/Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would like to skip the soft top and go straight to the topper, but I did not see it on the order form.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2002 Sporttrac had hard cover that folded in half. It also was easily removable but heavy. I put a strap around it and lowered one end onto a hand truck to move it to a shed. It still looked good when I sold the truck in 2019.

I plan to get a hard cover eventually but it has to be removeable in 5-10 minutes work. Motorcycles and covers don't play together.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how easily are the hard roll ups rolled? One handed from one side or do you need to go both and it takes a few minutes and a bit of a process?
I have a Bak Revolver X4s hard roll up on order. They do roll up with one hand from one side once you unlatch them.

silvy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the soft trifold. On my 2011 Silverado I have an Extang Trifecta soft trifold. Still looks great after 10 years.

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
I would like to skip the soft top and go straight to the topper, but I did not see it on the order form.
Check the build and price on the ford website. Toppers are on there now.
Sponsored