Sponsored

SoCal dealer South Bay Ford admits mess up, still threatens to cancel and sell with markup if I don't take it today

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a picture of my dealer installed options, which were ordered from Ford and on the official window sticker, which the dealership said they could not install. But still made me come get the truck off of their lot or else they would sell the car to someone else at a markup.

There's a long history here (16 months wait) but South Bay Ford finally got my Maverick in, and told me to come pick it up today (90 miles round trip) as it was ready. When I arrived, the add-ons weren't installed. They told me I had to pay for them even though I'd requested they be removed before the truck went into production (they would not respond). I agreed to pay for them in full, but said they needed to actually be installed.
Ultimately, the sales manager came in and told me that I either needed to take the truck or they would sell it for $5000 markup to someone else. He said they would give me nothing, not even the discount on labor that the sales guy originally offered me. Then he stormed out and said he was busy that day, and went and ate lunch in the lobby lol.
I mean, I am sitting in the new Maverick minus the dealer add-ons (which are in a cardboard box in the backseat because they refused to install), so I am overall happy. But man what a trash experience after 16 months.
IMG_4621.jpeg
Well, in a couple of years the tide will turn and they will regret the bad reviews you gave them.
Sponsored

40caliber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
forty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Every vehicle I’ve looked at in the last month has been MSRP or lower, far as I can tell things are returning to normal, give it 6 months and a base hybrid will be $20,000 and no delivery charge.

Wholesale values are dropping about 5% a week

$20000, lol sure

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB XLT LuX FX4 4k cp360 ordered!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Obviously they're taking advantage of you because they know it will sell at a mark up if you don't take. Seems like there's not much you can do about it.

This is why I hate stealerships and all salesmen.

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB XLT LuX FX4 4k cp360 ordered!
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why don't all of us leave a bad review on there? lol

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is what I don't get, there is always a survey sent. I guess Ford doesn't read them....
I’ve purchased a ‘22 and a ‘23 Maverick and never received any surveys from Ford.

Sponsored

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is how this story makes me feel. Put me in a room with those people "I just want to talk to them".

Ford Maverick SoCal dealer South Bay Ford admits mess up, still threatens to cancel and sell with markup if I don't take it today IMG_20231123_171148

OP
OP
mattfromca

mattfromca

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did get an invitation from Ford to leave feedback on that dealer. I left a very responsible but descriptive feedback. This dealership is scum.

Walter56

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Other people have had it far worse. However this is a dealership that was supposed to be "a good one" and the guy in charge of all sales treats customers like garbage. I couldn't have been more reasonable.
Some people like this guy don't understand reasonable. They see it as weakness. You need to make a scene on the showroom floor. My dad picketed in front of one when they tried to mess with him.

OP
OP
mattfromca

mattfromca

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update this afternoon: three days later (one being Thanksgiving), the general manager Adolfo emailed me and offered to make this right. I will update if they do.

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They can't force you to buy anything you don't want. If they wouldn't sell you the Maverick without the add on's and your proof of requesting them removed, that's on them. Personally, with that sort of mentality - I'd walk and I'd wait another year for an order I place elsewhere.

I have to agree about making a scene at that point. It sucks and it's the opposite of what should be done, but eff them... straight up.

One of these days the dealers are going to push the wrong mfer and find their whole lot up in flames the next morning... I've seen people hit their limit for a lot less now days. Or they take it a step further and make it personal... Sometimes it's the only way people learn.

atldump

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
why do folks buy cars from dealers who give them crappy service/customer service?

walk away! this isnt 2020/21 anymore. order another one from another dealer. (most likely cheaper)

BostonMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
why do folks buy cars from dealers who give them crappy service/customer service?

walk away! this isnt 2020/21 anymore. order another one from another dealer. (most likely cheaper)
The Maverick has increased in price each model year since release. Assuming the agreed sale price was MSRP less any applicable rebates and price protections, walking away benefits the dealer far more than finalizing the purchase and leaving a bad survey after the sale. The bad survey is the sole reason the dealer is now reaching out and offering to "make it right". They now have the penalties of the survey hanging over them and if not addressed, that survey will cost them a lot more than the accessory installation they refused at the time of sale. It will haunt them for months to come.

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ON EDIT: I have to eat my words. I went back and looked at my original spec's and it does say the window deflectors are dealer installed, shipped seperately to the dealer, and does not say who is responsible for paying for the installation. I ASSUMED Ford paid for it. That doesn't mean it is.
I wonder if this is a "fine print" thing.

When we ordered our 2022 Mav we added as "accessories":
1. a trailer hitch,
2. Maverick logo floor mats,
3. and a decal for the lower body side.

As far as installing:
1. the hitch (far less in cost when added at production) was installed in production,
2. the mats were sent "in" a package in the truck but not "on" the floor boards and were "dealer" installed at no charge when they prepped it for our picking it up,
3. but the Ford Accessory decals were and apparently cannot be window sticker but were ordered separately through and came to the dealer but were "dealer installed" and we had to pay for the install.

So, I wonder if the "fine print" is "any accessories that are paid for by the customer as part of the order either will or will not be installed on the production line. Ford may or may not disclose which will or will not be. Ford will not pay for those not factory installed. It is therefore up to the dealer to install or not install them either free of charge or at the customers expense or for the customer to install or not install them as they see fit."

Last edited:

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB AWD BAP CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This is a picture of my dealer installed options, which were ordered from Ford and on the official window sticker, which the dealership said they could not install. But still made me come get the truck off of their lot or else they would sell the car to someone else at a markup.

There's a long history here (16 months wait) but South Bay Ford finally got my Maverick in, and told me to come pick it up today (90 miles round trip) as it was ready. When I arrived, the add-ons weren't installed. They told me I had to pay for them even though I'd requested they be removed before the truck went into production (they would not respond). I agreed to pay for them in full, but said they needed to actually be installed.
Ultimately, the sales manager came in and told me that I either needed to take the truck or they would sell it for $5000 markup to someone else. He said they would give me nothing, not even the discount on labor that the sales guy originally offered me. Then he stormed out and said he was busy that day, and went and ate lunch in the lobby lol.
I mean, I am sitting in the new Maverick minus the dealer add-ons (which are in a cardboard box in the backseat because they refused to install), so I am overall happy. But man what a trash experience after 16 months.
Tim Bartz at Long McArthur Ford discussed this topic on his live stream this week. Dealer Installed Options (DIOs) ordered with your new truck include a fee from Ford to install your options.

Please help others avoid going to South Bay Ford by submitting the following form. I will add them to the list of dealer warnings.

https://forms.gle/Brw7EfA3SZq9pNtL7

I hope you are enjoying your Maverick otherwise.
Sponsored