Sponsored

Skeptical and wondering ....... Feels like Seinfeld and the Car Rental Counter ....

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Jerry:
I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

Rental Car Agent:
We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Jerry:
But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.

Rental Car Agent:
I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry:
I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Early August I placed an order for a Lariat Hybrid. Not replacing anything, not trading in, just wanted one because it really will be a cool truck. Today I read the Ford - prior to the Maverick last summer - racked up 190,000 reservations for the Bronco which delivery of finished vehicles has been minimal at best Now Ford has informed dealers - uh we aren't taking any more reservations for the Bronco because we would be unable to fulfil them in THIS CALENDAR YEAR .... I see how many Mavericks have been delivered so far.... I see the notices of global shortages of things like folding covers and XLT and Lariat Parts - the semiconductor situation isn't getting any better anytime soon.... the list of uh we aint got none of those in the stockroom grows .. yet they are continuing to take reservations and orders. So here's what I'm wondering. How long really will be the wait for a 2022 Maverick to be built and in the driveway ? No way to tell. Did I pick an option that may delay the build 3 or 4 months or longer ? Hmm no way to tell. When Ford reveals the new 2023 Maverick and I haven't received one but I see hey they now have on the 2023 a Sync 4 radio instead of a Sync 3 ( which would probably be on the truck anyway if not a chip shortage ) and the Ford 360 is Improved - whatever improved whistles and bells that have been upgraded as manufacturers sometimes do (possibly they may not even upgrade technology due to the unfilled orders and call it a "carryover" to 2023 ) What will folks do if March rolls around and still no delivery of their order and they ARE replacing something and are in need of a vehicle sooner than later? Not trying to bash Ford - heck I have quite a bit of their stock but I do wonder about the reality of how many vehicles they can possibly DELIVER with all these issues with the supply chain and current backlog of orders and each day adding more "reservations" to the tally .
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Jerry:
I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

Rental Car Agent:
We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Jerry:
But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.

Rental Car Agent:
I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry:
I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Early August I placed an order for a Lariat Hybrid. Not replacing anything, not trading in, just wanted one because it really will be a cool truck. Today I read the Ford - prior to the Maverick last summer - racked up 190,000 reservations for the Bronco which delivery of finished vehicles has been minimal at best Now Ford has informed dealers - uh we aren't taking any more reservations for the Bronco because we would be unable to fulfil them in THIS CALENDAR YEAR .... I see how many Mavericks have been delivered so far.... I see the notices of global shortages of things like folding covers and XLT and Lariat Parts - the semiconductor situation isn't getting any better anytime soon.... the list of uh we aint got none of those in the stockroom grows .. yet they are continuing to take reservations and orders. So here's what I'm wondering. How long really will be the wait for a 2022 Maverick to be built and in the driveway ? No way to tell. Did I pick an option that may delay the build 3 or 4 months or longer ? Hmm no way to tell. When Ford reveals the new 2023 Maverick and I haven't received one but I see hey they now have on the 2023 a Sync 4 radio instead of a Sync 3 ( which would probably be on the truck anyway if not a chip shortage ) and the Ford 360 is Improved - whatever improved whistles and bells that have been upgraded as manufacturers sometimes do (possibly they may not even upgrade technology due to the unfilled orders and call it a "carryover" to 2023 ) What will folks do if March rolls around and still no delivery of their order and they ARE replacing something and are in need of a vehicle sooner than later? Not trying to bash Ford - heck I have quite a bit of their stock but I do wonder about the reality of how many vehicles they can possibly DELIVER with all these issues with the supply chain and current backlog of orders and each day adding more "reservations" to the tally .
Some good points - nothing that hasn't been covered 1,000 times over here though! To me I think the main difference between the Bronco and Maverick are driven by timing. The Bronco was known, reservations were early and before/during the Pandemic - it was likely much harder to forecast availability of parts and overall delivery capability. While the Maverick has been in the works for years, I get the impression that they were able to pivot and make changes to accommodate things like the chip shortages by going with the lower end radio/sync 3 (to use one of several examples).

Now, if you're sitting on a placed order and 2022 production is finished, and 2023 models now had a 12 inch screen with sync 4 - I suspect Ford would do what they did with the Bronco and upgrade buyers. On the other hand the cards being shown globally suggest availability of commodities like chips are going to continue for some time, potentially into 2023 already being mentioned. If that is the case, we are likely looking at what will be the current version of the Maverick at least for several years.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read an article yesterday that stated the Japanese company that makes chips for Ford, Toyota and Honda is working flat out 24/7 trying to fill orders, even adding more production equipment to help, but they feel it will be late into 2022 before they are caught up. They, like all manufacturing companies are struggling with supply and personnel issues. Personally I don't it is necessarily fair to bash Ford for production delays. Perhaps Ford could've just talked about releasing the Maverick later this year or even next year without even taking reservations and try to drum up enthusiasm for it, instead of stating they will have them build by the end of the year. I'm sure they had every intention of being able to produce the Maverick when they said they would. Also another member on the Forum posted how a major chemical company got shut down because of weather and they were (are?) the leading company for the main chemical used in the spray-in bedliner. This is of course beyond Ford's control so it just another issue to factor into our Mavericks being delayed. In the end, the Maverick will be here and some members on this Forum will have there's before the end of the year and others by early next year. I know my little Mav will be built and until it is I'll continue to look at aftermarket stuff to make my Mav my own and save more $$ for the down payment. I have no doubt that Mav is the truck to have!!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe I read Ford is no longer taking Reservations for Maverick.

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes but I think they are just telling people to go to the dealer to order. Just skipping a step. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According Tim Bartz they are not taking reservation on the Ford website. If you want a Maverick, now you have to go to your a dealership and place your reservation.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some good points - nothing that hasn't been covered 1,000 times over here though! To me I think the main difference between the Bronco and Maverick are driven by timing. The Bronco was known, reservations were early and before/during the Pandemic - it was likely much harder to forecast availability of parts and overall delivery capability. While the Maverick has been in the works for years, I get the impression that they were able to pivot and make changes to accommodate things like the chip shortages by going with the lower end radio/sync 3 (to use one of several examples).
I think another part of it is that the Maverick was likely designed from the ground up to be as minimalistic as possible in every way to reduce costs. It uses less exotic parts (Normal truck roof for example, none of those weird plastic things that they've recently announced they have to 100% replace for the Bronco), its got less options (The Bronco needs three models on its main banner to show you what it is, while the Maverick only needs one) , and they didn't try anything fancy that would require a lot of outside parts (Fancy modular bumpers, for example).

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford, like every other manufacturer of everything, is learning to cope with expected and completely unexpected shortages of parts and materials from offsite contractors who are experiencing unexpected shortages of materials, parts, and labor themselves. Ford NEVER promised us a Maverick in September. Or October.

We all need to chill out. Go try to buy a refrigerator or something. There's a shortage of those too.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Jerry:
I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding.
I rewatched this episode the other week! Timeless.

OP
OP
Redneck Garage

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
Redneck Garage

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
Redneck Garage

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I read an article yesterday that stated the Japanese company that makes chips for Ford, Toyota and Honda is working flat out 24/7 trying to fill orders, even adding more production equipment to help, but they feel it will be late into 2022 before they are caught up. They, like all manufacturing companies are struggling with supply and personnel issues. Personally I don't it is necessarily fair to bash Ford for production delays. Perhaps Ford could've just talked about releasing the Maverick later this year or even next year without even taking reservations and try to drum up enthusiasm for it, instead of stating they will have them build by the end of the year. I'm sure they had every intention of being able to produce the Maverick when they said they would. Also another member on the Forum posted how a major chemical company got shut down because of weather and they were (are?) the leading company for the main chemical used in the spray-in bedliner. This is of course beyond Ford's control so it just another issue to factor into our Mavericks being delayed. In the end, the Maverick will be here and some members on this Forum will have there's before the end of the year and others by early next year. I know my little Mav will be built and until it is I'll continue to look at aftermarket stuff to make my Mav my own and save more $$ for the down payment. I have no doubt that Mav is the truck to have!!
Ford Maverick Skeptical and wondering ....... Feels like Seinfeld and the Car Rental Counter .... 628762

As far as the chip situation Ford has THOUSANDS of completed pickups sitting in holding lots waiting for chips. These will get chips before most new builds.

OP
OP
Redneck Garage

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Most of it small inconsequential stuff from companies Ford has comparatively little influence over and which don't really impact the general function of the vehicle. Meanwhile the Bronco has a faulty roof, and core components that are necessary for the Bronco to even function have been out of stock.
All true but if they are out of the "small inconsequential stuff " lets say a wireless charger for a Lariat - that truck build/ order will not be started until all items needed for completion are on hand. See the problem ?

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Kinda related to all this…I thought Ford was going to start shipping vehicles to dealers to wait on chips. I’d much rather have my Maverick sitting at my local dealer than in the middle of the desert for 6 months. But I haven’t actually heard of any of that happening.
Sponsored