Snow Tires Recommendations?

adamek

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru Outback
I ordered mine on October 2. I'm hoping for it in January or February (probably over optimistic). FWD Hybrid and I'm planning to order snow tires for it. I'm leaning towards Nokian Hakkapellita. Any suggestions or recommendations. If I receive it in late March or later, I'll wait until next fall to buy them (unless I see a good end of season sale).
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree your hope of delivery time frame is Optimistic, probably more like May. Your choice of tires are on point for winter though.

7Litre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sonata Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s on my 2016 Sonata Hybrid here in central Maine. Over two winters, we didn't have a lot of stick-to-the-road snow days, and when they brine the Interstate, everything turns to slush and/or water. I was less than pleased with their performance under those conditions, but if you're somewhere that the snows fly and stick, you're on the right track, I'm sure.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Will never go wrong with Hakkas. The new x-ice snow looks great too. Since i live in the suburbs and the roads get plowed decently I use wrg4's in the winter instead of a full snow. They handle cold/dry and wet/slush a bit better imo. But obv not the ultimate snow/ice capability. I'm looking at the cross climate 2 for the mav next winter. They look amazing

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s on my 2016 Sonata Hybrid here in central Maine. Over two winters, we didn't have a lot of stick-to-the-road snow days, and when they brine the Interstate, everything turns to slush and/or water. I was less than pleased with their performance under those conditions, but if you're somewhere that the snows fly and stick, you're on the right track, I'm sure.
Had that exact experience. That's basically the worst conditions for a full snow tire. But if you live rural or need the most capability for the worst days you have to make that trade off.

Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hakas have a great reputation. Don't you want snow tires from Finland, rally crazy as they are?

That said, I've had great experience with Bridgestone Blizzaks. I'd recommend them.
Currently running Continental Winter Contacts. Happy enough, but wlast winter was mild and I didn't ski so I haven't challenged them.

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I can trade my tires for a decent price I am going with Michelin Crossclimate 2 on my hybrid.
Engineering Explained did a video on why he likes them. They are all season tire with winter ratings.

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid, Mini 4 door
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been wondering about these Viking Contacts (see below). But I've used Nokian Hakkapeliittas in the past on my Mini Cooper and loved them. Very interested to hear what folks recommend. Also, please define "Winter rated" on the Michelin Crossclimate 2 all-seasons, as I'm in NW Vermont. "Winter rated" for where exactly? Thanks to all!

RATED #1
VIKING CONTACT 7
Studless Winter Snow
https://www.townfairtire.com/brand/tires/continental/viking-contact-7/225~65r17t/04400300000/

Last edited:

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been wondering about these Viking Contacts (see below). But I've used Nokia Hakkapeliittas in the past on my Mini Cooper and loved them. Very interested to hear what folks recommend. Also, please define "Winter rated" on the Michelin Crossclimate 2 all-seasons, as I'm in NW Vermont. "Winter rated" for where exactly? Thanks to all!

RATED #1
VIKING CONTACT 7
Studless Winter Snow
https://www.townfairtire.com/brand/tires/continental/viking-contact-7/225~65r17t/04400300000/
The CC2 has the 3pms certification but it's an "all weather" tire. Meant to compete with the wrg4 and be something used all year. It doesn't have the capability of a full winter tire in deep snow and on ice. For a place like NW Vermont a full winter is def the play. But for me in metro milwaukee area the benefits of a tire that rides nicer on the highway and handles the wet/slush better is worth it.

Sponsored

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The CC2 has the 3pms certification but it's an "all weather" tire. Meant to compete with the wrg4 and be something used all year. It doesn't have the capability of a full winter tire in deep snow and on ice. For a place like NW Vermont a full winter is def the play. But for me in metro milwaukee area the benefits of a tire that rides nicer on the highway and handles the wet/slush better is worth it.
Thanks so much...!

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My sons and myself have had great experience with Bridgestone Blizzaks on many vehicles for many years.

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My sons and myself have had great experience with Bridgestone Blizzaks on many vehicles for many years.
Very helpful, thanks, as our local shop offers these and has the best service long-term.

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I've decided on the Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 as being an excellent match for the Maverick.
Sponsored