Sponsored

So, you've ordered. Do you have concerns?

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey All, I finally put my order, a hybrid Lariat Lux, in, and had it confirmed 21 Jul.

Do any of you have nagging questions about what we're getting? Anybody else concerned about what corners were cut to get the entry price point so low?

Mea Culpa! My only concern was a phantom! Ty bschurman!

Overall, the Maverick still checks all the boxes for me, and I'm taking delivery of mine, unless there are major concerns that bubble-up between now and Dec/Jan (or later).

What about the rest of you? Anything cooling your feet at all?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not that worried about it and I'm someone who is eyes wide open about what a Ford is - built by the lowest bidder. The last new one I bought 15 years ago ended in a lemon law buyback.

That said, the majority of this truck is derivative of other well proven platform and drivetrain components so there really isn't any bleeding edge stuff here. As to traction control, everything has it. If I lived in an area where traction is key to my life, I would definitely step up to AWD and not mess around.

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWD will drive fine in the snow with snow tires. Sure AWD would be SLIGHTLY better (with snow tires) but its the tires getting you the traction.

But yes, I hope that the maverick fits what I want. I cant wait to test drive to see driving noise, materials, etc. I am coming from an SE Focus so materials will be the same or better, and honestly with a toddler and dogs, I just need durable, not 'nice', materials. Also need to make sure its built well and the motor feels strong (2.0T). I liked the 2.3T in the ranger, so guessing this will drive just as nice.

I am also looking at the new Frontier as the other midsized trucks dont work for me in one way or other (Tacoma - back seat to small, Ranger - Drives bouncy, Colorado - feels outdated). Once the local nissan dealership takes stock (possibly late august) I will take that one for a test drive. I really NEED to tow 2,500 lbs, maybe slightly more, so the Maverick works, but just barely ( i only tow 3/4 of the rated weight, safety factor for me). A midsized would be nice, but a 4x4 are also 35k.

Basically at this point, its Maverick or Frontier. They are different classes and different price points, so its hard to compare them. Going to come down to a drive test.

F1PRB22GA

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One issue that stands out to me, was one Mexican speaking video where they said they are hiring 500 BRAND NEW workers to build the Mav.

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally, I wonder about how the FWD will handle in the snow. I've not seen anything regarding traction control, or attempts to equalize power. So, I'm assuming it will have some issues trying to get moving in the snow, and/or when the road is wet. This isn't a massive concern, as I've driven FWD's w/o traction control, power steering, or any other bells and whistles. But, I have driven the last 10ish years with traction control, so I wonder how this will effect handling in general.
The Maverick comes with ABS and driveline Traction control so you don't have to worry about that.

Also, with a good set of winter tires, you'll be just fine in any snow or ice on a normal road. Much of the problem is slowing down and you need traction for that. AWD doesn't help anyone stop, just get going better. I personally have ordered a set of Nokian hakkapeliitta r3 suv for my Maverick and I have no concerns about snow. I am in NH / MA area so we get plenty of it and I have run with these tires in the winter on a FWD minivan and my GTI and never had a problem with getting moving or stopping.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick comes with ABS and driveline Traction control so you don't have to worry about that.

Also, with a good set of winter tires, you'll be just fine in any snow or ice on a normal road. Much of the problem is slowing down and you need traction for that. AWD doesn't help anyone stop, just get going better. I personally have ordered a set of Nokian hakkapeliitta r3 suv for my Maverick and I have no concerns about snow. I am in NH / MA area so we get plenty of it and I have run with these tires in the winter on a FWD minivan and my GTI and never had a problem with getting moving or stopping.
Whoops! Ty!

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
No real concerns but I know there's a definite chance that once I get to test drive one, I'll pass. I've never driven a hybrid and have no clue whether the driving experience will be what I'm looking for.

donbreiner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey All, I finally put my order, a hybrid Lariat Lux, in, and had it confirmed 21 Jul.

Do any of you have nagging questions about what we're getting? Anybody else concerned about what corners were cut to get the entry price point so low?

Mea Culpa! My only concern was a phantom! Ty bschurman!

Overall, the Maverick still checks all the boxes for me, and I'm taking delivery of mine, unless there are major concerns that bubble-up between now and Dec/Jan (or later).

What about the rest of you? Anything cooling your feet at all?
What date did you order & what date did Ford confirm? I ordered on 7/14/21 & still waiting for email confirmation from Ford.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
No real concerns but I know there's a definite chance that once I get to test drive one, I'll pass. I've never driven a hybrid and have no clue whether the driving experience will be what I'm looking for.
You could test drive an escape to get a feel

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
You could test drive an escape to get a feel
Definitely a great idea for many that are on the fence. If I was hard pressed to buy a vehicle soon, I would've done that so I could be prepared. As it is?
  1. Even with a similar powertrain, nothing will be exactly like test driving the actual vehicle.
  2. If I don't like it, I'm more than happy to continue with my current vehicle indefinitely.
  3. I can be very patient.
I figure worst case scenario? My dealer will get an addtl, very optioned out Mav added to their allotment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What date did you order & what date did Ford confirm? I ordered on 7/14/21 & still waiting for email confirmation from Ford.
I submitted my order to my dealer, (Dick Masheter Ford in Columbus, OH) on 7/20, and I got my confirmation email the next day.

OP
OP
zeketolliver

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not all hybrids are created equal, that's for certain. I have a 2013 Honda Insight and it can be pretty frustrating at times. It has a chain driven CVT, and it can be pretty jumpy at times, especially when I run AC while the engine is cold. The Insight was my first hybrid, and it is easily the worst driving experience I've gotten out of a vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years--Honda Odyssey, Kia Spectra, and a Dodge Neon) However, it seems like the hybrid driving experience has greatly improved over the last decade.

The 2021 Escape Hybrid is pretty well regarded and might give a similar feel as others have noted.

From Edmunds:

"Acceleration, or lack thereof, can be an issue with eco-minded hybrids. But the Escape Hybrid doesn't feel sluggish. Its 0-60 mph time of 8.5 seconds is unremarkable but expected; the Honda CR-V Hybrid had the same 0-60 mph time. Around town the Escape Hybrid feels peppy. Ford did a good job tuning the brakes; there's no noticeable switch from regenerative braking to the friction brakes. That said, braking force doesn't ramp up quickly, so you may have to hit the pedal harder than expected during the last few mph.

The Hybrid's CVT is much smoother than the standard Escape's eight-speed automatic. The only fault is that it doesn't improve engine response in Sport mode as much as we'd like, so you're never really in the right powerband for aggressive driving. The Hybrid has better steering and handling than similar small SUVs. Oddly, we found the Escape Hybrid to be more composed around turns than the regular Escape."

donbreiner

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Finally received my confirmation from Ford yesterday, 7/26/21. I believe my dealer did not enter the order until yesterday, although I have no documentation? Anyway happy that it is finally confirmed. Lariat Luxury Pkg
First Edition Pkg
Ford CoPilot 360

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One issue that stands out to me, was one Mexican speaking video where they said they are hiring 500 BRAND NEW workers to build the Mav.
I won't worry about this issue too much. I used to work in a small company that produces very reliable products. Some screws must be installed with a specific number of turns. So they ordered a special electric screwdriver, which can only rotate a specific number of turns. Any worker, even with only two hours of training, can't mess it up. If Ford didn’t know manufacturing better than that small company, I would be surprised.
Sponsored