Sponsored

So is my Maverick under recall or not? (Shipping with the faulty side airbags?)

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay, so long story short, July 2021 order, originally went into production July 8th (the last day the units with faulty airbags were made apparently. Yay.). It went in and out of production multiple times until September 20th when it was officially listed as "Built" in the tracker.. My dealer called me and told me it's been built, but there's a hold on it due to the side airbag recall. His computer system says it's not able to sell until it gets fixed, which he estimates could be around March.

I wanted clarification on the issue, so I went to Ford's website to talk to the chatbox. They gave me the number for Ford's marketing team (seemed weird, but they said that's who handles this). I called them, was curious what was up with my truck, and they said it went back into production in late September (the 28th), and that they fixed the airbag and the truck was good to go.

Fast forward to Monday morning this week, and I get an email that the truck has been shipped, and will arrive between October 25th and the 31st. Sounds great! My dealer called me and essentially told me the same thing: It's on the way, but their systems don't say anything about it being fixed and that there is still a no-sell hold on it. He's not happy about it because if he can't sell it, he has to keep it around the lot until potentially March and pay interest on it.

SO anyway, called Ford again, asked them what's up. They said the truck is in Arizona, won't arrive until late November (seems like a long wait considering it's going to Portland). According to them, there is no hold on the vehicle and it should be okay to sell, but the guy couldn't confirm if, when it went back into production, the airbag was fixed or not.

Look I know this forum is full of whining, and I've done that over the past year too, but this is patently absurd. How in the hell am I getting two completely different stories from either my dealer and Ford corporate? How come at no point during any of this has ford notified me of the recall or sent any follow-up emails? I now live five hours away from the dealer I purchased it from, and making plans to retrieve the vehicle with no idea as to when it will show up or even if i'm going to be able to buy it when it does is monumentally frustrating.

I am not sure anyone on this board can actually help me (maybe the PR/marketing team lurkers might. If that's you, please watch this video), but does ANYONE here have any idea what's going on? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try running the VIN on Ford's site or NHTSA site and see if it shows anything.

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I didn’t go far as you but I did get a letter from my postal mail from Ford stating my Maverick and the airbags recall but if I goto website at ford web page it’s states my Maverick is not under recall. Doing an Autocheck the search did come up the recall but it stats is an option to do ( not mandatory) I plan to do an oil change at the dealership in the next few weeks and there I’ll find out ..

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Jcj280

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try running the VIN on Ford's site or NHTSA site and see if it shows anything.

Ford Maverick So is my Maverick under recall or not? (Shipping with the faulty side airbags?) FORD.JPG

This is showing up on NHTSA page. It says VIN Decoded clean. Does that mean it's good?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jcj280

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick So is my Maverick under recall or not? (Shipping with the faulty side airbags?) fordd.JPG

But here it says it's unrepaired...

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
fordd.JPG

But here it says it's unrepaired...
Unrepaired. So your dealer is likely right. Man that sucks about having to wait even longer.

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What also sucks is you have a vehicle that you can not safely drive or trade until early next year. purchased at Granger on 8-26 received the notice of recall September 2022, no they do not list a day. recall 22V594 side curtains. I became aware of this when i was attempting to trade and purchase at Carvana so if you were fortunate enough to get delivery you now have an unusable vehicle until the recall is performed. Now the 11 month wait will turn into 15 or 16 months - whenever the recall is completed. no good

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What also sucks is you have a vehicle that you can not safely drive or trade until early next year. purchased at Granger on 8-26 received the notice of recall September 2022, no they do not list a day. recall 22V594 side curtains. I became aware of this when i was attempting to trade and purchase at Carvana so if you were fortunate enough to get delivery you now have an unusable vehicle until the recall is performed. Now the 11 month wait will turn into 15 or 16 months - whenever the recall is completed. no good
The vehicle is far from unusable. The curtains don't meet federal standards, but the average age of vehicles on the road is about 12 years. How many of those do you think meet current federal safety standards?

You can drive the Maverick.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For this particular recall, there doesn't seem to be much of a safety issue in driving it. There are "stop driving" recalls for major safety concerns.
This airbag recall is not even a safety recall, it s a compliance recall (hence the C in the name of the FSA....22C20, not 22S20). There is nothing stopping a used vehicle with this recall being sold. The customer just has to be notified that there is an open recall on it.
The vehicle is not unusable. It is not unsaleable as a used vehicle (but yes, the open recall may affect the trade/sale price).

Sponsored

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The vehicle is far from unusable. The curtains don't meet federal standards, but the average age of vehicles on the road is about 12 years. How many of those do you think meet current federal safety standards?

You can drive the Maverick.
cant trade it

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For this particular recall, there doesn't seem to be much of a safety issue in driving it. There are "stop driving" recalls for major safety concerns.
This airbag recall is not even a safety recall, it s a compliance recall (hence the C in the name of the FSA....22C20, not 22S20). There is nothing stopping a used vehicle with this recall being sold. The customer just has to be notified that there is an open recall on it.
The vehicle is not unusable. It is not unsaleable as a used vehicle (but yes, the open recall may affect the trade/sale price).

carvana was informed of the recall and has the recall listed on the vehicle vin. and has not moved fwd until the recall is satisified

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
carvana was informed of the recall and has the recall listed on the vehicle vin. and has not moved fwd until the recall is satisified
That may be Carvana's policy. But that is that company's policy....used vehicles with open recalls can be sold (as long as the customer is informed, and it isn't a "stop driving" recall).

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try a place other than carvana? 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored